The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old or new massive passive?
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Nut
Old or new massive passive?

Does anyone out there have any input on which vintage of massive Passive sound coolest or are they all the same? When do they need refurbs? How long does a set of tubes last?
Old 18th February 2017
Here for the gear

Hi
I have a 2001 silver face and a 2014 purple, and for me, they sound the same.
A great eq.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Either or.. Purple abuser here and it sounds great !
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Addict

I wouldn't say a MP sounds cool. That is one expensive MONO EQ. One hell of a carving tool. I owned one at one point. THer are some nice strips out there for similar prices.
Old 20th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs View Post
Does anyone out there have any input on which vintage of massive Passive sound coolest or are they all the same? When do they need refurbs? How long does a set of tubes last?
Have both at my studio. Prefer the new scheme to look at, depending on tubes (how old) and components (how old) may sound different but if well maintained doubt anyone could tell. So a new one could sound worse with valves that need replacing than a old one with new valves visa versa etc.

Hard to predict the lifespan of valves I had a set that didn't last long and another set that have lasted years, that's also true of my guitar amps and Thermionic gear. Guess it's the nature of the beast. Build quality is top notch issues more often than not the valves, but if gear not properly ventilated/looked after etc can age it too.

Prefer the purple look TBH

Mastering has better filter choices for mix/master standard better for tracking.

You can get a standard with mastering filters if you ask nicely.

The greatest EQ for very low mid range to high mid boosts but don't favour it for sub 150Hz or above 8.2Khz.

Stepped Frequency choices are just the best (follows some broadcast neve choices)

I have and use daily a Sontec, 2077, 8200 etc I would not be without the MP for that mid range ever ;-)

Manley are a great company solid and reliable with a proven track record of good support and QC I can not recommend them enough. I also use a Slam! and regularly have use of a varimu. It's all great.
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
Have both at my studio. Prefer the new scheme to look at, depending on tubes (how old) and components (how old) may sound different but if well maintained doubt anyone could tell. So a new one could sound worse with valves that need replacing than a old one with new valves visa versa etc.

Hard to predict the lifespan of valves I had a set that didn't last long and another set that have lasted years, that's also true of my guitar amps and Thermionic gear. Guess it's the nature of the beast. Build quality is top notch issues more often than not the valves, but if gear not properly ventilated/looked after etc can age it too.

Prefer the purple look TBH

Mastering has better filter choices for mix/master standard better for tracking.

You can get a standard with mastering filters if you ask nicely.

The greatest EQ for very low mid range to high mid boosts but don't favour it for sub 150Hz or above 8.2Khz.

Stepped Frequency choices are just the best (follows some broadcast neve choices)

I have and use daily a Sontec, 2077, 8200 etc I would not be without the MP for that mid range ever ;-)

Manley are a great company solid and reliable with a proven track record of good support and QC I can not recommend them enough. I also use a Slam! and regularly have use of a varimu. It's all great.
I also have a 8200 and a Slam mastering version as well as an early vari mu. I was thinking the rig would be set up with the 8200 working that great bass and the massive on the mids in the chain. I hear the massive feeding the slam in pro mode (unbalanced ) yields a more open sound by bypassing the trannies. Is this how you have your Slam rigged to the massive ? If I have two eq's working the mids and lows which eq is the best for highs. I don't really care for the highs on the 8200. Kinda brittle. Maybe a retro ? Thanks for the feedback. Just grappling with these higher end boxes and learning their strengths and weaknesses. If you can suggest any other things like where the Slam likes to live in its gainstaging please let me know?

Last edited by seedubs; 20th February 2017 at 02:11 PM..
Old 27th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs View Post
I also have a 8200 and a Slam mastering version as well as an early vari mu. I was thinking the rig would be set up with the 8200 working that great bass and the massive on the mids in the chain. I hear the massive feeding the slam in pro mode (unbalanced ) yields a more open sound by bypassing the trannies. Is this how you have your Slam rigged to the massive ? If I have two eq's working the mids and lows which eq is the best for highs. I don't really care for the highs on the 8200. Kinda brittle. Maybe a retro ? Thanks for the feedback. Just grappling with these higher end boxes and learning their strengths and weaknesses. If you can suggest any other things like where the Slam likes to live in its gainstaging please let me know?
OK well I don't run the Massive unbalanced but perhaps should try?

My chain switches about at times as there is a Crockwood, where I can do any order etc but generally it goes like this...

Massive Passive mids

Sontec

Phoenix Mastering Plus (and or occasionally Al SMart C2 though not often)

2077 or GML for very highs

I often prefer GML but you need to send tones to it and look on a scope. The writing means nothing as does the LR gains ;-) Love sound of it on top end "brittle" ? I like it but we're all different ;-)

E.g. I find I like 18400 on GML Digital EQ send 18400 to real one make sure the scope is a straight line dead centre. (wish I had the mastering one!!) try a few things on 2077 see which one I prefer.

Sontec High shelf can be super but it's a bit low often I think its something odd like 10K

Very last SLAM! I do run that unbalanced mainly for FET limiter soft limit hence last.

I do use opto sometimes to smooth but often just prefer Phoenix.

A bit random but thing is with the Crockwood it's just so easy to swap around if the job needs it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search