The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help w console decision
Old 19th March 2017
Help w console decision

Hi, I have been thinking about a new console. Currently, I have a hybrid setup that includes the API box and a bunch of outboard gear. What do you suggest for recording and mixing. I have my eye on a 1608, but for the cost, what are other recommended alternatives? thanks, tlh
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

That's such a loaded question. It really depends on your budget, workflow and what you're willing to sacrifice. If high quality audio is priority #1 , I would consider an Aurora Audio sidecar, pure class A design, 10 channels of 1073ish style mic pres for about 2k per channel. Your priorities may be different.
Old 20th March 2017
console decisions

Yeah Vodoo, I have used the pro gear that you mentioned in the past, all but Mr. Tanner's sidecar. I really like to mix on a console and the Box is just too limited. I am really in love with the API punchy pre amps, but I know that there are way more experienced engineers in the GS community that have other opinions which I would value. Thanks for yours, tlh
Old 20th March 2017
It's not high end but I am thinking to get the Audient 4816 and put Carnhill transformers in every channel.

Am I crazy?

Last edited by everyday; 20th March 2017 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Nut

We make consoles in the 1608, 5088 range with Mic Pre, Compressor, EQ on every channel.
Old 21st March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday View Post
It's not high end but I am thinking to get the Audient 4816 and put Carnhill transformers in every channel.

Am I crazy?
Not at all, The Audient has a lot to offer as a mix desk. The inline fader for monitor ( not unlike a Neve desk) is a great feature. I have considered this as well, but I wonder how the pre amps compare to higher end board like the API. The four pre amps on the Box are absolutely stellar. The API pre's are loud, punchy and great for recording rock. I am not sure the Audient offers such a crunch. Maybe someone who records with the Audient desk could let us know. Thanks for your response, tlh

Last edited by TLH; 21st March 2017 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Guru

Dollar wise, I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but all of your post say "Buy a 1608"
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

One could always get an audient and a slew of top shelf preamps with a lot if change compared to a 1608, but have to agree with drum sound sounds like the API is what you're sonically listing after.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

I didn't know Daking had anything in that range but Geoff's post above says they do... so I say look into the daking! His stuff sounds terrific.
Old 21st March 2017
Engagement Manager

I also think it sounds like you want a 1608 (Great sounding desks)
Huge fan of Daking pre's and comps so would take a look at what they have to offer as your US based

As Wiggy said the Audient consoles are really good value for money and might leave you funds for other outboard
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Yes I love daking too!

The FET 2 is such a great comp as are the preamps eq
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Frankly you need to list a lot more info about your specific needs and budget to even narrow the field just a little. Basically then given the used console market being such a bargain you also have everything thing that has been made to this point as viable options. When you can get a prior $80k desk for $10k used now vs. a new $10k desk, what do you think is going to be the better desk.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search