The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great Passive Monitors Studio Monitors
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Great Passive Monitors

Dear Slutz,

I have a great Class A power amp (Lindell AMPX) and two pairs of passive monitors. I'm not happy with either of them; one has too much bass (Triangle Heliade), and the other has too little (KEF LS50)!

I'm hoping for something with a flat response, doesn't need to go below 50Hz. Do you have any recommendations for very high quality passive monitors? Looking for something under $2000. Thanks!

P.S. I've only had the LS50 for ten days, it's possible they still need to break in.

Last edited by chrismeraz; 22nd March 2017 at 09:59 AM..
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Secondhand ATC SCM20SL's.
I also have some LS50's, I really like how they sound, but wouldn't expect much bass from them.

Lot's will recommend the Amphions, but I haven't heard them yet.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

The LS50's need lots of break in time, 2 to 300 hours to smooth out and work best in a smaller room, probably should add a good tight subwoofer if you want bass but it's generally a bright speaker. I prefer self amplified speakers over most passive speakers. Speakers such as Neumann KH120, Genelecs, Dynaudio, etc, they seem to be more accurate and have better detail and usually have decent bass to about 50hz.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Guru

I love my Truth Audio TA-1Ps
Looks like the new model is called the Dark Star
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear
I'll recommend the Amphion One15. Have heard the LS50 on a few rigs: PS Audio, NAD, Bryston, PrimaLuna. Get the One15.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Amphion One15
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search