The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me kit out my new studio Studio Monitors
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Head

Help me kit out my new studio

Hopefully this'll be relatively fun to join in on. I'm moving to a new studio space in a new house and am looking to invest in a bunch of high end gear before the end of this tax year (so just over a month to make decisions and purchase stuff!).

I've got a budget of between £15-£20k and I'm looking to pick up preamps, EQs and compressors. I'm looking to use them to record instruments/vocals and for sampling synths and various noises, and to also use on the mix buss for music I'm writing.

At the moment I primarily do everything in the box (with UAD plugs mainly, but also SoundToys and Kush Audio).

Plus, I also already own a UAD 6176, Analog Addicts mono preamp, Thermionic Culture Vulture, Elysia Xpressor and a Gyraf Pultec EQ clone.

I've drawn up a potential final list of:
Neve 1073 DPA and Audient ASP880 preamps; API 5500, Chandler Tone Control (pair) and Kush Audio Clariphonic EQ units; Neve 33609/J and Thermionic Culture Phoenix compressors.

I've listened to a bunch of things in friends' studios, read through threads on here and also checked out YouTube videos and gear reviews to arrive at this list. Plus, it's influenced by the fact I can get a couple of the things pristine, second hand. But I also welcome some views from the experts on here - if you're interested in chipping in!

Does that sound like a quality, flexible collection of gear? Anybody want to throw in some alternatives for me to consider?

Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

How much are you budgeting for acoustic treatment and monitoring?

-Jim
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundthinker View Post
How much are you budgeting for acoustic treatment and monitoring?

-Jim
I haven't decided entirely on that yet (though I'm considering the Neumann KH120s as new monitors). But it'll be a separate budget from this one.
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfinished View Post
But it'll be a separate budget from this one.
Good thinking. I'd consider putting a few thousand aside for acoustics. On the KH120: they are good, but unless you are in a really small room, I'd look at something larger.
Old 23rd February 2017
I agree with the sentiment of the comments above, having been in your position building a home studio then going on the build a £500,000 studio, start sorting out your room and monitors first or you'll end up pulling your hair out wondering why your music doesn't sound right. Seriously, there's zero point in all that great gear if you can't properly hear what's going on. If that was my £20k I'd spend nearly half on a pair of ATC SCM25a's or if the room's big enough, on the ATC50's. Then I'd treat the room so it sounds comfortable & natural to your ears, and fine tune any bumps with something like the Speaker Calibration | Sonarworks speaker correction software , which is a steal. Then when you can trust what your hearing from your software, you'll know if spending more money on hardware is the way to go. I'm rebuilding our SSL mix room right now because the room didn't sound good enough, and £200,000 worth of gear didn't make up for it. It's not as sexy as buying new gear to play with, but if what you care about is making music that sounds great, and being able to enjoy making music where you're confident that you know what you're doing, then you need speakers and a room that you can trust. Maybe £8k on speakers is overkill, but the Neumann's you mentioned probably aren't quite up to matching the level of outboard spend you're talking about. If you're spending that money you need really good monitors. Our ATCs are just about the most essential item in all our studios. Good luck!
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Head

The new studio won't be that big and will be temporary (just a year), so I shan't be throwing a load of money at acoustic treatment (although I do have a friend who's something of an expert on the subject who'll be assisting me with that - so i am covering that element).

The main thing is, I have a short window to invest in some gear and welcome thoughts on my selections, as I have a limited time to check out any alternatives.

Cheers.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

Spend big on mics and monitors. You make no real mention of either.
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
Spend big on mics and monitors. You make no real mention of either.
Separate budget for that stuff. I'm really just asking about outboard gear with this post.
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfinished View Post
Hopefully this'll be relatively fun to join in on. I'm moving to a new studio space in a new house and am looking to invest in a bunch of high end gear before the end of this tax year (so just over a month to make decisions and purchase stuff!).

I've got a budget of between £15-£20k and I'm looking to pick up preamps, EQs and compressors. I'm looking to use them to record instruments/vocals and for sampling synths and various noises, and to also use on the mix buss for music I'm writing.

At the moment I primarily do everything in the box (with UAD plugs mainly, but also SoundToys and Kush Audio).

Plus, I also already own a UAD 6176, Analog Addicts mono preamp, Thermionic Culture Vulture, Elysia Xpressor and a Gyraf Pultec EQ clone.

I've drawn up a potential final list of:
Neve 1073 DPA and Audient ASP880 preamps; API 5500, Chandler Tone Control (pair) and Kush Audio Clariphonic EQ units; Neve 33609/J and Thermionic Culture Phoenix compressors.

I've listened to a bunch of things in friends' studios, read through threads on here and also checked out YouTube videos and gear reviews to arrive at this list. Plus, it's influenced by the fact I can get a couple of the things pristine, second hand. But I also welcome some views from the experts on here - if you're interested in chipping in!

Does that sound like a quality, flexible collection of gear? Anybody want to throw in some alternatives for me to consider?

Thanks in advance!
Everything on this list will suit you as it's all nice gear.

Buy it all.

Apparently you've already done your research and you're not at all interested in anything other people are telling you so I say, definitely spend all that dough on the gear you mentioned.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search