The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon 747 used as a preamp Single-Channel Preamps
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Avalon 747 used as a preamp

Hello fellow slutz!

I'm contemplating getting an Avalon 747 as a nice analog front end/ mix element-warmer/ mastering-finalizing thing.

But I'm wondering if anyone has used the 747 as a stereo preamp for tube mics, dynamics or even condensers with external phantom power and if yes, how does it sound in that use?
Would you say it sounds like an Avalon M5, or 737 or something else completely?
Would you say it's usuable as a stereo pre or is not worth it at all?

I realize this is not what this unit is designed to do, but I'm sure it can be pushed in service as a mic preamp as well.

Any comments welcome!

Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

It probably couldn't hurt to try!
I think it has around 34 dB of gain, combined using all the different settings. But that would be using it at extreme levels.
I've never really tried using it as a pre-amp, but I know that it is excellent for adding some clean gain. Whether it's enough for microphones is the question.
Old 14th March 2017
It's a line level device. Whilst it's not unheard of to use line level devices (especially compressors) as mic preamps, it's not really why you'd buy it.

If you're buying it anyway, why don't you try it and report back?

If you're thinking of buying it with this purpose in mind - maybe demo before you try, or better still spend your money on a mic pre!

30dB gain is enough for loud sources, but not for many purposes. Of course, nothing to stop you paring it with a clean pre first.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

The Avalon sounds like zzzzzzz..... iughfiuhwe,jtuduygktd,ulbilvj;oj I'm sorry. It sounds so boring that I fell asleep at my keyboard.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear
I had a 737, and would not expect the 747 to sound much different. Graphic EQ vs parametric I think is the only difference.

The 737 was my go to preamp for Horns of any kind, screaming volcals, and sometimes snare. All because it would tame the track making it need less compression in the mix. No color help at all except a slight sheen on the highs. The lows don't sound that good. The compressor and EQ were just ok, not great.

At the time I had 737 and a Grace 801. Both gave no color help really making me work the mic placement for color.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search