The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL XL Desk vs Quad Eight Console (Tracking + Hybrid Mixing) Single-Channel Preamps
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

SSL XL Desk vs Quad Eight Console (Tracking + Hybrid Mixing)

I'm looking to do tracking and Hybrid mixing at the studio with an analog console. Starting in the box, automating, creating stems and moving out to a small console for final mixing.

I was thinking about going for an SSL Desk Desk. On an interview I heard Jaquire King (Kings of Leon) using a Quad Eight Console for this same purpose. I never heard about it.

I would like to hear more about the Quad Eight Console, if you have any point of view for tracking and mixing and how it compares to the SSL XL Desk, etc.

Thanks a lot!
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Head

I would look at the SSL Matrix2, ticks all your boxes plus more.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

I used to own a Q8 Pacifica console and an Electrodyne ACC1204. While a great board it isn't as nice as the earlier version Q8's. Still a great console.

I wrote this article about the history around 12 years ago...

The History of Electrodyne Quad-Eight and Sphere
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear
Interesting... I own X desk and often track through and then send final mix to electrodyne 501 pres and 511 Eq through line pads. I wonder how close that gets to q8 console.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Interesting... I own X desk and often track through and then send final mix to electrodyne 501 pres and 511 Eq through line pads. I wonder how close that gets to q8 console.
Totally different as those two consoles (Q8 & Edyne) design and build were different. Even the earlier Q8's are different than the later Pacifica, Coronado and Ventura models.

I would think your combo would sound a little better than the later Q8 consoles.

I have two beta channels of the 511 (serial number 1 &2) and one beta of the 501 (serial number 1), sent to me for testing as I still had my Electrodyne ACC1204 console at the time. Ken and Peter nailed it!

Also did the beta testing for the Pacifica as I had one of those consoles at the time as well. They nailed the mids and low end and the top is a little more open and airy than the console. Peter said that was intentional.

Great set up you got. I bet that combo sounds wonderful.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm between the SSL XL Desk and the Matrix. Not sure which way to go. I like the XL that you don't see digital buttons or digital displays in the console.

Not sure what would be pros and cons.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search