The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG K812 vs K872 Studio Headphones
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Nut

AKG K812 vs K872

Hi,
Strangely I could not find any existing thread about the AKG K872 compared to the K812.
At first, I was one click away from buying the K812. They would replace my ancient K240 that have served me well.
Since I find it hard to hear the details in my "home studio" while listening to my speakers, I tend to lean towards using the headphones instead. So I figured, I should have the best headphones my favorite headphone maker makes. So i can truly hear everything, and enjoy music the most.
Headphones makes so much sense since my acoustics is untreated too.

But now i have a dilemma, now when i found out that there is an even better closed back pair i consider them instead.
Whats holding me back from the K812 is basically the open, detailed sound of open back headphones.
Maybe i could use my studio speakers to hear the space, depth "openness" etc. Get the feel for the tune. And the headphones whenever i can't hear something clear enough with my speakers. As a reference source.

So my question is - Have you compared these two? And do you consider the K872 to be similar to the K812s open back characteristics even tho they are closed back?

Best wishes!
Johan

Last edited by Wedoh; 21st February 2017 at 02:04 PM..
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

I haven't directly compared the two, but I question the k812s for use as a reference system since they have fairly significant distortion. The AKG K812 Professional Reference Headphone | InnerFidelity

That said, some people swear by them, and it's really up to your ears and what works for you.
Old 23rd February 2017
I'm very interested in testing the K812 as well, I've never heard them but I'm using a K712 for a few years and love them, I've used a K702 until I've got the K712 which I now have two pairs of :-)
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
I'm very interested in testing the K812 as well, I've never heard them but I'm using a K712 for a few years and love them, I've used a K702 until I've got the K712 which I now have two pairs of :-)
Try them!

I have worked with 702s for years too, then i decided to try and ordered both, the K712 and K812.
The 812s are really different regarding resolution, detail and depth. I couldn't go back and work with the other ones.
Getting the bass right is so much easier, as they really show the single elements of a mix.
The only thing i'm not completely happy with is that i think they soften the area around 2-3 kHz a bit. On my K702s and on my speakers i'm sometimes hearing a harshness that doesn't seem to come through on my K812s.
On the other hand, the dip there makes it even easier to work with them for long times.

I use them for over a year now and never heard any distortion (regarding the post above yours).

Also, they had a big price drop recently (at least in europe)...

edit: On topic - sorry, haven't heard the closed back ones yet - i prefer working with open cans, although i think they would rock for location recordings.
Old 5th May 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone get a chance to hear the k872 yet? Thoughts?
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Anyone get a chance to hear the k872 yet? Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedoh View Post
So my question is - Have you compared these two? And do you consider the K872 to be similar to the K812s open back characteristics even tho they are closed back?

I'm interested in this question as well. I currently have the K812, and have been successfully been mixing and recording with them for 2 years now to great results. I am interested in the K872 now, because of it's closed design.

Interesting quote from this article:

So what I'm saying here is the K872 and K812 sound different. The K812 is leaner, the K872 fuller, the K812 is more transparent, open, and spacious, the K872 is less so. The K812 lets you hear the world around you, the K872 hushes the din. They look and feel nearly the same, and they're both the same retail price, $1,499, but it's easier to find discounts on the K812.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search