The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which one would be the best for vocals? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

this is like talking about cake. honestly, as soon as you reach a certain level of quality, preamps are a matter of taste. and these things vary hugely in tone.
at my studio i have neves (silizium and germanium), gmls, v72s and some other german broadcast preamps (eab).
out of those i could never recommend one without knowing what kind of sound you fancy. they are all great. its a matter of taste only. you need to mention what kind of sound you are after.
if its early franklin id vote for a tube preamp, if you enjoy 70s sound it would be something discrete silicium. if you like modern high sheen sound its a gml. ther is no preamp that does it all - if there was it would be a gml to me - with lots of coloured outboard.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac
The Pacifica and Great River NV are two very versatile pres with super DI, depending on everything else in the chain either could be a great first pre. For harp, I'd try the Pacifica first, for the high freq extension- a little more delicate. They are both somewhat heavy in character, but the NV more, esp in lower mids. For synth, either could be best, though I'd try the NV first, for pure beef. For vocal, I'd lean to the Pacifica, though a 1073 style is so popular for male vocals.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_book View Post
I'm looking to buy my first real heavy duty preamp. I can't spend $10,000 but I have a pretty good budget saved up for picking up something that I think should be good. I've done some research but I thought I would post a question here hoping people who actually own the units could bring some insight. I currently have an apollo twin duo hooked up to my mac mini. I have a lot of really good preamp effects on it that I use but I'd like to have a "real" preamp that I can feed into the apollo twin (and later an apollo rack when I can afford to expand my apollo rig)

I mostly want to use it to record vocals (female and male) for electronic and rock styled music (maybe rap down the line). But I would like to run my Moog Sub 37 through it sometimes, and maybe my other hardware synths. Also I play classical harp and would like a preamp that is at least 2 channel so that I can record my harp with 2 mic's. After my research the main preamps that seem to come up the most are; The AVALON VT-737SP, the GREAT RIVER ELECTRONICS MP-2NV, the SOLID STATE LOGIC ALPHA VHD, API 3124+ and the Vintech model 273 (which I've heard especially good things about)

Would anyone have any suggestions of which preamp would be a good choice in this situation?
Of all listed I'd say the Great River. The Avalon stuff is too pretty to me and unrealistic/modern. Same with the newer API stuff. There's a top end presence that I hate on the newer API preamps, owning a 1977 API console, they sound awful to me. The Vintech stuff is alright. I'd say they touch on the Neve thing but a bit different, there's a different high end response on the Vintech stuff, not good or bad just different. It does the low end wooly thing pretty well but not good as Aurora or other companies people are hip to on the forum.

The SSL is going to be really neutral, not something I look for in a preamp. Although classical harp may call for that, but you're left with a very bland choice for everything else.

The Great River stuff is GREAT. So is the Aurora stuff as mentioned. Stay away from modern API stuff in the preamp world. If you really want the preamp sound of API, go for Classic API, they're based on the vintage API console and sound glorious.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear
I don't believe anyone has yet mentioned the Chandler TG2 which is also available in 500 series. Since OP wants to use it for vocals and synths, it would appear to be an interesting option? I don't have one myself and haven't used one, but I am very interested in picking one up, since I also use synths (actually also a Moog Sub37 among others) and would be interested in running things through it....
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I don't believe anyone has yet mentioned the Chandler TG2 which is also available in 500 series. Since OP wants to use it for vocals and synths, it would appear to be an interesting option? I don't have one myself and haven't used one, but I am very interested in picking one up, since I also use synths (actually also a Moog Sub37 among others) and would be interested in running things through it....
I love the TG2 for a bunch of things: guitars, overheads etc, it never quite worked for me on vocals. YMMV of course.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I love the TG2 for a bunch of things: guitars, overheads etc, it never quite worked for me on vocals. YMMV of course.
Ahh, good to know. Thanks!
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
FWIW... here are some artists who use the TG2 for their vocals - Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, and Katy Perry.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Addict

I no longer own a Great River, but that is the one I'd get if I were going to have an all rounder. I used to always use it for vocals. I have several other mic pres now to cover several different flavors, but the Great River was one of my first high-end pres. I think it is also one piece of gear that seems to get consistently praised. It was ten years ago too when I started buying higher end gear. The flavor of the month is a real phenomenon here, but Great River remains a solid offering that has been praised for many years on here. You can find threads back from 2005 about it and how solid it is.
Old 1st April 2017
AB3
Lives for gear

And then there is the a designs mp2a - an incredibe pre with two direct inputs!
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Tree Audio Branch. They recently released the mkii version and the prices of the original have dropped. I've been able to pick up 2 for under 3k. Can't say enough great things about them. Awesome pre high lo shelf eq and a great sounding limiter. It's been great on everything I've tried. Seriously great piece that I can't recommend enough even over a bunch of the other recommendations in this thread.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinswp View Post
I no longer own a Great River, but that is the one I'd get if I were going to have an all rounder. I used to always use it for vocals. I have several other mic pres now to cover several different flavors, but the Great River was one of my first high-end pres. I think it is also one piece of gear that seems to get consistently praised. It was ten years ago too when I started buying higher end gear. The flavor of the month is a real phenomenon here, but Great River remains a solid offering that has been praised for many years on here. You can find threads back from 2005 about it and how solid it is.
The Great River MP-2NV was one of the first nice pieces of kit that I got and I've had it for a long time now - love it. Very recently I also picked up the EQ - the EQ-2NV - and put it in the rack next to the preamp, and connected them with two short TRS cables. I can already tell that I should have done that years ago - I've been using the pair of them for bus processing so far. I can't wait to track vocals through them.

All that said, the next preamp I get is definitely going to be from HendyAmps
Old 21st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_book View Post
Are there any preamps here that people enjoy especially on synths? Especially digital ones? I have a Korg MS2000, I really love it's style and sound (and when it gets digitally harsh). It would be nice to put it through a preamp, I heard really good things about the A Designs Pacifica when it comes to that. Does anyone here own or use this on any of their synths?
I can confirm that Pacifica is par excellence for synthesizers. Its DI is the reason. It makes synthesizers and drum machines sound ELECTRIC. It's also a top-shelf mic pre. I have a Prophet 8 that sounds great until you patch it through something else. Then it sounds kind of clinical. I would've sold it long ago if it weren't for the Pacifica. I have lots of different high class preamps, but for synths and drum machines, Pacifica. It's a fantastic bass and guitar DI, too. I would describe it as zingy, electric, euphonic, balanced through the frequencies, yet larger than life, but with a hi mid zing that's reminiscent of those pop rocks candies that go wild when you pop them in your mouth.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Just since no one is showing it love, that Great River you mention in your original post is the greatest preamp I ever owned.

Able to do super clean sounds and also able to add a natural compression when the input stage is driven. It has a button on it, called Iron or something that further thickens the sound.

I cannot imagine anyone who has ever used one saying they could not make beautiful music with that stereo kit.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

For what you're doing, I'd also look into a Summit TPA-200A.
Old 6th May 2017
Here for the gear

I have an Aurora audio GTQC and is literally the only pre i will use for vocals now! good luck on your search though!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search