The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSI A17M or Focal SoloBe6 Studio Monitors
Old 27th February 2017
Here for the gear

PSI A17M or Focal SoloBe6

I have read almost all threads I could find on multiple sites regarding Focal SoloBE6 and PSI A17Ms. I keep reading how well the PSI's are and how they deal with phase and how accurate they are.

Yes, I will audition both before I buy later this year.

I do not mix anything or know how to.

I just want a great set of speakers for music listening when I'm not using my headphones. I have some KEF speakers and some Emotiva amps for now for near field listening (Previous Martin Logan Elecrostat Request speakers and Krell components - downsized years ago due to WAF). The goal here is get rid of my monoblock amplifiers and go with a powered option. The new room is roughly 10x12 so pretty small. I'm thinking a sub with either brand Focal or PSI will be unnecessary.

Bookshelves are fairly close to the wall so I looked for front ported and sealed speakers. They will be given an XLR input from my Benchmark DAC2 HGC. (I looked at all I could find on Dyna audio and decided I will pit the PSI and Focals for my uses)

Since I know less about PSI I feel as if I might be buying into something geared for pros like you and not just an audiophool like me who just want to listen to good music in near field application. My tastes include all genres outside of RAP and country. I listen to Jazz, Pat Metheny, Diana Krall, Bach 9th symphony, to contemporary music even Taylor Swift among others.

The price between the Focal Solo6be and PSI is not a major concern. They are in the same stratosphere. I cannot fit Focal Twins in my small setup nor the A21-M PSIs.

Any feedback on those who may use either or both sets at home for music listening? This will primarily be fore music listening.

Does anyone have pictures for a side by side comparison? I making fake boxes to imitate the sizes as I know the focals are slightly larger.

Thanks for anyone responding.

Last edited by Shenook; 27th February 2017 at 12:52 AM..
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear
I had went with a very similar decision. I ordered the Solos and then upgraded the order to Twins, but due to delays in shipping, contemplated moving it up to A17. That's when I heard of Amphions and people liking them over PSIs. I know you don't want passives, but perhaps you should look into it. The company sells their own amp and cables designed for the speakers. Complete system. I have the One15 and have experience with Kef LS50s, along with Emotiva DACs and amps...so we have something in common...I'll tell you straight up, the Amphion One15 with the Amphion amp and cable sounds far better than my Kef, Marantz, and Emotiva gear. It's very enjoyable, non-fatiguing, and remains linear at low volumes (useful for late night). BTW I listen to all the material you listen to...
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Just few days ago someone came here with his Focal Twins Be6. I heard some Focals before (incl. Solo Be6) and the sound characteristics seem to be quite similar with all the Focals - a bit hyped in highs and slightly 2D. PSI A17 are sounding a bit better, yet lacking a kind of organic, natural sound. Ok for "artificial" music, but when you play some acoustic/classical music, it sounds a bit "chemical".

When the man heard his Focals side by side to Quested, he was a bit shocked and put his Focals for sale immediately

Old 27th February 2017
Gear Addict

I have a pair of A-17M's here I like them, in retrospect my room is a little too large for them, I am selling them to buy the A-21? (3 way), I haven't heard the Focals here though.
I wouldn't describe them as 'chemical' or artificial, you really need to compare both in your room.
Keith
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio View Post
I have a pair of A-17M's here I like them, in retrospect my room is a little too large for them, I am selling them to buy the A-21? (3 way), I haven't heard the Focals here though.
I wouldn't describe them as 'chemical' or artificial, you really need to compare both in your room.
Keith
I had A-17 in my room for over a year
Old 27th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenook View Post
I have read almost all threads I could find on multiple sites regarding Focal SoloBE6 and PSI A17Ms. I keep reading how well the PSI's are and how they deal with phase and how accurate they are.

Thanks for anyone responding.
If you have the money to go for PSI's, then you should. Amphion are getting alot of praise in that same price bracket allthough I haven't heard them myself. I've owned the A17's for 6 years and they are a step up from the slightly lower priced Focals, Adams, Genelecs series etc.

So demo PSI and Amphion!
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenook View Post
I just want a great set of speakers for music listening.

The goal here is get rid of my monoblock amplifiers and go with a powered option.

I looked for front ported and sealed speakers.

They will be given an XLR input from my Benchmark DAC2 HGC.
My understanding of the OP's clearly stated criteria would mean that Amphions are out of the equation.

/ normal service will now be resumed...
Old 27th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
My understanding of the OP's clearly stated criteria would mean that Amphions are out of the equation.

/ normal service will now be resumed...
true I missed that sentence, in that case PSI A17's rule the roast in that price bracket
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
PSI A17 are sounding a bit better, yet lacking a kind of organic, natural sound. Ok for "artificial" music, but when you play some acoustic/classical music, it sounds a bit "chemical".
Chemical is the last word I'd use to describe PSI, especially with acoustic and classical music which sounds very natural on them, especially on the A21Ms. Certainly the A17M is still a significant jump up from the Focals, which can't compete imho.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search