The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akg c414-buls
Old 25th February 2017
Here for the gear

Akg c414-buls

Just wondering why my AKG C414-BULS which I purchased around 1998 has little bumps on it similar to the following photo I found online of it:

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/im...ivqc13gmhi.jpg

It's been stored indoors all these years.

I assume this is some sort of manufacturing flaw? If so, would be nice if they replaced the enclosure. Does it affect the mic's condensor plate/disc (or whatever it is) as well?

Last a checked a few years back, it sounded just fine.
Old 25th February 2017
My 414 ULS pair have no "bubbles". I used dozens of ULS and never seen this.

They may be stored for years but what humidity and heat conditions? Looks like paint was overheated for a long time and enclosure's paint just wrapped. But maybe I'm wrong.

You can contact AKG support. I really don't know if they have replacements of old mics but it's worth a try
Old 25th February 2017
Here for the gear

It was stored its lifetime indoors. Between 68 to 73F. Humidity is always comfortable in this household.

Maybe I"ll put it up on ebay startign at $1 then. Shame though I spent $900 for it back in 1998 and have stored it at good temps and humidity its entire life. Someone else has same problem. I googled "AKG C414 BULS BUMPS" and got that photo. Looks identical.
Old 25th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
It was stored its lifetime indoors. Between 68 to 73F. Humidity is always comfortable in this household.

Maybe I"ll put it up on ebay startign at $1 then. Shame though I spent $900 for it back in 1998 and have stored it at good temps and humidity its entire life. Someone else has same problem. I googled "AKG C414 BULS BUMPS" and got that photo. Looks identical.
i would sell it on Reverb, I really prefer it over eBay. I paid 1300 for my pair in mint condition. If it's just an aesthetical issue you can get from 500 to maybe 600 bit it depends on the market
Old 25th February 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks. I am just so perplexed as to why it did this with the bubbling/bumps. I've never had a piece of gear do this before. Nothing else in my house has done this. I have fine musical instruments such as violoins and guitars I play regularly here at home over the years, and they are in all great condition as well. Just this darn mic over the past few years has been developing these bubbles. I really do think I got one from a bad batch or something back in 1998.. maybe that photo of the other one I saw on the web with a similar problem, was from the same batch as mine. sigh.

Does the screen come off easily so I can examine the surface of the condensor (on both sides). I can't believe it'd be damaged at all. Also this mic is from a smoking environment... it was my dad's and he passed (I had sold it to him back in 2002.. he passed in 2009.. hasn't been used since). Between the smoke and bumps I probably wont' get much for it lol. It's aired out over the years, but the subtle cig smell is still there. Do cigs mess up the condensors?
Old 25th February 2017
I think AKG might even appreciate seeing the problem - look at it that way. It's a manufacturing fault and they may well replace it.

Cigarette smoke can coat capsules over time.

Before there was a smoking ban in the UK, I used to ask people on location not to smoke in the room where the recording was being made. They often used to come into the control room and smoke there, which was not the intention either! Lungs versus capsules. It didn't really happen often.
Old 26th February 2017
You can send mic to a tech where he/she would clean the capsule... Or send it to AKG to ask about bubbles
Old 26th February 2017
I have seen the same issue on an original C-414 with the Cannon bayonet mount. It didn't affect the audio performance.
It looked like the mic body was covered with a vinyl coating. I assumed AKG had extra inventory of an earlier body version and used the coating to cover up the previous markings.
Old 26th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
I have seen the same issue on an original C-414 with the Cannon bayonet mount. It didn't affect the audio performance.
It looked like the mic body was covered with a vinyl coating. I assumed AKG had extra inventory of an earlier body version and used the coating to cover up the previous markings.
My mic was smooth when I bought it. The bumps developed over a period of years.

I am going to write AKG. I am thinking they might accomodate me by letting me send in the mic for repair .. i.e. replacement of the housing or replacement altogether. It has to be a manufacturing defect. All my electronics, gear, musical instruments are in excellent condition here.. all except for that mic.
Old 26th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitmo View Post
i would sell it on Reverb, I really prefer it over eBay. I paid 1300 for my pair in mint condition. If it's just an aesthetical issue you can get from 500 to maybe 600 bit it depends on the market
Thanks for telling me about reverb, never heard of it before.

I have an old fender lap steel I need to sell. I was wondering what reverb's commission is? Along with paypal fees and reverb fees, about what percentage of the sale can I expect to receive? I'd be happy with 85% or so.
Old 26th February 2017
Quote:
Thanks for telling me about reverb, never heard of it before.

I have an old fender lap steel I need to sell. I was wondering what reverb's commission is? Along with paypal fees and reverb fees, about what percentage of the sale can I expect to receive? I'd be happy with 85% or so.
I'm sure you can find info about fees at Reverb's FAQ.

I always avoid eBay as much as possible, of course you find scam people everywhere but Reverb is an audio-oriented-only-gear-store so buyers and sellers use to know a little more about what to buy.
Old 27th February 2017
Quote:
You can send mic to a tech where he/she would clean the capsule... Or send it to AKG to ask about bubbles
AKG sold those mics sealed in a plastic bag with the wind sock mounted. The outside layer is a cloth that sheds fibers. Every B-ULS capsule is coated with those fine fibers.
Old 27th February 2017
Quote:
AKG sold those mics sealed in a plastic bag with the wind sock mounted. The outside layer is a cloth that sheds fibers. Every B-ULS capsule is coated with those fine fibers. I brought this up to AKG several times at trade shows but they didn't do anything to stop that.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My mic was smooth when I bought it. The bumps developed over a period of years.

I am going to write AKG. I am thinking they might accomodate me by letting me send in the mic for repair .. i.e. replacement of the housing or replacement altogether. It has to be a manufacturing defect. All my electronics, gear, musical instruments are in excellent condition here.. all except for that mic.
It will be a minor miracle if you even get a response from AKG, IME and IMHO.
If you want the mic serviced, look up Richard Land near Nashville. He does good work and is reasonable.
But, if the mic works as it should, and if you have use for it, you should keep it, as that particular model is one of the "good" 414's, far preferable to most if not all of the versions which came after it. Good luck.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
AKG sold those mics sealed in a plastic bag with the wind sock mounted. The outside layer is a cloth that sheds fibers. Every B-ULS capsule is coated with those fine fibers. I brought this up to AKG several times at trade shows but they didn't do anything to stop that.
Maybe that is one factor in the "warm" sound of that model? (half kidding).
PS I store all of my mics with an unsealed plastic bag over the mic, whether they are in a cloth bag, a foam-lined box, have a foam pop filter, or even just a vinyl bag. Jim's post just reinforces that as a valid safety precaution (although obviously, what was done during shipment, or by previous owners, cannot be controlled).

Last edited by edva; 27th February 2017 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: PS
Old 27th February 2017
Here for the gear

Unfortunately I need the money. At this point with those bubble and faint cig smell... I'd be pleased to get $300 for it. Is that a reasonable price? It functions fine.. last I tried it, sounds the same as when I bought it new.

I suppose I'll still write AKG first. I'll report back here what they say.
Old 27th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
AKG sold those mics sealed in a plastic bag with the wind sock mounted. The outside layer is a cloth that sheds fibers. Every B-ULS capsule is coated with those fine fibers.
So I assume this is a very bad thing for the capsule. I'll immediately remove wind screen off my B-ULS
Old 27th February 2017
Quote:
Unfortunately I need the money. At this point with those bubble and faint cig smell... I'd be pleased to get $300 for it. Is that a reasonable price? It functions fine.. last I tried it, sounds the same as when I bought it new.

You can ask whatever you feel for the mic. Just take a look at other 414 B-ULS sellings around the net and compare mic condition
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

If it actually works fine, it should be worth at least $500. IMHO. Maybe $450 because of the bubbles. At a minimum IMHO. Good luck.
PS selling on GS is the least expensive way, then probably Reverb. ebay is an expensive way to sell, but does cast a wide net. That model of mic is rather popular though, and you should find a buyer without too much trouble.

Last edited by edva; 27th February 2017 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: +
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just wondering why my AKG C414-BULS which I purchased around 1998 has little bumps on it similar to the following photo I found online of it:

I assume this is some sort of manufacturing flaw? If so, would be nice if they replaced the enclosure. Does it affect the mic's condensor plate/disc (or whatever it is) as well?

I bought a 414-BULS a year ago that had the same kind of bubbles in the finish, but there was no impact on performance. I got it for $400 because of the cosmetic flaws.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Head

I'll buy it for $300! I think you could get more for it though. Regarding price, Here's the big question: do you have a shockmount, case, or windscreen to go with it? That adds value. The shockmounts usually sell for $80. Without any of these things, I'd say $400 is about right. If you have the whole kit, $500. At the end of the day, the BULS is a killer mic. Sell it for a good price, it's worth it and people want it. It's my favorite mic, works on just about anything.
Old 28th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyull View Post
I'll buy it for $300! I think you could get more for it though. Regarding price, Here's the big question: do you have a shockmount, case, or windscreen to go with it? That adds value. The shockmounts usually sell for $80. Without any of these things, I'd say $400 is about right. If you have the whole kit, $500. At the end of the day, the BULS is a killer mic. Sell it for a good price, it's worth it and people want it. It's my favorite mic, works on just about anything.
I have everything that came with the mic. I believe I paid $949 for it in 1998.
1) the case (in good condition with minor blemishes)
2) both of the pieces of case foam in good condition
3) the instruction manual, important notice sheet & warranty card
4) the shock mount thing with string -- needs to be restrung (have to figure it out)
5) the foam capsule with the mic in it in a half open plastic bag.
6) the little mic stand adapter thing
Old 28th February 2017
Here for the gear

Here are some photos I just snapped. The mic needs cleaning on one side.. some smudge on it. What's the safest cleaner? I guess I could try water in very lightly damp cloth. Also the shock absorber needs cleaning .. dusty. Needs re-strung.

(If an admin upgrades my privelages, I'll put image tags around the links below so they can be shown without having to click on each individually.)

http://oi65.tinypic.com/107153o.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2nt9t94.jpg

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2n8aiok.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/s3zrjr.jpg

http://oi66.tinypic.com/apdzc9.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/11gt943.jpg

EDIT: Got the smudge off easily with very lightly damp cloth & water. Looks good except for the bumps due to manufacturing flaw. (This mic was never dropped.. no dents). The HB-100 shockmount is half metal and looks perfect.. no bumps.. it was stored with the mic in its case is temperature & humidity controlled home. Just took the windscreen off the mic and put it under lamp over white table and brushed it with my fingers.. I see what you are talking about with respect to the micro fibers and why you store mic in bag. Fortunately this mic has only been put in the screen and taken out of the screen maybe 10 times during its entire lifetime -- and when inside that screen it's always been sitting on a shelf not moving. I just started storing the mic in a plastic bag as of the other day after reading this message. The mic has a very faint cigarette smell -- my dad smoked and had the mic on the mic stand in the living room for about 6 years; he passed in 2009 so it's had eight years to air out.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here are some photos I just snapped. The mic needs cleaning on one side.. some smudge on it. What's the safest cleaner? I guess I could try water in very lightly damp cloth. Also the shock absorber needs cleaning .. dusty. Needs re-strung.

(If an admin upgrades my privelages, I'll put image tags around the links below so they can be shown without having to click on each individually.)

http://oi65.tinypic.com/107153o.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2nt9t94.jpg

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2n8aiok.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/s3zrjr.jpg

http://oi66.tinypic.com/apdzc9.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/11gt943.jpg

EDIT: Got the smudge off easily with very lightly damp cloth & water. Looks good except for the bumps due to manufacturing flaw. (This mic was never dropped.. no dents). The HB-100 shockmount is half metal and looks perfect.. no bumps.. it was stored with the mic in its case is temperature & humidity controlled home. Just took the windscreen off the mic and put it under lamp over white table and brushed it with my fingers.. I see what you are talking about with respect to the micro fibers and why you store mic in bag. Fortunately this mic has only been put in the screen and taken out of the screen maybe 10 times during its entire lifetime -- and when inside that screen it's always been sitting on a shelf not moving. I just started storing the mic in a plastic bag as of the other day after reading this message. The mic has a very faint cigarette smell -- my dad smoked and had the mic on the mic stand in the living room for about 6 years; he passed in 2009 so it's had eight years to air out.
If I were you, I'd ask $550- 650 for that mic, minimum. IMHO. It is a true classic, if it didn't have those bumps, probably $650-750, minimum. IMHO. Good luck.
PS most of the B-ULS 414's have been heavily used, and beat to crap, which is why you will see some priced slightly lower. Most do not come with all the original accessories. You have a very very good offering there, which is why I'm estimating a higher price for yours. The cigarette smoke issue is unfortunate, but, not uncommon for mics of that vintage. The bubbles are uncommon, but do not affect the performance of the mic. Good luck.

Last edited by edva; 28th February 2017 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: PS+
Old 28th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
If I were you, I'd ask $550- 600 for that mic, minimum. IMHO. It is a true classic, if it didn't have those bumps, probably $650-700, minimum. IMHO. Good luck.
PS most of the B-ULS 414's have been heavily used, and beat to crap, which is why you will see some priced slightly lower. Most do not come with all the original accessories. You have a very very good offering there, which is why I'm estimating a higher price for yours. The cigarette smoke issue is unfortunate, but, not uncommon for mics of that vintage. The bubbles are uncommon, but do not affect the performance of the mic. Good luck.
Thank you. I am going to put it up on ebay (after I restring the shock absorber) and clean up everything nicely, with a starting bid of $400, $15 shipping and see where it goes. A bit afraid of selling pricey gear on ebay.. never did that before.. always in the $20-300 range in the past. I hope ebay protects me if I get scammed by some buyer. I have 100% feedback over the years and have sold lots.

Thanks again.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have an AKG 414u-bls circa 1990 with the same problem. I assumed it was from the foam rubber in the storage case. I thought there might be some off-gassing from the rubber and that the fumes might have reacted with the finish on the mic. I also have some Senneiser 421's and the the foam rubber in their cases completely dissolved into a gooey mess and would stick to the mics and anything they touched. So much so that I had to throw the stuff out. Just a theory.

It could also possibly be the aluminum frame of the mic starting to corrode under the finish. The metal may have been improperly treated and it's caused the finish to lift in places. My mic still sounds the same after all these years so I think it's just cosmetic.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
If I were you, I'd ask $550- 650 for that mic, minimum. IMHO. It is a true classic, if it didn't have those bumps, probably $650-750, minimum. IMHO. Good luck.
I agree, $550 minimum. You have the whole kit! $550 is a great deal. I hope you get more
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you. I am going to put it up on ebay (after I restring the shock absorber) and clean up everything nicely, with a starting bid of $400, $15 shipping and see where it goes. A bit afraid of selling pricey gear on ebay.. never did that before.. always in the $20-300 range in the past. I hope ebay protects me if I get scammed by some buyer. I have 100% feedback over the years and have sold lots.

Thanks again.
ebay and paypal are expensive, and will cost you, but, in terms of security, I must say I have found them to be like the gestappo - they will go after anyone who cheats, and they can access bank accounts and credit cards almost at will - I think the odds of someone successfully scamming you are very small. Good luck with your sale.
Old 28th February 2017
Here for the gear

I was cleaning up the accessories for the mic and I noticed the wind shield was a little crinkled / out of shape. Went to try and reshape it a little and it tore easily (small tear you can't see now). I guess it seems to be deteriorating. Should I still sell it with the mic? Or should I throw that junk away and make a custom foam inserts for both sides of the case that allow the mic to sit in the case securely, in its unsealed plastic zip lock bag? Last night I took the wind screen over the white table top under a bright light and ran finger across and it was shedding these nasty little fibers. I suppose I could sell with the mic int eh bag inside this wind screen, with a warning advising the buyer to toss it if they want to.

Don't know what to do about this exactly, lol.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was cleaning up the accessories for the mic and I noticed the wind shield was a little crinkled / out of shape. Went to try and reshape it a little and it tore easily (small tear you can't see now). I guess it seems to be deteriorating. Should I still sell it with the mic? Or should I throw that junk away and make a custom foam inserts for both sides of the case that allow the mic to sit in the case securely, in its unsealed plastic zip lock bag? Last night I took the wind screen over the white table top under a bright light and ran finger across and it was shedding these nasty little fibers. I suppose I could sell with the mic int eh bag inside this wind screen, with a warning advising the buyer to toss it if they want to.

Don't know what to do about this exactly, lol.
I'd advise you to keep everything as original as possible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search