The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rupert Neve 6 Lunchbox and Retro Doublewide
Old 23rd March 2017
  #1
Gear Head
 

Rupert Neve 6 Lunchbox and Retro Doublewide

Hey all

Anyone else using a Retro Doublewide in a Rupert Neve Lunchbox? Mine is super noisy and very microphonic. I've tried it in 2 different Rupert Neve Racks and still the same. Put it in an API 6 Lunchbox and it works fine....
I'm in London so this UK power.
Old 24th March 2017
  #2
Here for the gear
 

I've had my DW in an older API 6 space lunchbox and a Lindell 10 space and both have been fine.
I would have thought that the fancier Rupert Neve box would have been just fine, as it claims to put out a lot of power...

Not exactly helpful to your situation, just worth noting that I haven't had any issues with the less expensive Lindell.
Old 24th March 2017
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSteve View Post
Hey all

Anyone else using a Retro Doublewide in a Rupert Neve Lunchbox? Mine is super noisy and very microphonic. I've tried it in 2 different Rupert Neve Racks and still the same. Put it in an API 6 Lunchbox and it works fine....
I'm in London so this UK power.
I am using a retro Dw in a vintage king 6 rack and it sounds beautiful.

I've got two of these units that are full of single and double modules and never had an issue.

Again no help regarding the rnd but just for the record this very compatible with the VK rack
Old 27th March 2017
  #4
Gear Maniac
I've had noise issues with my Retro DW when I didn't screw in the retaining screws. Maybe they are there for grounding as well as holding the module secure? Also, although the RND chassis advertises that it has a lot of power, I believe it's only 1000ma for 6 modules, which is actually pretty low (comparable to the original API lunchbox, but well below the latest API lunchbox and the Radial 6 pack), so maybe it's not enough for the DW.
Old 27th March 2017
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4001 View Post
I've had noise issues with my Retro DW when I didn't screw in the retaining screws. Maybe they are there for grounding as well as holding the module secure? Also, although the RND chassis advertises that it has a lot of power, I believe it's only 1000ma for 6 modules, which is actually pretty low (comparable to the original API lunchbox, but well below the latest API lunchbox and the Radial 6 pack), so maybe it's not enough for the DW.

I think this may be the answer here; the power. I pulled up the spec sheet and the DW takes 180. I'm not sure if it's 180 per side, 90 each side.. or just 180 from one slot and 0 from the other but it could be causing some issues.

I'm also not sure if the 1000ma from the RND is equally provisioning the 1000 or if it's one giant pool ( if other modules took less would it allow for another module to have more overhead?) I hope someone else can clarify .. but I have my own understandings based on your experience.
Old 27th March 2017
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrecording View Post
I think this may be the answer here; the power. I pulled up the spec sheet and the DW takes 180. I'm not sure if it's 180 per side, 90 each side.. or just 180 from one slot and 0 from the other but it could be causing some issues.
The DW only plugs into one slot, so my guess is that the Neve box just doesn't give it enough juice.
Old 27th March 2017
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboxed View Post
The DW only plugs into one slot, so my guess is that the Neve box just doesn't give it enough juice.
There should be more than enough power from the R6, which has a total of 1200mA (200mA per slot on average with no limit per slot).

What is showing up on the current usage meter?
Old 27th March 2017
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSteve View Post
Hey all

Anyone else using a Retro Doublewide in a Rupert Neve Lunchbox? Mine is super noisy and very microphonic. I've tried it in 2 different Rupert Neve Racks and still the same. Put it in an API 6 Lunchbox and it works fine....
I'm in London so this UK power.
This isn't something I have heard before, and I'm not sure why it would be fine in other racks but not the r6, but the vast majority of the time when a device goes "microphonic" it is a mechanical issue with components like tubes or sometimes capacitors in the audio path (the vibration from taping or sound waves moves a component internally and that gets into the audio path). Since the doublewide is a tube piece it would be prudent to try re-seating the tube.

Outside of that, try different slots. The link buss shouldn't be causing any issue, but it would be worth trying linked and unlinked if that fails.
Old 10th May 2017
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Just got a demo unit of the doublewide here, and I have the same issue with an R6.. I don't have any other lunchboxes to try, so I don't know if it's an issue with the doublewide or not.. I'm the UK too for what it's worth. Did the OP ever work out the problem? I've tried reseating the valves..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump