The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Running a Mix Through a 1073 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th March 2017
Here for the gear

Running a Mix Through a 1073

So I've got a new BAE 1073 DMP and I thought as a fun experiment I'd try to run one of my mixes through it just to see how it sounds. I've read about others doing this with great results.

Since I only have one, I had to do the left and right tracks independently. Not a huge deal since I have a very stable setup. I am coming out through my Apogee DA-16X, into the DI on the front, and back in through an AD-16X. I turned up the gain just to distorting to give it some of that analog "saturation," and then down a click, then set the output trim just below clipping on the converter input.

The results? Disappointing at best. I guess I was hoping for some of that magical Neve mojo that everyone talks about. Instead, the differences are barely discernible. If anything, a tad of extreme top end is chopped off to make it sound less digital.

Anyway, have a listen for yourself and maybe you can tell me what I am missing. This is a live recording made on an Alesis Adat HD24. I have downloads enabled. The first mix is without the pass through the 1073 and the second mix is without:

Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

To me it sounds better with 1073, I would just compensate a little bit that top end freq with eq. Have you tried to push preamps more?
Old 20th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szmola View Post
To me it sounds better with 1073, I would just compensate a little bit that top end freq with eq. Have you tried to push preamps more?
Yeah as I mentioned they are just below audible distortion. The only other option I could think of would be to increase the level on the outputs of the converters, but then I would have to bring the preamp gain down.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

The bass guitar sounds more defined in the 1073 version, to me through NS10s. I am hearing some low mid mud build up in both the guitars and vocals in both versions.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyleff View Post
Yeah as I mentioned they are just below audible distortion. The only other option I could think of would be to increase the level on the outputs of the converters, but then I would have to bring the preamp gain down.
I'm doing the same thing with Neumann preamp and I'm getting like 3-4 dB of volume before distortion. It's not much different than what your 1073 is doing but I feel that you could push it more if you want to hear preamp more. Compensate the mix in order to push preamp louder without distortion. See where and why is that distortion happening and equalise before hitting preamp, if that makes sense.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search