The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL G externals or stand alone monitor controllers? DAW Software
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Nut
SSL G externals or stand alone monitor controllers?

I'm currently returning my 2 track back from daw to the externals on the SSL 4056 G to monitor the mix foldback. Is there a better way to do this by using a monitor controller or should I mod the external buffers on the console? How are others handling this? Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017
You mean so you can monitor your mix after / whilst recording post pro tools? Sounds like you've got it right. At least that's how we're doing it anyway. Useful to hear your mix through a little non destructive brick wall limiting too.
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Nut
There are those who seem to feel that the external input buffers cloud up the low end and obscure the mix. I have seen people use an avocet as a monitor controller to get around that limitation of the console. Others have modded the buffers on the 25 card to clear up the issues in monitoring !
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs View Post
There are those who seem to feel that the external input buffers cloud up the low end and obscure the mix. I have seen people use an avocet as a monitor controller to get around that limitation of the console. Others have modded the buffers on the 25 card to clear up the issues in monitoring !
Any more info on this mods? I'm also using the external inputs of my SSL 4K
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Nut
Jim Williams of audio upgrades has a list of caps to replace on the 25 card that quote makes it seem like your ears have just poped after an airplane ride.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs View Post
Jim Williams of audio upgrades has a list of caps to replace on the 25 card that quote makes it seem like your ears have just poped after an airplane ride.
I'll get in touch with him.

Thanks!
Old 27th February 2017
You can easily test if this is the case by switching between your mix pre pro tools and the same thing returned on the externals post pro tools. Can't say I've noticed any difference in the past, though I'm curious now! I guess what you really want to know is what the mix actually sounds like, so it might be worth using caution before changing anything which might be enhancing the audio. Just a thought anyway.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Nut
I don't think the mods do any enhancing. I think it has most to do with the bass freqs being cloudy in the externals . I regularly flip back and forth between the console and the pt print. I notice a difference. I use the Burl a to d and the Orion discrete d to a for the monitoring . I usually listen to the print most of the time while mixing. Sometimes I use the limiter in real time to see what it will sound like limited. I could see how a class a discrete system like the avocet would be even cleaner than the externals but I love the flexibility of using the center section for all these functions . I just wondered if other people were sweating these details. I think thrill has an avocet on top of his 8k in the pics I saw of his rig.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search