The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Reference Cardioid Preamp Pairing Single-Channel Preamps
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

I most recently used it again with the Chandler TG Channel 2 and got great results again.
Old 27th July 2017
used the Manley ref with the Chandler redd and cl1b, great combo.
Old 27th July 2017
ref-API512

Last edited by callmelaub; 1st August 2017 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: I got off topic :-)
Old 29th July 2017
Gear Addict

Can't go wrong with a 1073 flavor! On the budget end, the Manley Reference sounds awesome paired with a Vintech x73i.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear
Avalon M5 or API
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Great mic on the right voice and echo the BAE suggestion to refocus it a bit from that sibilance range. On my personal stuff, I use it with a much hated DBX576 that has a tube compressor. It just works, I'm still using the original 30 year old Chinese tubes, have tried many replacements but when those die a proper burial will ensue.

Does that combo sound good?
Old 3rd September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ministertrav1 View Post
Does that combo sound good?
With the BAE you get that 1073 focusing where the low/hi end are not out of control. To my ears the Manley Ref has pretty open high end.

If we're talking DBX 576, tons of gear have come and gone and it's still here after a couple decades, maybe more. It could be it just fits my voice, no matter what mic I run through it.
With the Manley, just turn the treble down 1 click, engage that tube compressor on Overeasy and let it rip. It's not a true tube preamp in the sense that you want to overdrive it. It's designed for vocals with most of the dials at 12 o'clock (talked with one of the designers). The tube runs at about 80% of its rated capacity so you get that "starved plate" label which means nothing to me if the unit sounds good! There's plenty of juice there.
Old 4th September 2017
Try slowing down the release on your compressor when tracking.

I would look for used preamps to save coin. The BAE recommendation is solid.

Since you have a lunch box you can explore CAPI like vp28 or vp312... Also the RTZ 9762A 500 series is awesome and kinda a neve but something more of its own sound. Build and sound quality through the roof.
CAPI has builders if you don't DIY
http://capi-gear.com/catalog/index.p...=22_117_55_169

http://capi-gear.com/catalog/index.p..._117_55_92_194

http://www.rtzaudio.com/pages/9762A.html
Old 4th September 2017
Gear Addict

Yet another BAE 1073 vote. I rarely use the EQ but it's a great way to smooth sibilance and add enough color so it feels mix-ready.
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
With the BAE you get that 1073 focusing where the low/hi end are not out of control. To my ears the Manley Ref has pretty open high end.

If we're talking DBX 576, tons of gear have come and gone and it's still here after a couple decades, maybe more. It could be it just fits my voice, no matter what mic I run through it.
With the Manley, just turn the treble down 1 click, engage that tube compressor on Overeasy and let it rip. It's not a true tube preamp in the sense that you want to overdrive it. It's designed for vocals with most of the dials at 12 o'clock (talked with one of the designers). The tube runs at about 80% of its rated capacity so you get that "starved plate" label which means nothing to me if the unit sounds good! There's plenty of juice there.

Yea i was referring to the DBX. i actually like the dbx sound. i just got a manley ref and i have the ua apollo with the neve unison and ssl unison. its sounds good but i have a love for analog mic pres. i mean i could go for a gap with carnhills but i have that sound in the box.. theres a guy selling a 586 i thought of picking up.. you got any samples?
Old 8th September 2017
Heard it by a friend who uses it with a Neve 1073lb...dang!!!! Match made in heaven
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

I've used BAE 1073 pairing as well, both alone and into a UA 1176 or a Purple Audio Action.... also all great with the Ref Mic. Great with so many things!
Old 10th October 2017
Thanks for all the awesome responses!

I'm learning towards a BAE, Avedis MA5, Or Mercury M72.

I've never tried the mercury but I have a good feeling about it.
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear

I use it paired with a Vintech x73i and/or a UA 6176 (with or without the compressor depending on the vocalist/instrument). Works great with both though I tend to favor the x73i.
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

The single channel Manley tube preamp sounds wonderful with this mic, too. It's a choice that doesn't get as much notice as it should, IMHO.

As always, YMMV.
Old 10th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
The single channel Manley tube preamp sounds wonderful with this mic, too. It's a choice that doesn't get as much notice as it should, IMHO.

As always, YMMV.
I've looked at that one but like you said it doesn't get much buzz, which is a shame because it could be a gem!

Any idea how the Langevin Dual Mono/Langevin Dual Vocal compares to the Manley ones? (vs Manley Dual Mono and the Voxbox)

I know Manley bought Langevin
but are the differences worth the extra price tag? It seems like the Langevin ones are significantly cheaper and I wonder if that is because they aren't pro quality or if it's missing the "Manley" name.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

All three are different. The Manley 40dB is an all tube design. The Langevin is discrete solid state. The Voxbox is tube but gets the initial gain in the preamp from a transformer. (Manley winds all their own transformers, too.)
Manley has owned the rights to the Langevin brand for a long time. Everything they make is pro. I own them (along with the mic in question) and am a happy user.
The Langevin feels like a halfway point between the Neve and API takes on sonics. Very nice. The 40dB is wonderful. No way to lose, assuming the sound fits your needs.
Old 11th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
All three are different. The Manley 40dB is an all tube design. The Langevin is discrete solid state. The Voxbox is tube but gets the initial gain in the preamp from a transformer. (Manley winds all their own transformers, too.)
Manley has owned the rights to the Langevin brand for a long time. Everything they make is pro. I own them (along with the mic in question) and am a happy user.
The Langevin feels like a halfway point between the Neve and API takes on sonics. Very nice. The 40dB is wonderful. No way to lose, assuming the sound fits your needs.
Thanks for the detailed response!
Very helpful.
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostinthamusic View Post
Thanks for the detailed response!
Very helpful.

i have the bae 1073 and the ua la 610 mkii and prefer the 610 with my ref c
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to find a good match for my Ref C. Currently just using it with my Apollo, but definitely want something that's a little less sterile. Mainly used for loud rock/pop vocals, very mid-forward voice (particularly hot around 700Hz - 1kHz). I'm really leaning towards one of these:

Burl B1 (I love almost every sample I've heard of this; just wish there were more!)
A-Designs P-1 (again, sounds lovely on just about everything I've heard, but I'm worried it might be a little too bright for the Ref C)
ADL 700 (have been eyeballing this one for a while)

I'm also considering the Heritage 73jr, the Neve 88RLB, and the Phoenix DRS-1.

I know some people love the P-1 with the Manley, but does anyone have any input on the other pairings?

Thanks!
Old 17th October 2017
Gear Head

Has anyone heard one through a ULN-8 pre? Curious how it sounds with a cleaner pre.

Last edited by Red20Seven; 22nd October 2017 at 11:47 PM..
Old 5th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
My choices would be the following

Avalon 2022
Rupert Neve 5012
Great River
Hi Glenn! can you explain me why avalon is your first choice with Manley reference cardioid? I have that pre and i think to buy that Mic! Thank u very much!
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Sorry to resurrect, today I've made a comparison of the different uad unisons preamps (I have) with the manley ref C, so this might help some people,

I made the comparison "blind", then I asked my wife to listen to the recordings too, to have one somewhat professional opinion (me lol) and an amateur opinion too,
We largely agreed on most things.

Recording was me singing, midrangy sharp male voice.

Here's what we thought, take it for what it's worth :

Built-in preamp : Clear, crisp, but too clinical, make the vocal sound like a good recording, but a recording anyway, lacks life and mojo.

API vision preamp : Not a fan, darker than the in-built preamp, adds a bit of grit but loses clarity too, adds a bit of mojo but nothing crazy.

Neve 1073 : I liked the vibe, make the sound brighter, more sizzly, but I think it's not the right choice for the manley that is already pretty bright and didn't work on my voice too. Was getting too much sibilance, sound was feeling too "electrical."

Helios preamp : The good surprise, worked really well on my midrangy voice, make the sound crisp, upfront but also adds body. One of my top three. Not the number one because I think it's overkill with the manley, sound is getting too sharp, the body added doesn't bring enough warmth to counterbalance the sharpness and make the sound balanced.

UA-610 B (500 Ohms) : Also one of my top three. Clear, crisp, and melts the sound nicely. Close to the helios sound, less body but more detailed, shimmery, but nothing too aggressive, nice balance. A matter of taste between this one and the helios. Really depends on the voice, like everything else.

UA-610 B (2K ohms): Too bright to my ears. Shimmers turned to harshness. Might work on some bassy voices or with another mic.

Neve 88RS preamp: My top 1, really a surprise too, Adds body and melts gently the sound to make it less harsh, creamy but while retaining clarity and intelligibility. Really worked well with the manley and my sharp voice. It adds mojo and glue the words together (you know that type of sound, you feel like the words get connected, the voice becomes more fluid in a way hard to describe) and still it sounds clean and professional, not too dark. The most balanced pairing for the manley to our ears. A bit more discreet in its effect than an Helios or ua 610 b (500) but really respect the source, recording comes out like it needs to.

Also, some of the preamps, when checked on midrangy avantones speakers translated worse than others, the 88RS translated the same on the speakers and heaphones.

That was my two cents, unfortunately couldn't try the SSL, Century and voxbox.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Head

Manley Mike-E

What about a Manley Ref C into an Empirical Labs Mike-e?

Anyone tried that combo for voice?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search