The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Harshness Be Revealed! Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 1st March 2017
Harshness Be Revealed!

Got a new pair of casual listening earphones for use at work, and one of the (not so desirable) characteristics of them is a rather excited top end, which makes some music a little harsh in sibilance/hats/snares/etc., which is something none of my other reference sources really show to such an obvious extent.

Listening to my own mixes, some were a tad more strident than I would prefer them to be in comparison, though not too many as to make me question my own skill, but rather my monitoring.

This has led me to believe that my current Focal Solo6's may be slightly more forgiving of harshness than I'd like them to be. While more the exception than the rule, I wish my next pair of monitors to address this a little more obviously.

I'm about 1/2 way toward my savings goal for either the Barefoot MM45's, Amphion One 18/Two 18, or even something along the lines of say the ATC SCM 25A. So my question is, which of these would you say is most naturally inclined to present harshness on a silver platter for fixing? And by harshness I mean anywhere from 3khz on up.

(Sidenote, I doknow the Footprints are slowly rolling out, but I'll cross that bridge when there's more in-market users and reviews of them to go off of.)
Old 1st March 2017
Also this not limited to the above mentioned monitors. I'm confident I can get excellent MF/LF translation anywhere in this price category, but I'm most concerned with HF translation/characteristics/presentation.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

It might be better practice to ensure that you always check your mixes on a couple of other playback systems, such as the cheap headphones. No matter what monitors you use, you can often learn something by hearing a mix on a consumer playback system.
Old 1st March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
It might be better practice to ensure that you always check your mixes on a couple of other playback systems, such as the cheap headphones. No matter what monitors you use, you can often learn something by hearing a mix on a consumer playback system.
I actually do this a lot. I check a couple different headphones, apple earphones, computer speakers, laptop speakers. It was just this new pair which I think just aren't broken in (they are good everywhere else except the treble region, and were a bit expensive).

These mixes aren't harsh on any other system I typically reference, so I'm glad I have this new reference, but the harshness in comparison to other songs on this particular pair of earphones was somewhat outside of the standard deviation from some of the harshness my favorite mix references presented.

Many other industry release records were just as harsh if not more, so this is more bout my own personal translation preferences than anything. I am wondering if there is a particular monitor that might present treble in such a way that it creates a more natural inclination to mx slightly more treble soft.

I'll of course compensate with referencing in the meantime, but would like to maybe put this characteristic in the forefront toward deciding on a new pair.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

I have often found that, almost regardless of the speaker, a pair of headphones will sound much more "revealing" in the higher registers. Air is a "softening" agent, as are room reflections, and it seems to me, unless the speakers are very close to your ears, headphones will generally present more "detailed" sound especially in the highs. IMHO. Good luck.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

I think that once you get familiar with a monitoring system, you get accustomed to the sound and things no longer appear harsh. Both with my NS10s and the ATCs I use at the studio, I was taken aback at first at how fierce lots of modern mixes are at the top end, but my ears have sort of calibrated themselves now!
Old 2nd March 2017
I could just be being paranoid. I've never heard criticism that a mix was too sharp or harsh, and the more I'm listening to these earphones it's becoming increasingly apparent that my own mixes are actually somewhere in the middle with a lot of modern records being borderline unlistenable on them. Might've gotten a bad pair. The earphones are the consumer branded Focal Sphear in-ears.

Can't believe Focal would put out a product with such a big voicing flaw as this, they really are very hard sounding. I messaged Focal asking if this is the voicing, or if I might've gotten bad pair. Even my Apple Earpods sound loads better.

I'll probably stick with the MM45 as my main contender.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search