The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor Controller for Lavry Blue
Old 14th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Monitor Controller for Lavry Blue

HI,

I am thinking about buying the Lavry Blue converters but i will need a monitor controller to operate them. I do not have the budget though to buy a 2000 dollar monitor controller. Is there a monitor controller which does not color the sound for a decent price? I only need a stereo output. Is any one using the SPL Volume 2 or something alike. What are you guys using with your Lavry Blue converters? Thanks!

Marrone
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using Central Station with Lavry Blue AD/DA. I sent some loops through the DA-AD and recorded the output. Then patched in DA-CS-AD and recorded that output. Compared the tracks blind, no audible differences.

Steve
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

I have used Central station with my Lavry Blue's but it was to bright compared to SPL 2381. SPL is the was to go IMHO.
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone View Post
HI,

I am thinking about buying the Lavry Blue converters but i will need a monitor controller to operate them. I do not have the budget though to buy a 2000 dollar monitor controller. Is there a monitor controller which does not color the sound for a decent price? I only need a stereo output. Is any one using the SPL Volume 2 or something alike. What are you guys using with your Lavry Blue converters? Thanks!

Marrone
What is your budget?
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

I use a Coleman Audio M3PHmkII with my Lavry Blues. Welcome to colemanaudio.com

Pricier than the Presonus box - but it's built like a tank, all XLR i/o, essentially transparent, straight forward easy to use layout.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 14th March 2007
I recommend the SPL MTC. I've been using it with my Lavry Blue D/A for a few years now. Crystal clear audio path IME.
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

I've posted that before about recording tracks with the controller in/out of the DA-AD loop.

Never heard of anyone else doing this simple thing, instead it's always an arm-waving contest of opinions about which is subjectively "clearer".

If the tracks null, and can't hear any difference in blind A-B switching, then that works for me.

It would be cool to have some basic tracks we could share around and have folks run through their various controllers, just to have some evidence of what happens (or doesn't happen) to the sound.

Steve
Old 15th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Good idea!!! I am sure a lot of people would like to see this happen. Especially because the one says that the central station/SPL MTC colors and the other swears it does not. Who wants to start this test???

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
I've posted that before about recording tracks with the controller in/out of the DA-AD loop.

Never heard of anyone else doing this simple thing, instead it's always an arm-waving contest of opinions about which is subjectively "clearer".

If the tracks null, and can't hear any difference in blind A-B switching, then that works for me.

It would be cool to have some basic tracks we could share around and have folks run through their various controllers, just to have some evidence of what happens (or doesn't happen) to the sound.

Steve
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone View Post
HI,

Marrone
for one set of speakers i suggest you look at:

A-Designs Audio: ATTY Passive Level Controller : Quality without Compromise.

cheap. good.
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
for one set of speakers i suggest you look at:

A-Designs Audio: ATTY Passive Level Controller : Quality without Compromise.

cheap. good.
nht has something similiar:

NHT - Now Hear This ®

has gotten good reviews, pretty much the same thing as the
a-design unit.

-carl
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
I use a Coleman Audio M3PHmkII with my Lavry Blues. Welcome to colemanaudio.com

Pricier than the Presonus box - but it's built like a tank, all XLR i/o, essentially transparent, straight forward easy to use layout.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
+1
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry for the quick hijack, but I can't help but comment. It seems that alot of people read things here at GS and take them as "gospel" and adopt them as part of their "recording knowledge base". What is all of this talk about a controller "colouring" sound? Beside "bad colouration"--Distortion-----what is so wrong with colouration. Way back in the "old days" when there was a "session scene" in Los Angeles, I had the priviledge of working in many studios (as a musician)where the music was being monitored through Neve consoles, API consoles, Trident consoles, etc. etc. etc., all of which "coloured" everything that "passed" through them. No one was concerned about "colouration" then. Why is it such "taboo" now? Doesn't everyone now "lust" for Neves, API's, Tridents etc.? What's wrong with a coloured Monitor Section? In the recording process it's all coloured the second a singer opens their mouths or an instrument is played infront of a mic or through an amp!.Who started this mis-guided thinking in the first place?
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

It might be because I (we) want to hear "gospel" truth out of our monitors... and though it is impossible, it is good to get as near as possible.

You're right that in some stages of the process it is not so important as a bad timing or out of tune singer, but as we get closer to the finished product it is nice to have as much control as it is possible.
Old 16th March 2007
I want my monitor section as clean as possible. Clean meaning low harmonic distortion, as little phase shift as possible, as little intermodulation distortion, low noise, and wide bandwidth, and extended (but flat) frequency response. Now, if you consider using the opposite of this, it's not going to give a very real representation of what your listening to. It might sound pleasing to the ear, but I want to hear warts and all when I mixing or mastering, so it doesn't sound 'better than it is' coming off the console, and then sounds half as good I put it in the high quality home stereo.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
No one was concerned about "colouration" then. Why is it such "taboo" now? Doesn't everyone now "lust" for Neves, API's, Tridents etc.? What's wrong with a coloured Monitor Section?
the idea is to eliminate as much guesswork as possible. for example i could never get a final mix out of NS10s first time around. had to go to the car, etc.

there are guys that can mix on NS10s and imagine the low end, while taking the monitor section and room into consideration, and the final product is a great mix - but i'm not one of them.

i've gone to grundman's, put some stuff up that an in demand LA engineer had mixed on a neve V, trident 80B etc. and after a minute or two chris bellman would say: 'mixed on NS10s?' and it had been. i've also gone there with NS10 mixes where chris found the low end perfect. these mixes had sometimes come from the same room and had been mixed by the same guy. so even a very experienced engineer had to guess on the low end. sometimes nailed it, sometimes he didn't.

so the theory is, the monitor controller/speaker combination should be as transparent as possible, so whatever is heard in the CR has a better chance of translating to the outside world. i buy that.
Old 16th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
Sorry for the quick hijack, but I can't help but comment. It seems that alot of people read things here at GS and take them as "gospel" and adopt them as part of their "recording knowledge base". What is all of this talk about a controller "colouring" sound? Beside "bad colouration"--Distortion-----what is so wrong with colouration. Way back in the "old days" when there was a "session scene" in Los Angeles, I had the priviledge of working in many studios (as a musician)where the music was being monitored through Neve consoles, API consoles, Trident consoles, etc. etc. etc., all of which "coloured" everything that "passed" through them. No one was concerned about "colouration" then. Why is it such "taboo" now? Doesn't everyone now "lust" for Neves, API's, Tridents etc.? What's wrong with a coloured Monitor Section? In the recording process it's all coloured the second a singer opens their mouths or an instrument is played infront of a mic or through an amp!.Who started this mis-guided thinking in the first place?
This heifer really just ruined a post I was interested in reading with an attempt at making a very uneducated, misguided, invalid point. After five people felt the need to actually explain themselves and an obvious audio fact The subject just died out and I'm left with the dilemma still as to how to best monitor transparently the 4496-15. I would like to use a monitor controller but would like to know why they must all have DAC's integrated as if we engineers Didn't already make our own choice of conversion
Old 16th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Coleman Audio M3PHmkII or Goldpoint SA2X
Old 16th January 2016
Here for the gear

If you can solder I can really recommend the MC624 from Sound Skulptor. You can even by it ready built.
High qualtiy components and really transparent. You can even controll most functions with a remote so you can change volume, chosse mute, in/outputs, etc...

Sound Skulptor - MC624 : DIY Monitor Controller, DIY Microphone Preamplifier, Class A Mic Pre, Vintage Transformer Preamp, Professional Audio Kits
Old 11th April 2016
Here for the gear

You could have helped it, emkay. Stay on topic. Basic audio knowledge is available online if youre clueless but when we speak on a subjects its because we find it important. Thanks.
Old 11th April 2016
See if you can find a used Kush audio GainTrain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search