The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp match for Manley Reference. Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear
Preamp match for Manley Reference.

Hi, I'm doing a pop vocal session this week and I'll be using the studios Manley refrence. I'm trying to figure out what preamp is going to play nicely with it.

It's pretty much narrowed down to

Avalon M5 or API 512c

My gut chain would be:
Manley>Avalon>Rev A 1176 (or maybe distressor)

What do you peeps think? Going for a big in your face male pop vocal.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

either of those will sound good with the Manley.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Try a Chandler TG2 if you can. That's next on my list for the Ref C.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
Hi, I'm doing a pop vocal session this week and I'll be using the studios Manley refrence. I'm trying to figure out what preamp is going to play nicely with it.

It's pretty much narrowed down to

Avalon M5 or API 512c

My gut chain would be:
Manley>Avalon>Rev A 1176 (or maybe distressor)

What do you peeps think? Going for a big in your face male pop vocal.
Depending on the voice that chain has the potential to sound like "nails". Without hearing the voice I would give a +1 to the chandler TG2 mentioned above and opto setting on distressor.

Many prefer the neve clones as pre's for the brighter/modern mics.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear
Unfortunately the studio doesn't have the Chandler. They have a handful of other stuff but mostly APIs as workhorses.

Why would the chain sound nails? Too bright?
Old 22nd March 2017
Does the studio have a Neve or Neve clone? That's what I would pair with the Manley for Pop Vox
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear
Looks like the closest they have is an Amek 9098. I think I might give that one a try...
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
Unfortunately the studio doesn't have the Chandler. They have a handful of other stuff but mostly APIs as workhorses.

Why would the chain sound nails? Too bright?
I haven't tried my Ref Cs with my API 3124 preamp, but I would be afraid that the result would be so high-mid-forward that it would be difficult to mix.

I have not had much problem with sibilance with the Ref C, but I guess I worry the API might bring it out.

I'm speculating - I should try it (and I should really keep my mouth shut until I do - my intuitions are frequently off)

I normally have used an AMS Neve 1073DPA or a Great River MP2-NV. I remember really liking the ADL600. My Ref Cs are the newest circuit with the 12AT7 and I have the stock tubes because they're factory matched. Fantastic mics.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

I've always used mine with an Avedis MA5. Lower male rap vocals and engaging the 28k button is pretty spectacular. However, I really want to try the TG2 next time I have it up.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

When I had that mix I paired it with a TelefunkenV672 with good results. It's a bright mix, so recording with something with body or a little dark would be beneficial.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear
I went API/1176 and the results were great. I think I will try my M5 next time and see the difference.

Super smooth mic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search