The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which Converters should I invest in? Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Head

Which Converters should I invest in?

Which Converters should I get? I want to make a move next month.

I decided that Thunderbolt was the technology I wanted to invest in. That eliminated a lot of other converters that were non-thunderbolt for me.

My other requirement that it be at least 16 channels as that is the number of channels on my console.

I was hoping to keep the price down to $2,500 to $3,000 dollars.

The following is basically what I found and my impression of each. I was wondering if anyone had any input on these choices:

Orion Studio+. Its thunderbolt, I don't really need the 32 channel Orion. This has a ton of features and is a lot of bang for the buck.

Lynx Aurora LT-TB. Pretty outdated by now, but still even used can go for as much as the Orion Studio. Seems reliable and robust. I think because it has AES I/O, down the road I get get other high end converters and use the Aurora as my Thunderbolt interface to my computer. I think you can do that, but I'm not sure. That would be very appealing for me because I would ultimately want to get JCF converters down the road.

Apollo 16 - I like of the sound of it. Maybe its hyped a little in the low end, I'm not sure. But it at least sounds very good and the plugins seem excellent or above everything else. Plus some integration with the Apollo Twin could be interesting.

MOTU 16a - Don't laugh. Dirt cheap in my mind. Seems to be comparable to the original Apogee Symphony as it is the same chip set. I wonder how it stacks up to the Aurora? It has more headroom I believe.

Comments? Is there anything I'm not considering? Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albini View Post

Lynx Aurora LT-TB. Pretty outdated by now, but still even used can go for as much as the Orion Studio. Seems reliable and robust. I think because it has AES I/O, down the road I get get other high end converters and use the Aurora as my Thunderbolt interface to my computer. I think you can do that, but I'm not sure. That would be very appealing for me because I would ultimately want to get JCF converters down the road.
Lynx is releasing an updated line of Auroras so maybe not outdated anymore.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Head

There is that, but the Aurora (n) would be the most expensive option at around 4k for the thunderbolt. That will be something to consider.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Head

Antelope Audio Pure 2. But wait!!!! Somethings telling me that Antelope Audio is going to be releasing a newer updated version of the Pure 2 very soon.
Old 22nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Head View Post
Antelope Audio Pure 2. But wait!!!! Somethings telling me that Antelope Audio is going to be releasing a newer updated version of the Pure 2 very soon.
Pure 3 :P? Not sure if they will be doing a Pure 2+ to be sure, since Pure2 is so great as it is
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I would Just go with the appollo. Sounds great and works like a charm.
Old 23rd February 2017
With your budget I'd go with the Orion, best bang for the buck, and it sounds great, I prefer it to the apollo.
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I have a Lynx Aurora 16 TB and a couple of Apollo 16 mkii. If you're not interested in the UAD DSP, I would go with the Lynx. It has the 16x16 analog I/O plus another 16x16 digital I/O. The Apollo only has two digital channels (it does have 18 analog outs, though - a dedicated pair for monitors - and I'm a UAD plugin junkie, too)

I can't tell the difference between the conversion quality, but I ran the comparison test (Didier Brest's thread in the shootout section here) and the Lynx measured a little better.

I guess I would check out the new Aurora, but I myself would not hesitate to pick up a used one. I've had mine for years and years and it has been rock solid.
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Addict

Please take a listen to the new Dangerous Convert line.
Old 23rd February 2017
Wouldn't consider anything in this discussion "High End", really.

Edit: Except the Convert, which is way out of your budget if you're talking +2 channels.

Last edited by batlanyard; 23rd February 2017 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Convert - own one.
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albini View Post
Which Converters should I get? I want to make a move next month.

I decided that Thunderbolt was the technology I wanted to invest in. That eliminated a lot of other converters that were non-thunderbolt for me.

My other requirement that it be at least 16 channels as that is the number of channels on my console.

I was hoping to keep the price down to $2,500 to $3,000 dollars.
In this price range I would got for the Lynx Aurora 16 with TB card.
It has a detailed an kind of warm sound. Ok, not really High End like a Forssell or Acousence but clocked with a real good external clock it is close to them.
But what would you expect from a 16 channel unit for the same price as a high end 2 channel unit?
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Head
Hello everyone,

i am considering the Orion Studio myself as well. The other closest option is the UA Apollo 8p or the 16 and maybe the Ensemble from Apogee?

I think that for that price range the Orion Studio is among the top concerning connectivity, Antelope's legendary clocking and good converters, plus an overgrowing list of plugins. On the other hand the Apollo looks like an industry standard...

Since some of you said that you like the sound of the Apollo, has anyone actually had experience with all the units above? Or at least the Orion Studio compared with others?

Thanks
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Like the other poster said it's not a "High End" forum thread due to your budget vs. number of channels of conversion needed. As for deterimining converters you need to answer more questions just to narrow the list. Unless you have a Mac without PCIe slots or are using a laptop for your DAW computer, using a PCIe card computer interface will give you the best performance. Even with Mac Pros some are using a Thunderbolt expansion chasis to use a PCIe card audio interface solution. We know you need at least 16 channels of conversion but at what sample rate? What DAW(s) are you using (Pro Tools gets more complicated)?

Read threads here on the Alesis HD24XR in combination with a RME 9652 (PCI) or RME Raydat (PCIe). A used HD24XR and 9652 will be around $1.1K and give you 24 channels of decent conversion with still one of the best low latency at full load interfaces. Jim Williams does an udgrade of the HD24XR too but many find stock works great. Read threads here on the 24 channel SSL converters paired with a MADI interface.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
If you're not interested in the UAD DSP, I would go with the Lynx. It has the 16x16 analog I/O plus another 16x16 digital I/O. The Apollo only has two digital channels
Exactly. With 16x16 AES I/O of the Lynx you can use the best available converters with AES and ue the Lynx as Thunderbolt-AES interface if you don´t like its converters.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

I would say a 16x16 Apogee Symphony mk2, love mine (have the 8x8 but same converters)
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Prisim ADA8XR with FireWire card -> thunderbolt adapter
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
I would say a 16x16 Apogee Symphony mk2, love mine (have the 8x8 but same converters)
yea, but wouldn't that be 5 grand?

op was talking about 2.5-3k so apollo16mk2 is the best choice imo
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
yea, but wouldn't that be 5 grand?

op was talking about 2.5-3k so apollo16mk2 is the best choice imo
Ah my mistake yes and I agree the black Apollos are equally as good.
Old 5th April 2017
I use a MOTU 16A daily. Sounds great, reliable.

Check out the latest vids in my signature..I tracked and mixed them on my MOTU 16A in the last 4-6 weeks

cheers

Wiz

Last edited by Wiz_Oz; 5th April 2017 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search