The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amphion two15 users?? Studio Monitors
Old 9th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagya View Post
I've been using them for a while now, I like them very much. I also have Quested V2108 (plus Avantone Mixcubes) and together they create a very lovely and reliable monitor system for me. I trust what I hear and it's easy to work on them. I wouldn't mind having lower bass extension on the two15, but it doesn't bother me that much when I can check the bass on Quested.

I used to be super interested in monitors and trying to find the best fit for me, but after I bought two15 (had Quested before) I stopped looking and thinking about it, I just enjoy working and concentrate on the music.

so I'd say that if you have a second monitor pair, the two15 are good tools. I wouldn't want to rely solely on them, but I guess that can be said for every monitor.
Hi,
would you mind comparing Two15 (or Two18) vs Quested v2108?

I'm in the market for a new pair of monitor (currently using Focal Twin +sub). After months of research I'm 90% confident with Quested v2108. I almost made the purchase, but then recently Amphion finally had their local distributor in place where I live now. They have these promotions everywhere & It gets my attention (plus hundreds of GS page threads really make me wondering what's the fuzz all about?)

We don't have Quested local distributor here. So I can't demo v2108 before buying them. I have to order directly from UK and they'll ship it here where I live now. So there is no way I can compare those 2 side by side.

Would you mind comparing pro & con between those 2 monitors? I'm a movie composer by the way. So mostly I'm gonna be using this monitor for composing & premix the MIDI mock up. We don't do many tracking here, we record all the live instruments somewhere else before doing the final editing & mixing back to this same workstation
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickindies View Post
Hi,
would you mind comparing Two15 (or Two18) vs Quested v2108?

I'm in the market for a new pair of monitor (currently using Focal Twin +sub). After months of research I'm 90% confident with Quested v2108. I almost made the purchase, but then recently Amphion finally had their local distributor in place where I live now. They have these promotions everywhere & It gets my attention (plus hundreds of GS page threads really make me wondering what's the fuzz all about?)

We don't have Quested local distributor here. So I can't demo v2108 before buying them. I have to order directly from UK and they'll ship it here where I live now. So there is no way I can compare those 2 side by side.

Would you mind comparing pro & con between those 2 monitors? I'm a movie composer by the way. So mostly I'm gonna be using this monitor for composing & premix the MIDI mock up. We don't do many tracking here, we record all the live instruments somewhere else before doing the final editing & mixing back to this same workstation
Quested V2108 are slightly more exaggerated when the mids are not mixed well and I find it easier to judge the balance when working on them. They aren't about super precision, transparency or perfect phase/stereo image, but they are powerful and have a lovely low end. if the mix is too dark you can easily hear it.

Two15 are very natural and the stuff I do on them seems to translate rather well. they have a low mid bump people have talked about and they don't let you heard the deep bass, which is a shame. the highs are super lovely. they are not as powerful as V2108

I want to sell Two15 now and get Two18 instead (probably, or dutch & dutch 8c if I had the money) but I will probably never sell the quested. there is just something magical about them. they aren't super precise, which means I personally would want something clinical to A/B against.

Although I wouldn't mind getting the V3110, as I've read they are super good, but I've never heard them. and they are probably too big for my room
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quested V2108 are slightly more exaggerated when the mids are not mixed well and I find it easier to judge the balance when working on them. They aren't about super precision, transparency or perfect phase/stereo image, but they are powerful and have a lovely low end. if the mix is too dark you can easily hear it.

Two15 are very natural and the stuff I do on them seems to translate rather well. they have a low mid bump people have talked about and they don't let you heard the deep bass, which is a shame. the highs are super lovely. they are not as powerful as V2108

I want to sell Two15 now and get Two18 instead (probably, or dutch & dutch 8c if I had the money) but I will probably never sell the quested. there is just something magical about them. they aren't super precise, which means I personally would want something clinical to A/B against.

Although I wouldn't mind getting the V3110, as I've read they are super good, but I've never heard them. and they are probably too big for my room
Do a 'one up/one down' and get the V3110 and one15's. I bet that would make a sweeeeeeeet combo. One day, when I have a room and wallet that can take big Questeds I will find out.

Also, the little one15 and the big V3110 are much more likely to be happily placed in the same environment as they won't get in each other's way as much as your current combo. Something pretty important to me at least. Speakers all on top of each other's ideal sweet spot placements and/or playing diffraction tennis isn't joy.
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Do a 'one up/one down' and get the V3110 and one15's. I bet that would make a sweeeeeeeet combo. One day, when I have a room and wallet that can take big Questeds I will find out.

Also, the little one15 and the big V3110 are much more likely to be happily placed in the same environment as they won't get in each other's way as much as your current combo. Something pretty important to me at least. Speakers all on top of each other's ideal sweet spot placements and/or playing diffraction tennis isn't joy.
yes! that would probably be amazing absolutely

it's a bit of a problem to have two similarly sized monitors, hard to place them both at a good position.

my only problem with all of this is money and how hard it is to sell stuff (at least in iceland) :P
Old 9th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

From what you explain seems that Quested are better for composing work. Not that precisions, perfect phase or transparency are not important, but as composer I think it's very important to get the 'vibe' & get inspired by the sound your instrument (vst or live instrument) produce. Many people have said that it's really nice to work with v2108 because it's sounds like they're not working with speaker. (Guess I have to experience that myself to really know what people are talking about).

But on the other hand I have my other monitor which is Focal twin that are neither super precise nor super transparent. It makes my decisions harder, should I go with more precise & transparent speaker or a really good easy to work with & sounds good speaker?
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickindies View Post
From what you explain seems that Quested are better for composing work. Not that precisions, perfect phase or transparency are not important, but as composer I think it's very important to get the 'vibe' & get inspired by the sound your instrument (vst or live instrument) produce. Many people have said that it's really nice to work with v2108 because it's sounds like they're not working with speaker. (Guess I have to experience that myself to really know what people are talking about).

But on the other hand I have my other monitor which is Focal twin that are neither super precise nor super transparent. It makes my decisions harder, should I go with more precise & transparent speaker or a really good easy to work with & sounds good speaker?
well, hard to say really, which one is better. they are both super good in their own way and Amphion as lots of "vibe". I would not say that working with v2108 is like not working with speaker, I can definitely hear their character/voicing. but it's a nice character

I have personally composed/produced more on the Amphion rather than V2108, simply because I set them up like that in my room. Two15 are very gentle and even if unfinished projects sound obviously unmixed it's never boring (unlike the PSI A21! their brutal honesty is nasty :P). same can be said about the V2108, I'm sure.

right now I'm changing my setup to make v2108 my "A" speakers and use Two15 as "B" speaker/reference. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

i don't know what I'm saying... maybe both speakers are better?
Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, hard to say really, which one is better. they are both super good in their own way and Amphion as lots of "vibe". I would not say that working with v2108 is like not working with speaker, I can definitely hear their character/voicing. but it's a nice character

I have personally composed/produced more on the Amphion rather than V2108, simply because I set them up like that in my room. Two15 are very gentle and even if unfinished projects sound obviously unmixed it's never boring (unlike the PSI A21! their brutal honesty is nasty :P). same can be said about the V2108, I'm sure.

right now I'm changing my setup to make v2108 my "A" speakers and use Two15 as "B" speaker/reference. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

i don't know what I'm saying... maybe both speakers are better?
See if you can also demo the new JBL 708, I much preferred them to the two18s. The two18s are really good though. The jbl separates the sub region, 70, 100, 200hz more than any speaker I’ve ever worked on. It’s almost impossible to get your low end wrong on them, and then you can use the one15, or ns10s.
Old 31st May 2018
Gear Head

Finally I've got two15 for a test in my room.

I like them a lot, actually. Probably it's not a speaker with the main purpose to impress: the sound is quite compact or small (if you express this negatively ).
The character of sound is actually very similar to one15 - forward, compact and fast. However with more weight and I believe with better soundstage and instruments separation. It is kind of One15 deluxe edition

Regarding lows I think I found everything I missed with One15. I had no problems to choose and mix kick and bass. However, I would agree with @ Yagya , you will need another main system or sub for the final lows check or cleanup. I have here two SVS sealed subs, these seem to work good with two15. However for normal work, I believe it is a clear advantage to work without sub, to have this compact sound, the whole mix right before you.
Old 17th June 2018
Here for the gear

Just want to update, I finally go with Amphion Two15.

It's one of the best speaker that I've work with. Amazing sound stage, depth & transparency. It is not the type of speaker that's going to impress you at the first listen. But once you start to work on it, it's a very different experience working on them. Very easy to work on the details, non fatigue at all & Most importantly it translate so well on other systems.

High end is beautiful, mid is very clear & low is enough for my room (I have a sub but rarely use it on daily basis when composing & mixing, only when finalizing the low end that I turn the sub on). We finished composing & mixing one feature movie already with these bad boys and I'm very satisfied with the result

My local dealer let demo two15 & two18 at the same time. Two15 works better for my room compared to two18. It feels more like nearfield & more intimate (focus) to work with while two18 have better bass & bigger sound stage but it's little but too "wide" & unfocus to work for long hours I feel.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search