The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacing Monitors ... Need Insight: ADAM S3X-H or HEDD Type 30 Monitors? .. Studio Monitors
Old 11th March 2017
Here for the gear

Replacing Monitors ... Need Insight: ADAM S3X-H or HEDD Type 30 Monitors? ..

We are replacing our ADAM P33 Studio Monitors (bad amp). I am trying to determine which of these two sets of studio monitors would best suit our recording / mixing situation or which would be the preferred set of monitors out of these two pairs given the recording environment.

1. ADAM S3X-H (...or)

2. HEDD Type 30

Our General Recording Situation:

We use a Neotek Elite II (m2) Analog Console in a fairly large / deep control room (with high ceilings). We use CLASP integrating 2'' Tape and at times we simply record straight to hard disc (depending).

We record & mix plenty of Rock, Folk, Americana .. and some Metal.

Need Thoughts / Opinions?

Thanks All ..
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Head

Hm. Why not new model S3H? It seems better.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Billen View Post
We are replacing our ADAM P33 Studio Monitors (bad amp). I am trying to determine which of these two sets of studio monitors would best suit our recording / mixing situation or which would be the preferred set of monitors out of these two pairs given the recording environment.

1. ADAM S3X-H (...or)

2. HEDD Type 30

Our General Recording Situation:

We use a Neotek Elite II (m2) Analog Console in a fairly large / deep control room (with high ceilings). We use CLASP integrating 2'' Tape and at times we simply record straight to hard disc (depending).

We record & mix plenty of Rock, Folk, Americana .. and some Metal.

Need Thoughts / Opinions?

Thanks All ..
Are these two your only options? Would you consider other brands?
In any case I strongly suggest to test the models in your place, and THEN decide with your ears in YOUR room.
The interaction with the room is the main factor.

It's the only way imho.. although if given the choice I'd probably go with something else. Budget? Size of your room?

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 12th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NisT View Post
Hm. Why not new model S3H? It seems better.

ADAMS were nothing short of <great> .. BUT ... the amp went in them... they were very well taken care of and purchased new (I 'think').

So .. this time the thought is there to look in to something different now.. Again .. key phrase here is 'the thought' (<simply looking into possibilities is all) .. Studio owner is simply investigating other options right now is all.

Ok .. Now that you get our drift .. Any thoughts on the S3X-H vs. the HEDD 30's now?
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Head

You need to listen the Hedd, they have a slightly different sound. From this and proceed. If you cant listen and compare, then I would choose S3X-H, it's a reliable and time-tested option.

I myself just ordered S3V, hoping for luck. There is nowhere to listen to them. And there are doubts about the DSP. Always used external DAC. So until now I think it might be worth taking S3X-H, it's always the right choice =)
Old 12th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Are these two your only options? Would you consider other brands?
In any case I strongly suggest to test the models in your place, and THEN decide with your ears in YOUR room.
The interaction with the room is the main factor.

It's the only way imho.. although if given the choice I'd probably go with something else. Budget? Size of your room?

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Greetings and thank you for the response. Well .. We are basically maxed out at the price (<for 'brand new' models) of either these .. Room is large / deep for a control room with high ceilings. I'd say the control room is 450 - 500 square feet.

We don't have lots of time to test so we want to narrow it down now. We have plenty of booked sessions coming .. We want thoughts on these two pairs of monitors given their features /specs or any experience with them.

Thanks again for any insight you can offer on these two pairs of monitors ..
Old 12th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
You need to listen the Hedd, they have a slightly different sound. From this and proceed. If you cant listen and compare, then I would choose S3X-H, it's a reliable and time-tested option.

I myself just ordered S3V, hoping for luck. There is nowhere to listen to them. And there are doubts about the DSP. Always used external DAC. So until now I think it might be worth taking S3X-H, it's always the right choice =)

Thank you for your pick and advice. Much appreciated .. However I have a question ... when you say the HEDD's have a 'different' sound .. what does that mean? We want a very transparent, uncolored, yet detailed sound (as studio monitors should produce).
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Head

The russian website compares Type 07 to S2x, both have almost the same freq response, but reviewer declare different sonic propierties.
"HEDD Audio uses similar, but slightly different, mid-range speakers, so the character of the sound is slightly different. In our opinion, it moved closer to Focal, Neumann (K & H), and other well-known manufacturers."
Old 12th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
The russian website compares Type 07 to S2x, both have almost the same freq response, but reviewer declare different sonic propierties.
"HEDD Audio uses similar, but slightly different, mid-range speakers, so the character of the sound is slightly different. In our opinion, it moved closer to Focal, Neumann (K & H), and other well-known manufacturers."

Thank you for the info. All I know specifically of the of the mid-range is the mid-range speaker cones are 'stiffer' than in the past .. which they (HEDD) claim give it more clarity. Klaus Heinz .. the companies owner / designer mentions this when talking about their mid-range clarity.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Billen View Post

Greetings and thank you for the response. Well .. We are basically maxed out at the price (<for 'brand new' models) of either these .. Room is large / deep for a control room with high ceilings. I'd say the control room is 450 - 500 square feet.

We don't have lots of time to test so we want to narrow it down now. We have plenty of booked sessions coming .. We want thoughts on these two pairs of monitors given their features /specs or any experience with them.

Thanks again for any insight you can offer on these two pairs of monitors ..
Buying used? If this is an option you could get a better speaker for about the same price.. A better speaker yelds to faster, easier mixing decisions and translation ime.

I'd check the GS classifieds for some ATC scm models (since a large control room, you might want to check the 110, slightly above your budget, but in a completely different league imho.. of course this is reflected also by their "new" price as well).
I believe also a neumann KH420 could be a good candidate/valid alternative around your budget if you want to buy new.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 13th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Buying used? If this is an option you could get a better speaker for about the same price.. A better speaker yelds to faster, easier mixing decisions and translation ime.

I'd check the GS classifieds for some ATC scm models (since a large control room, you might want to check the 110, slightly above your budget, but in a completely different league imho.. of course this is reflected also by their "new" price as well).
I believe also a neumann KH420 could be a good candidate/valid alternative around your budget if you want to buy new.

I hope this helps,

Cheu

I researched the Neumanns. This was an alternative / option in our scope and in price range. We examined it and it was indeed a contender. Thanks much for the reminder tho..

Ultimately we have decided on the HEDD 30's. Reasons are that they are fairly future proof .. with the HEDD bridge that is incorporated to take a variety of cards for present .. or future audio protocols.

As well... although there are not many reviews being as the Type 30 is so new but those that have heard them say they are very .. very... good... even above this price range to a degree some have pretty confidently stated. It is a very 'versatile' monitor .. and that also drew us to it.

I loved our current Adams .... but this is such an upgrade the owner says we can't lose. I agree.

**I will be certain to get back to ya-all right here at this thread and report their performance and lend some insight as to their sound etc. .. I will post an initial report here and then one after their break-in period (which should most likely be anywhere from a few weeks to a month).

Thanks so much for all the insight.
Old 13th March 2017
I've used the S3X-H. That's a great monitor. I'm not a fan of Adam speakers in general. But that one is exceptional. It has enough power, sense of impact and clarity throughout the frequency spectrum to get work done fast. I liked it.

I happen to own the Barefoot MM35s and those are fantastic monitors also. Maybe just a touch more presentation of the micro-dynamics compared to the S3X-H. But it's pretty much a wash if you like the Adam sound. Either would do just fine.
Old 13th March 2017
That is a real tricky choice, because those S3X-H's are really amazing speakers to work with, but I don't think they could eclipse the Type-30, IMHO. Those are just not playing fair if you ask me. Considering the price differences, I am going to tell you that you do get what you pay for here. Maybe more.

peace
a.j.b
Old 3rd May 2017
Here for the gear

He Doc Mixwell

my english is not so good, i do not understand what you mean by "not playing fair" ? Do you think the HEDD's are better? At the moment the ADAM S3H (the new ones) are cheaper than HEDD 30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
That is a real tricky choice, because those S3X-H's are really amazing speakers to work with, but I don't think they could eclipse the Type-30, IMHO. Those are just not playing fair if you ask me. Considering the price differences, I am going to tell you that you do get what you pay for here. Maybe more.
Old 3rd May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday View Post
He Doc Mixwell

my english is not so good, i do not understand what you mean by "not playing fair" ? Do you think the HEDD's are better? At the moment the ADAM S3H (the new ones) are cheaper than HEDD 30!
I mean, you get a lot for your money here. They are really amazing speakers so far. more transparent than S3XH
Old 3rd May 2017
Here for the gear

He Doc Mixwell thanks for your fast response.

I try to get listen live to ADAM S3H / Neumann KH310 / HEDD 30 in comparison.

But one little question, i felt that the S3X-H sometimes was a littel colored in the Hi's compared to the Neuman KH 310. Do you think the HEDD 30 are the same as the ADAM in the Hi's or did they changed that?

Quote:
I mean, you get a lot for your money here. They are really amazing speakers so far. more transparent than S3XH
Old 3rd May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday View Post
He Doc Mixwell thanks for your fast response.

I try to get listen live to ADAM S3H / Neumann KH310 / HEDD 30 in comparison.

But one little question, i felt that the S3X-H sometimes was a littel colored in the Hi's compared to the Neuman KH 310. Do you think the HEDD 30 are the same as the ADAM in the Hi's or did they changed that?
its an entirely different design than ADAM S3XH,
honestly I prefer the HEDD to the ADAM,
much more honest sounding, no gloss factor here
Old 3rd May 2017
HEDD Type-30 is a great monitor, I would not hesitate to buy them. I've never been fond of the ADAM sound (highs), so I was very pleasantly surpised by the HEDD's!
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

peace
a.j.b
Adam do you have any compatritive notes off head against trio6be
Old 22nd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Adam do you have any compatritive notes off head against trio6be
The Former is dry as an old person's funny bone, whilst the latter, shiny like the twinkle in her eyes, if she is in love - that is. As to the next choice, shown ahead, albeit, twice as pretty, though, the shade may beware. Sunlight, Moonlight, or anywhere for that matter.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Former is dry as an old person's funny bone, whilst the latter, shiny like the twinkle in her eyes, if she is in love - that is. As to the next choice, shown ahead, albeit, twice as pretty, though, the shade may beware. Sunlight, Moonlight, or anywhere for that matter.
Lol still salty heh. I’ll try and find another dry 60 year old to decipher that. Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Lol still salty heh. I’ll try and find another dry 60 year old to decipher that. Thanks
I shan't protest thine words, yet..staring vividly into the love spectrum of gold encapsulated spectacles

Sine, or not to Sine.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search