The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Revox C278 upgrade to high speed? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Revox C278 upgrade to high speed?

Has anybody upgraded a Revox C278 to high speed? Somebody said here Studer still supports the C-series, but the party are pretty expensive. How much exactly, if anyone knows?
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Bump?
500€, 1k, 2k?
Worth it?
Anybody did it?
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

No upgrade possible
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Hey, Plush, thank you for the respond. What a pity. I didn't know that.

Are you 100% sure? The seller has written clearly, that this can be done. In the phone call he stated that and said something about the parts which should be exchanged. Now I'm confused.

By the way, do you like that machine? How does it compare to other Studers/Revox soundwise?
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Revox is still selling some parts, not Studer. They are totally separated entities now.

Upgrade is possible but it needs changing a lot of things, eq cards, mechanical parts attached to the motors etc. Very complicated. And very expensive if they sell you the parts.

As an example : a set of new erase/record/replay heads is about €900 direct from Revox last time I checked. I bought a used C278 in perfect shape for €1000.

You'd be better off finding another one with the right speeds and keep the one you already have for parts.
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Merci beaucoup.
C278 hispeed in perfect shape for €1000??!! That was a great deal.

Only new cards for €900... you're right. it won't be cheap.
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
Merci beaucoup.
C278 hispeed in perfect shape for €1000??!! That was a great deal.

Only new cards for €900... you're right. it won't be cheap.
Yeah it was a great deal, coming from RTL radio, almost unused. But I've seen several since around that price. I'm sure you can find one in Switzerland. Lots of Revox/Studer over there. I really hesitated buying a second one just because I love that machine. Very dependable, great sound, low noise floor, ease of use etc... I recorded some jazz and garage rock with it with great success. Drums especially sound like a record instantly.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Plush was right. Even a very experienced Studer/Revox tech here in Zurich rejected it and said, it is theoretically maybe possible, but nobody would do that. Too many parts had to be replaced. I could give that 2 logging tapes back and got my money back. But I lost some time. Ok, I learnt something.

Just want to tell you guys, who are after a Revox C278:
Keep in mind that there are LOGGING versions, which are NOT suitable for making any kind of music. So, be aware and ask the seller for the speed. Don't make the same mistake as I did. And don't believe that the upgrade can be done.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
Plush was right. Even a very experienced Studer/Revox tech here in Zurich rejected it and said, it is theoretically maybe possible, but nobody would do that. Too many parts had to be replaced. I could give that 2 logging tapes back and got my money back. But I lost some time. Ok, I learnt something.

Just want to tell you guys, who are after a Revox C278:
Keep in mind that there are LOGGING versions, which are NOT suitable for making any kind of music. So, be aware and ask the seller for the speed. Don't make the same mistake as I did. And don't believe that the upgrade can be done.
Do you know if any of the internal parts can be used from a logging machine, eg heads or any of the cards? If so it could work as a parts machine, or you could sell off some of the bits individually.

Another thing to be aware of is that for some stupid reason the people who make the battery that goes inside a C278 decided to change the polarity, and the new ones will no longer work. It's possible to change the wiring around within the machine, which my tech managed to do, but he said it was a difficult job and took a few hours.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Do you know if any of the internal parts can be used from a logging machine, eg heads or any of the cards? If so it could work as a parts machine, or you could sell off some of the bits individually.

Another thing to be aware of is that for some stupid reason the people who make the battery that goes inside a C278 decided to change the polarity, and the new ones will no longer work. It's possible to change the wiring around within the machine, which my tech managed to do, but he said it was a difficult job and took a few hours.
No, I don't remember. He told what can be reused, but unfortunately I forgot. I can ask him again. He should come around in the following 2-3 weeks to check my "normal" C278, which has to come tomorrow. If I get some info, I'll let you know.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Jeeez ! That would maybe explain why mine is forgetting everything despite me changing the battery. I installed a new Renata Batterie CR2477N Lithium 3V to no avail....
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Luminous View Post
Jeeez ! That would maybe explain why mine is forgetting everything despite me changing the battery. I installed a new Renata Batterie CR2477N Lithium 3V to no avail....
I went through the same problems, and the battery company didn't even bother to rename the battery number either.
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

I'll take a look and see if I can jerry-rig something quick instead of dismantling the whole thing... Last time I thought that memory part of the machine was broken somehow and didn't bother to look further into it... So the negative side should be on the back of the battery (larger base) if I understand right...
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Luminous View Post
I'll take a look and see if I can jerry-rig something quick instead of dismantling the whole thing... Last time I thought that memory part of the machine was broken somehow and didn't bother to look further into it... So the negative side should be on the back of the battery (larger base) if I understand right...
I think that's correct, yes. God knows why they changed it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search