The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ Unit for tracking and occasional 2 buss work Equalisers (HW)
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Maniac
EQ Unit for tracking and occasional 2 buss work

Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here.

Looking for suggestions on an eq unit that would mostly be used for tracking (mostly vocal duties, but any source that needs it) but one that could also be used on the 2 buss in the event that some minor tweaking is needed across the mix.

Thanks in advance.

PS I thought for sure this thread would exist but the 2 others i found had budget constraints or were really old.

Last edited by fender4593; 13th March 2017 at 02:32 AM..
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

You really can't go wrong with the GreatRiver eq2nv.

Use it on individual tracks and stereo masters all the time
Old 12th March 2017
I've just purchased an Kush Electra rack version. I use it for tracking and 2 buss duties.

Great eq.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
You really can't go wrong with the GreatRiver eq2nv.

Use it on individual tracks and stereo masters all the time
The Great River eq hands down. Can't go wrong, can't do better, just different.
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
The Great River eq hands down. Can't go wrong, can't do better, just different.
Sounds good. This may be my unit
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender4593 View Post
Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here.

Looking for suggestions on an eq unit that would mostly be used for tracking (mostly vocal duties, but any source that needs it) but one that could also be used on the 2 buss in the event that some minor tweaking is needed across the mix.

Thanks in advance.

PS I thought for sure this thread would exist but the 2 others i found had budget constraints or were really old.
It mostly depends on whether you're primarily looking for surgical control and the ability to make radical moves, or for more subtle tweaks and overall musicality.

For the latter, I lean towards designs that owe something to the Pultec heritage, for the tight punchy lows and glossy shimmering top they can be coaxed to deliver. For example the Retro 2A3 and various others in that vein. Musicality in spades but not as full featured as something like the eq2NV that others have mentioned.

If you're looking for something that has some of the attributes of both approaches you might like to search out and audition the Tonelux Equalux. I'm not certain if they're still making them, but they are an interesting take on combining musicality and sweetening with some greater control and some opportunities for a more aggressive approach.
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
It mostly depends on whether you're primarily looking for surgical control and the ability to make radical moves, or for more subtle tweaks and overall musicality.

For the latter, I lean towards designs that owe something to the Pultec heritage, for the tight punchy lows and glossy shimmering top they can be coaxed to deliver. For example the Retro 2A3 and various others in that vein. Musicality in spades but not as full featured as something like the eq2NV that others have mentioned.

If you're looking for something that has some of the attributes of both approaches you might like to search out and audition the Tonelux Equalux. I'm not certain if they're still making them, but they are an interesting take on combining musicality and sweetening with some greater control and some opportunities for a more aggressive approach.
This is exactly my debate. The eq2NV is very appealing for the control and what sounds like a more subtle vibe. but I'm really thinking about getting 2 Warm EQP-WA and seeing how they fair. Relatively cheap and if they don't play well on the 2 buss I could always find a place for them elsewhere and get the eq2NV later.

Anyway, good info and I'll just have to try them out but at least I've got some direction.

Thanks again
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear
GML 8200. Not cheap, but it will maintain the clarity of lows and can be used to adjust the overall sound and do surgery.

Neve or AMD Inductor EQ's are another decent option, but not surgical.

API EQ's are another decent option.
A designs is good if your ok w/ 3 bands.
Avalon 2055 is also worth a look.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 13th March 2017 at 11:09 AM..
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

I used the Avedis E27 that way..
For the 2 buss I suggest using the 20/24/28k bands and the 63/82 for the lows..
While tracking I tend to avoid eq, but if you need to tame some harshness or boxiness this eq will for sure be able to handle that.
The sound is stellar and gou could eventually test the psp plugin for having a very basic idea of what the potential could be.

Api 5500 is also ballsy, but I think that sounds a little bit less "refined" on 2buss..
Also the Electrdyne 511 sounds very sweet, but very limited in bands..
But after all at this level it's a matter of taste.

A sontec or pultec (or pulse techniques) would be my choice for 2bus otherwise.

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Addict

+1 on electra it just works well on everything.

It's very transparent and never makes a source sound EQd, even when used aggressively. Always seems to bring out the harmonics and retains punch and transients well.

I use it exclusively when tracking, then slap on mixbus when mixing. There's better choices for mixbus that would be easier for recalls.. that said it is easy to dial in great sounds .. it seems very forgiving

I think all the above choices are winners from what I've read.
Old 13th March 2017
Aurora Audio GTQ2! Two channel pre with HPF and 3 band eq... They also have a gt4-2 which is a full blown 2 ch eq!

Pro Audio Recording Equipment | Aurora Audio
Old 13th March 2017
+2 on the Great River. Pultec types can be a cool addition to the rack, but for all around multi purpose control the GR will be more useful all around IME. The mid control is very important especially in tracking.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Pultec are a one trick pony and not the best to have as your only eq.
The GR is based on the Neve 1081 but with class A amplifiers instead of A/B so Tony ears sounds sweeter (I have both) it will give you 4 proper parametric bands with 3 slope settings.

I love my Pultecs- they live on the stereo bus, but so does a Maselec MEA-2 and the Great River.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear
I use Jlm 500 eqs for Pultec thing and bettermaker 500 parametric for surgical. Find that on 2 bus and tracking, often only need Jlms. Electrodyne 511 also great. Personally I feel that a Pultec style eq or inductor based is a good idea for what u want also. The reason is that while tracking, u want something super gentle and forgiving. U also want something on 2 bus that plugins don't currently give u. My vote would be Electrodyne 511 simply because they sound the least like plugin eq of everything I have. Not that plugin eq is bad but the last thing u want is some parametric hardware eq that sounds very similar to plugins u already have. Jlm and Electrodne also have more bands than typical Pultec so more flexible. They also have character and mojo. In my world, hardware eq should give more than simply flexible bands, it should impart a sonic distinct sonic character. I have also never used GR which is prob great. I do have a Chandler little devil which is also wonderful but super aggressive so could be a bit much at times for your uses as tracking and 2 bus.

Last edited by Moondog007; 13th March 2017 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Ps
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Recently demoed the Chandler Curve Bender. That's my next purchase. Incredible for tracking and loved it for 2 bus. Pricey but damn it sounds great.
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
I use Jlm 500 eqs for Pultec thing and bettermaker 500 parametric for surgical. Find that on 2 bus and tracking, often only need Jlms. Electrodyne 511 also great. Personally I feel that a Pultec style eq or inductor based is a good idea for what u want also. The reason is that while tracking, u want something super gentle and forgiving. U also want something on 2 bus that plugins don't currently give u. My vote would be Electrodyne 511 simply because they sound the least like plugin eq of everything I have. Not that plugin eq is bad but the last thing u want is some parametric hardware eq that sounds very similar to plugins u already have. Jlm and Electrodne also have more bands than typical Pultec so more flexible. They also have character and mojo. In my world, hardware eq should give more than simply flexible bands, it should impart a sonic distinct sonic character. I have also never used GR which is prob great. I do have a Chandler little devil which is also wonderful but super aggressive so could be a bit much at times for your uses as tracking and 2 bus.
This is a great point. I have always spent the extra cash on hardware for at least some degree of mojo factor plugins just can not give me and have never been disappointed (yet). Obviously with color you limit yourself to some degree but I think for me I'll take that trade off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search