The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amphion two15 users?? Studio Monitors
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Head

Amphion two15 users??

Any Amphion two15 users on here? Very little has been said about them as compared to the other models. Would love to hear actual user reviews.
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Maniac

I've been using them for a while now, I like them very much. I also have Quested V2108 (plus Avantone Mixcubes) and together they create a very lovely and reliable monitor system for me. I trust what I hear and it's easy to work on them. I wouldn't mind having lower bass extension on the two15, but it doesn't bother me that much when I can check the bass on Quested.

I used to be super interested in monitors and trying to find the best fit for me, but after I bought two15 (had Quested before) I stopped looking and thinking about it, I just enjoy working and concentrate on the music.

so I'd say that if you have a second monitor pair, the two15 are good tools. I wouldn't want to rely solely on them, but I guess that can be said for every monitor.
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Head

Thanks yagya, LF extension is my concern. I am guessing that is why the two18 appears more popular.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

I'm a Two15 guy. So is Dean Landon, Gentry Studer and a couple of other guys I know including one or two here on GS who will probably chime in on their own. I believe Warren Dent from Zen has a fondness for them as well - he actually got a set before I did, and told me to check them out immediately.

I love them to bits. Since I work with Amphion, I've had a chance to try every model in my room and the Two15s definitely suited me the best. I'm in 14 x 17 room, and I have zero problem with the bass extension. I frequently have folks who are in here looking for the sub.

dB
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

I'm still happy with mine. When I got them I was in a 14X16 room, and I didn't feel a need for a sub. I've since moved into a space thats over twice that size, so I'm planning to add some subs soon. Just trying to decide what to go with. That being said, even in this room they still work well in the sweetspot, but for client playback and tracking, I would like more headroom. For me they were the best balance of sound vs cost in the Amphion line, and I haven't found anything that I prefer.
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
so I'd say that if you have a second monitor pair, the two15 are good tools.
Hi Yagya,

Interesting. I'm currently demoing One18 and really like them, but thinking about two15 as well.

- Do you still think two15s can be used as a "main" monitor system? Or would you prefer Quested 2108 as "main" monitors?

- what is your usual distance to two15s? As far as I understand two15 can be used quite near. Quested 2108 as opposite wat I know is more near-mid-field thing.

- do you use Amp500 with two15?
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustboy View Post
Hi Yagya,

Interesting. I'm currently demoing One18 and really like them, but thinking about two15 as well.

- Do you still think two15s can be used as a "main" monitor system? Or would you prefer Quested 2108 as "main" monitors?

- what is your usual distance to two15s? As far as I understand two15 can be used quite near. Quested 2108 as opposite wat I know is more near-mid-field thing.

- do you use Amp500 with two15?
hey

uhmm... well, I mainly use Two15, so I guess it's fine to use it as a "main" monitor system. they aren't super big, and I would like to receive more lows from them. so YMMV and all that. V2108 are great also, but I placed them further back and they have less distance between them, so the stereo image is suffering a bit. I could definitely use v2018 as main. I might try that soon.

I think I have them placed about 1-1.5 meters from my listening position. I don't feel like they are small enough to place them too close, like beside my computer monitor.

yes, I use Amp500. I haven't tried anything else. :P

I dream of getting two18 and the subs for them instead of two15. but it's expensive to switch :/
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
they aren't super big, and I would like to receive more lows from them. so YMMV and all that.
I dream of getting two18 and the subs for them instead of two15. but it's expensive to switch :/
My idea was to go to two15, mostly because of more lows.
I absolutely love the deep stage of One18... Hm...maybe I should stay with One18 for now and extend it later... after I rob a bank

Thanks for your insights!
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

My friend says "The smaller the speakers, the bigger the mix". The 18s do sound more luxurious but I actually found the 15s were a better tool. Their limitations in terms of headroom, extension and soundstage actually helped me to get mixes that sounded bigger and translated better. Of course it is all room dependent etc.
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Maniac
I have the Two15's. I love them. I will agree, however, it can be challenging having them as your only and main monitors. For me they are. I do find myself sometimes wishing for even more lows. It has it, but for tracking and producing, it's just that i'd like more (particularly since I focus on bass heavy hip hop type music). Other than that, it's not much negative to say about them. They sound amazing and are accurate (translates well).
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustboy View Post
My idea was to go to two15, mostly because of more lows.
I absolutely love the deep stage of One18... Hm...maybe I should stay with One18 for now and extend it later... after I rob a bank

Thanks for your insights!
Wouldn’t the two15s go deeper. What a confusing line of speakers lol
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Just came across this post. The Two15's are pretty special. I'm fortunate, cause I get to play with the Two15's and the Two18 w/Base. 95% of the time, I use the 15's to compose and when I get the bottom end to sound just right, the mix sounds incredible on the 18's/Base. You certainly won't be disappointed with the Two15.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyo View Post
I have the Two15's. I love them. I will agree, however, it can be challenging having them as your only and main monitors. For me they are. I do find myself sometimes wishing for even more lows. It has it, but for tracking and producing, it's just that i'd like more (particularly since I focus on bass heavy hip hop type music). Other than that, it's not much negative to say about them. They sound amazing and are accurate (translates well).
Why didn’t you go for the 18s... I’m hearing so much bass here on the one18s I’m still confused by people’s posts... could it be the bryston giving it more bass?
Old 18th November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Landon View Post
I use the *Two*15's to compose and when I get the bottom end to sound just right, the mix sounds incredible on the
18's/Base. You certainly won't be disappointed with the Two15.
Thanks Dean.

So, actually you're thinking for composing/producing Two15 will be absolutely fine?

Currently I'm having One15... I'm still very satisfied with these boxes. So accurate and the bass is actually there as well. Actually I'm wondering again and again how much bass these little babies deliver :-)
Initially I compared One15 and One18 and decided to go for One15. Mostly because I liked this forward and kind of compact sound. The only one thing is that sometimes I'm struggling to get kick/bass balance right on One15.

For me the magic line to get the bottom right is around 40hz. Both One18 as well Two15 just a little bit above it. So I'm wondering how it works for you.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

You won't have any issue's with the bottom end on the Two15's. There's plenty of bass to satisfy anyone, and unless you absolutely need below 40Hz, then the BaseOne come into play, other-wise you'll be fine with the Two15's. You won't be struggling with the bass/kick. Don't know where you live, but I suggest testing a pair in your studio.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You won't have any issue's with the bottom end on the Two15's. There's plenty of bass to satisfy anyone, and unless you absolutely need below 40Hz, then the BaseOne come into play, other-wise you'll be fine with the Two15's. You won't be struggling with the bass/kick.
Agreed.

I ended up with them because I sit pretty close (40"-42"). I actually prefer the more forward tighter upper mids of the One15 to the One18 in general, but wanted more physical presence in the low end in my room. Not boom...more like weight, if that makes sense.

dB
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Agreed.

I ended up with them because I sit pretty close (40"-42"). I actually prefer the more forward tighter upper mids of the One15 to the One18 in general, but wanted more physical presence in the low end in my room. Not boom...more like weight, if that makes sense.

dB
did you get that tightness in the uppermids with the two15s that you heard on the Ones15, or did that come at a sacrifice of a little less punch as some have been reporting
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
did you get that tightness in the uppermids with the two15s that you heard on the Ones15, or did that come at a sacrifice of a little less punch as some have been reporting
If that happened, I didn't notice it. What I can tell you is that the Two15 presented more of what I was looking for as far as overall picture.

That being said, I have the One15s up at the moment (with the Amp500 - hey, that's what's here) and am quite enjoying working with them. I overcompensated a touch on the first mix I did on them - the bass was a bit too boomy (not terribly surprising), but that was the only area I had to go back and tweak. Both the mixes I've done since have been translating really nicely.

dB
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If that happened, I didn't notice it. What I can tell you is that the Two15 presented more of what I was looking for as far as overall picture.

That being said, I have the One15s up at the moment (with the Amp500 - hey, that's what's here) and am quite enjoying working with them. I overcompensated a touch on the first mix I did on them - the bass was a bit too boomy (not terribly surprising), but that was the only area I had to go back and tweak. Both the mixes I've done since have been translating really nicely.

dB
Yeah we have the Two18 and the one18 at the studio... both amazing speakers because they force you to mix in a way thats guaranteed translation. Im a believer but i gotta hear that two15. The two18 has a lot of bass maybe too much for the room, gonna put them up for sale just to try the Two15, but not in a hurry... could be in the current situation for years lol
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

How big is the room? Is it acoustically built? Try the Two15, but I wouldn't sell the Two18.

You've come this far in your quest for perfection. I would try the BaseOne with those Two18. Mind-blowing!!
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
15x12 and 11 height. For me, no need for me with a sub in this room theres more than enough and I'm listening to trap right now. Im good lol. Im even good with the One18. Wanna check out the Two15 and then I'm done. Might end up rockin with the TWo15 or One18... when I checked my bass on the Two18 my decisions made on the One18 were spot on, but thats because Im poor and have always been used to ****ty monitors that put out poor bass lol. For those curious about my thoughts on the Two18... the separation missing in the relaxed upper mid range of the One18 is back in the Two18... two18 is admittedly the better speaker pound for pound, and its 3k more. We can keep it, but I actually like where the bass is hitting on the One18, and I like the less headroom, because ill know whether I've gone too far or not
My room is 15 x 14, but acoustically treated all the way around. It makes all the difference. Go to my site, you'll see the room set up. Maybe there's a lot of bass build up in the back of your room, but the Two18's are not bottom heavy. Again, measure the frequencies in your room. Make sure there's no bass build up.

Every Amphion monitor is a different animal. I'll play my mix relatively low on the Two15. If I hear any discrepancies, I'll switch over to the Two18/Base25 and compare and adjust.

You can't go wrong with either the Two15 or 18, but for the ultimate experience, the Two18 and Base25 full-range combo is like putting on a pair of 3-D glasses!

To reiterate, I would get a pair of Two15 in your studio and compare, take notes, all that jazz.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My room is 15 x 14, but acoustically treated all the way around. It makes all the difference. Go to my site, you'll see the room set up. Maybe there's a lot of bass build up in the back of your room, but the Two18's are not bottom heavy. Again, measure the frequencies in your room. Make sure there's no bass build up.

Every Amphion monitor is a different animal. I'll play my mix relatively low on the Two15. If I hear any discrepancies, I'll switch over to the Two18/Base25 and compare and adjust.

You can't go wrong with either the Two15 or 18, but for the ultimate experience, the Two18 and Base25 full-range combo is like putting on a pair of 3-D glasses!

To reiterate, I would get a pair of Two15 in your studio and compare, take notes, all that jazz.
I wouldn't call it Bass crazy. It's just enough for me, I don't like hearing over the top bass when I produce it can be distracting in general... don't hear a lot of build up in the corners with the amphion, but my room isn't all the way treated. I have this one 808 i use, and I've been in a lot of million dollar studios, its representing the same way it does in those studios on the amphion TWO18.... it never did on regular active 8inch speakers, so to me the bass on the TWO18 is crazy good, more than enough for me. What did you think of the TWO15 vs TWO18? without the BASEONE25
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wouldn't call it Bass crazy. It's just enough for me, I don't like hearing over the top bass when I produce it can be distracting in general... don't hear a lot of build up in the corners with the amphion, but my room isn't all the way treated. I have this one 808 i use, and I've been in a lot of million dollar studios, its representing the same way it does in those studios on the amphion TWO18.... it never did on regular active 8inch speakers, so to me the bass on the TWO18 is crazy good, more than enough for me. What did you think of the TWO15 vs TWO18? without the BASEONE25
I don't use the Two15 with the Base, only the 18's. I have a setup that works for me. I usually start on the 15's and end up on the 18/Base by the end of the day. I can bypass the Base using a sustain-pedal.

The 15 has a slight low-mid bump. The 18 is flatter in the low mids and some folks prefer that. The 15/18 are different. Adding the Base takes it to a whole other level.

Who's your Amphion dealer in NYC? I'm sure they can loan you a pair of Two15 for a couple days.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't use the Two15 with the Base, only the 18's. I have a setup that works for me. I usually start on the 15's and end up on the 18/Base by the end of the day. I can bypass the Base using a sustain-pedal.

The 15 has a slight low-mid bump. The 18 is flatter in the low mids and some folks prefer that. The 15/18 are different. Adding the Base takes it to a whole other level.

Who's your Amphion dealer in NYC? I'm sure they can loan you a pair of Two15 for a couple days.
Can you go into more detail of the attributes of the 15 vs 18(with base bypassed) in the regular miss and highs, soundstage etc. Yeah i might have to make some calls
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Lets just take the Base out of the equation for now. Go to the Amphion website and look at the measurements for both the Two15 and 18. You'll see exactly what's being presented. The soundstage on the 18 is wider/deeper than the 15. There's slightly more hi mids in the 18 than 15, due to the 15's low mid bump, but not by much.

You can ask anyone's opinion, but having them in front of you will answer your questions better than anyone on GS for a variety of reasons. Again, I can't repeat enough the importance of a well treated room. If there's 'any' discrepancy, you're not getting an accurate display of your monitors.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Head

it is interesting to see, that quite many people are happy with two15 for composing/producing.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

The thing I’m loving most about the two18 is That it’s a chameleon. You hear a song and your like it has too much low mid, then you hear another song and you’re like no low mids. The speaker just tells the truth about everything while leaving it’s sonic signature out of the equation. I learned that this week. I don’t think I can live without it’s low end and it’s highmid detail. When I worked with the genelec 1031 all my songs sounded tubby and vague in the stereo imaging, yeah it’s an older speaker. I was afraid my mixes would lack high end with the two18, I fact it’s been the opposite. My songs can be bright or dark if I want them to, but I keep choosing for them to be a little bright because the high end is so fun on the 18 series if that makes any sense. What I love listening to on the 18 series is electronic music, all those reverb throws and Foley’s just sound so specific and tantalizing. This might not make sense to anyone but I’ve sold my ns10... I simply don’t need it. Anytime I went to it, there was nothing I could change... like before. It’s cool that everyone’s ears are either for the 15 series and 18 series... makes sense. I’ve never heard a monitor line where the lower series are just as good.

Also Im literally obsessed with center. I use a JBL 4328 for years and it has no center, so I always craved it. The amphions have this thing where it feels like there’s a third speaker in the center, it’s like my dream came true. I do parallel vocal compression and to hear my setting movements at -15db on a send whole the main vocal is super loud is incredible.
Old 17th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Agreed.

dB
it makes perfectly sense for me. I had KS Digital D-80 here for a week (actually quite nice monitors for the price). And the kick - without being boomy or actually having more low end - had just more weight on these and sounded more natural. I love One15 and it's sound, but I think I'm just missing that larger woofer surface. I will try to manage to get two15 for a test in the next couple of weeks.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Addict

Reading this with interest as I'm also on the Two15 and wondering if I need to move up to the Two18. Except it seems they don't have the same character. I can confirm this having tried the One18 and owned the One15.

Pretty much the same experience for me after about a year or so with the Two15. They're the only monitors I've ever really liked. But like some other users here I do find myself wishing for more low end sometimes. When tracking and listening to playback for clients, I feel like another pair of 'power' monitors is a must. I have some Yamaha HS8 for that at the moment.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

With all speakers of limited size, at some point you're going to need either a larger speaker - or a subwoofer. These days with active speakers it's possible to get deep lows out of small boxes - but even those will have SPL limits (and several compression settings to maybe hide that little fact). The nice thing about a subwoofer is that since below the Schroeder frequency of the room, it is the room itself that becomes the dominant factor in terms of perceived sound quality, we can place the subwoofer where it behaves best according to our relative listening position (and if you really want to do it right, you will tweak the response a bit with a DSP processor).. Anyhow, once you have it well calibrated - you can also simply turn it off if you feel to need to check your work on a system that's bass limited.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search