The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 8048 #A827, anyone know where it is or who owns it? Plugin Bundles
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Neve 8048 #A827, anyone know where it is or who owns it?

Anyone know where this ca 1973 desk is today?
Would like to get in touch with the owner if possible.
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Guru

I know where it sadly isn't, my place.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API View Post
Anyone know where this ca 1973 desk is today?
Would like to get in touch with the owner if possible.
Hi

I don't know the A number, but it may be the one that Freddie Piro bought from the Jackson Brothers in Detroit and, with my assistance, had it installed and customised in his Burbank Studio Ocean Studios on San Fernando Boulevard.

http://oceanstudiosburbank.com/Ocean...udiomedia.html

That studio he sold to the current owners but I don't recall the name.
Should be easy to locate and call them to check...

Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input @ Geoff_T
Maybe i have mixed up the console designation, the desk was/is a 32 input (with 1064´s) sold originally to Yorkshire TV.
Does that maybe ring a bell?
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi

Wearing a Neve hat, Yorkshire TV does ring a bell, I don't have any info on it now though....

But post Neve, who knows? This was an era when "brokers" made deals with studio managers who had written off their consoles with depreciation and with (possibly) a sly back-hander the console could be sold for peanuts... I know of cases at around $2K.... and then the console is either sold at a considerable profit (most likely with a music console like an 8048) or gutted and the modules sold, still making a fat profit for the broker.

Of course, the supply has pretty much dried up now so used vintage Neve prices sky rocket as a result...

Quote:
Thanks for the input @ Geoff_T
Maybe i have mixed up the console designation, the desk was/is a 32 input (with 1064´s) sold originally to Yorkshire TV.
Does that maybe ring a bell?
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Wearing a Neve hat, Yorkshire TV does ring a bell, I don't have any info on it now though....

But post Neve, who knows? This was an era when "brokers" made deals with studio managers who had written off their consoles with depreciation and with (possibly) a sly back-hander the console could be sold for peanuts... I know of cases at around $2K.... and then the console is either sold at a considerable profit (most likely with a music console like an 8048) or gutted and the modules sold, still making a fat profit for the broker.

Of course, the supply has pretty much dried up now so used vintage Neve prices sky rocket as a result...

I can only agree with you, there is a big chance that the desk is split up since many years.

I believe the desk was at Santa Barbara Sound studios and possibly came from Cherokee in LA.
Its also possible that the frame (sans modules) was sold to Sonic Circus and then sold on again.

The reason i am asking is that i am trying to find the original console that my small 12 channel addition was originaly mated to.
Not sure if you remember that one Geoff, but its just a freestanding bucket of 12 channels (originaly 1064 + 1949) with full 1272 summing on board.

I bougth this desk from Dom at SBST and it bears the same A-number as the large desk it was originally made for and he was the one that supplied the info above, but he could not fully remember.
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi

I can ask the ol' timers at Neve who have good records on old consoles... I'll get back to you with what they say.

May take a little time!

Best regards

Geoff

PS Check that routing unit number... 8038's use 1948, 8048's use 1985, neither use 1949

Quote:
I can only agree with you, there is a big chance that the desk is split up since many years.

I believe the desk was at Santa Barbara Sound studios and possibly came from Cherokee in LA.
Its also possible that the frame (sans modules) was sold to Sonic Circus and then sold on again.

The reason i am asking is that i am trying to find the original console that my small 12 channel addition was originaly mated to.
Not sure if you remember that one Geoff, but its just a freestanding bucket of 12 channels (originaly 1064 + 1949) with full 1272 summing on board.

I bougth this desk from Dom at SBST and it bears the same A-number as the large desk it was originally made for and he was the one that supplied the info above, but he could not fully remember.

Last edited by Geoff_T; 8th March 2017 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search