The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finally nailed my tube mic preamp design! Condenser Microphones
Old 17th February 2017
Finally nailed my tube mic preamp design!

Okay guys, I'm euphoric! I have been tweaking and adjusting like crazy on my DIY two-channel tube preamp. Finally landed on the prefect RC network to make it sing!

My goal was to build a tube pre that would match my Sumi dreadnought guitar and pair of KM84s. Something that I can carry into any studio and it will sound like me.

So, here it is. My guitar, mics, and preamp. No compression, EQ, or reverb. Just the basics. I'm flying high!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Sounds very nice on my iPad speaker LOL!
I have a pair of KM84's too, and agree that they are great on acoustic gat.

Did you base your preamp design of any other well known design? Are you going to make more of them?
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Sounds great!
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDan View Post
Okay guys, I'm euphoric! I have been tweaking and adjusting like crazy on my DIY two-channel tube preamp. Finally landed on the prefect RC network to make it sing!

My goal was to build a tube pre that would match my Sumi dreadnought guitar and pair of KM84s. Something that I can carry into any studio and it will sound like me.

So, here it is. My guitar, mics, and preamp. No compression, EQ, or reverb. Just the basics. I'm flying high!

So when can i order one?

I like that you used the Jensens, did you use them on the outputs as well? I couldnt see in the video.
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDan View Post

very nice playing !! .. and i bet you sound good on any mic or preamp too !!! beautiful build !!
Old 17th February 2017
The fundamental design is based on Scott Hampton's Tape Op article from many years ago. However, there ended up being many design changes along the way in order to suit what I was after. No plans to go commercial with this, but I would recommend checking out Scott's Hamptone tube preamp.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search