The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Daking console. Has anyone done real work on one yet?
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

New Daking console. Has anyone done real work on one yet?

Anyone?

G
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Hello

Yes I own and operate a new Mark 2 Daking Console.

16 Input
8 buss
8 AUX Line input faders w bussing and aux sends for a total of 24 faders at mix
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
Hello

Yes I own and operate a new Mark 2 Daking Console.

16 Input
8 buss
8 AUX Line input faders w bussing and aux sends for a total of 24 faders at mix
And?...
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

And...?

It's a very functional and sonically pleasing console.Very clean and clear but never sterile or clinical.It's very linear top to bottom and does not slow down or flatten transients.Very punchy.I would not say it reminds me of any genre of console....It' seems to have a very "Natural"high quality sound for lack of a better word.You hear everything including the mistakes or the not so good re-issue made in china guitar amp your friend brings over.The knobs on the EQ frequencies are stepped and cover a wide A range of tone... cough.....They do alot without sounding like you did anything.

For my needs(more tracking and over dubbing than mixing) it's great.
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
And...?

It's a very functional and sonically pleasing console.Very clean and clear but never sterile or clinical.It's very linear top to bottom and does not slow down or flatten transients.Very punchy.I would not say it reminds me of any genre of console....It' seems to have a very "Natural"high quality sound for lack of a better word.You hear everything including the mistakes or the not so good re-issue made in china guitar amp your friend brings over.The knobs on the EQ frequencies are stepped and cover a wide A range of tone... cough.....They do alot without sounding like you did anything.

nice.
thanks for the mini review.
sounds like what my old 52270 Vertical modules sound like.clean but never sterile.
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And...?

Thank you for taking the time. A few more specific questions if you have the time. First yous last statement pretty much leads to my second question which is the usefulness of the compressors included on the channel strips? I know they are a vca based comp, I know they will not sound like my FET III and as you have stated that do not do a lot of mixing may make this harder to answer?

Finally, I see from your profile pic that you may well be using tape any tracking to digital?

Thanks again.
G
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

I have limited experience with the FET 3 but I did try it on the St mix buss and I liked it but it was just one song...Normally I use a RED 3.

If the channel strip compressors were your only compressor(for individual sources or buss duties) you would be fine for 99% of the time...unless you had to use something like a Retro 176 or your favorite instant smash box that you know you and love and just have to have(for me sometimes It's the 160 VU)

When I first got the console , I deliberately chose to not use any of my normal signal chains or outboard gear prior...Distressors...vandergragh...1176 reissue...DBX 160VU...Summit TLA...etc ..Just force myself to learn how things on it work and for a very long time I did not use any other gear...I just did't need to.BUT.Very slowly Ive been bring other stuff to break it up a bit

I'm very surprised by how versatile the console comps are.Engaging the attack n release buttons has the most neutrality ..like you don't know its working but it is...sort of LA-2A in the way it grabs quickly but smoothly...If you disengage those buttons then the attack is slower and the release is very fast which punches up kick.n snares...If you press the comp/lim button and hit it really hard you can get into distressor "NUKE' territory or very aggressive SSL crush style compression.I have 2 E Series strips so I'm familiar with the sound.

I haven't recorded to tape in a while but only very recently I got the bug and I busted out my 2 track to mix something....which only made me romance the idea of getting the multitrack machine up and running and on the patch bay
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
Thank you for taking the time. A few more specific questions if you have the time. First yous last statement pretty much leads to my second question which is the usefulness of the compressors included on the channel strips? I know they are a vca based comp, I know they will not sound like my FET III and as you have stated that do not do a lot of mixing may make this harder to answer?

Finally, I see from your profile pic that you may well be using tape any tracking to digital?

Thanks again.
G
I'll try and keep the tech to a minimum here so please bare with me.

You couldn't practically have a fet type comp on every channel. Just not really possible. However the signal path in the Daking mk2 is class a. Here is the little rub. Most vca's have a regular opamp at the back end as a current amplifier. This keeps most vca comps running class b. Geoff and Dave t are using a vca without any opamp at the end. Now they can use a custom single ended class amp for the current gain at the back end. It's really amazing how doing this makes the comp sound sooo much better. Really big and smooth. I hope you give Geoff a call and check this desk out! There is really nothing else like it on the market!
Cheers.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Can you expand the desk to 32ch?

What's the ballpark cost of a 16ch console?
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry I have not had the time to properly keep up with this thread. Sadly my mother who suffers from what now is considered severe Osteoporosis has had 2 compression fractures to vertebrae and 2 surgeries in the last week. Which really sucks. I am now down in Florida trying to get this deal under control and I suspect I'll be here for a few weeks anyway.

As far as the console goes I'm pretty much sold on the fact that I'll love it and will be buying one asap. I'll call Brad and Geoff when I get home and try to arrange a proper demo. The thing is I've been sooo close to popping for some other consoles over the last 5 years I think I can hold out a bit longer. This will also ensure that My new house and private studio will be well finished by the time it is delivered.

@ Skip, Yes I was well aware of the design of the compressors on the strips thanks.
@ carlheinz thank you again for taking the time.

Looking forward to going "green" in 17 as a loaded up mothership is in the budget as well.

G
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
Can you expand the desk to 32ch?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
What's the ballpark cost of a 16ch console?
65k $.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search