The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Air band for 2 buss
Old 15th February 2017
Air band for 2 buss

Hi I need some help in choosing an eq for air band. I have 1 maag eq4 and wanted to know which has a nicer air band for 2 buss. Maag eq4 or the purple lilpeqr. I can just add one more maag or just buy 2 lilpeqr m with stepped pots.
Anyone try both on mix buss for air? I know maags air band is 40k and purple is 27k.
Btw This is gonna compliment my massive passive (massive not so great at adding the air I desire)
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Hi I need some help in choosing an eq for air band. I have 1 maag eq4 and wanted to know which has a nicer air band for 2 buss. Maag eq4 or the purple lilpeqr. I can just add one more maag or just buy 2 lilpeqr m with stepped pots.
Anyone try both on mix buss for air? I know maags air band is 40k and purple is 27k.
Btw This is gonna compliment my massive passive (massive not so great at adding the air I desire)
i'll put also the Avedis E27 in the game.. Imho is stellar for that magic sparkle up top..

Or a pair of tube pulse techniques.. Although not really "air band" they do sound very smooth. Stereo version don't come cheap though.

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 15th February 2017 at 01:37 PM..
Old 15th February 2017
Tnx for the reply cheu, but for the smooth top end I got the massive p, Im just looking for that magic sparkle up top to just open up the top in the high 27+k. Maag with its 40k or the purple lilpeqr with its 27k. Have you tried the lilpeqr? The 27k on the mp is just to much of a cut boost curve for me. The 12k on the mp is butter but on some stuff I still need that air band. I use the fabfilter for that air but it hasn't satisfied and has me craving that hw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
i'll put also the Avedis E27 in the game.. Imho is stellar for that magic sparkle up top..

Or a pair of tube pulse techniques.. Although not really "air band" they do sound very smooth. Stereo version don't come cheap though.

Cheu
Old 1st March 2017
I went the slutty route and purchased a second maag eq4 and a pair of lilpeqr-mastering been too busy to try them out though, hopefully by the weekend
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Give Hendy-Amps Michelangelo a try.

Air like Michael Jordan bruh.

Old 1st March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I went the slutty route and purchased a second maag eq4 and a pair of lilpeqr-mastering been too busy to try them out though, hopefully by the weekend
I'll be interested to hear what you think of each.
Old 1st March 2017
+1 for Hendyamps Michelangelo. Love mine, Air band is especially good on it. Try it in parallel too.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear
Took the words right outta my mouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
Give Hendy-Amps Michelangelo a try.

Air like Michael Jordan bruh.

Old 2nd March 2017
AB3
Lives for gear

When going for broad strokes on the high end - the A Designs Hammer deserves a mention.

Maybe I should not sell my tonelux equalux - the high end on it is sweet.

As far as the Hendyamps Michelangelo goes, I wish I never heard of it (and my wife really wishes I never heard of it). It looks great.
Old 2nd March 2017
Well the purple lilpeqr-M is what I've been aching for! I'm done searching for my air eq! So sweet and the low end is awesome and tight! The maags are great for the 40k as well! I'm done for 2 buss eqs! Massive p for mids purple for sweet top end and maags for sparkle when needed!
Attached Thumbnails
Air band for 2 buss-img_1603.jpg  
Old 5th March 2017
Gear Nut

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Kush Clariphonic.
Very nice indeed
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Hendyamps Michelangelo. I also use and like the A-Designs Hammer, but for lower (high) frequency boosts
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Addict

Loving my Michelangelo for that. The most recent version also has an air shift mode, so you have a bit more control over where the curve starts.

Different sound compared to the NTI/Maag air thing for sure, but pretty addictive. More textured and less boost range.

The box tone and aggression knob give a great enhancing tone for the mixbus too.
Not sure how it would pair with a Massive.

Haven't used those Purples but have heard samples and they sounded very nice too.

Sounds like you're pretty well covered with the Maag, Purple, and MP handling bus shaping. Enjoy!
Old 6th March 2017
Been hearing lots of great things abt the Michelangelo! But I'm well covered w the purples! The purples sound great overdriven! They have nice saturation when pushed hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Loving my Michelangelo for that. The most recent version also has an air shift mode, so you have a bit more control over where the curve starts.

Different sound compared to the NTI/Maag air thing for sure, but pretty addictive. More textured and less boost range.

The box tone and aggression knob give a great enhancing tone for the mixbus too.
Not sure how it would pair with a Massive.

Haven't used those Purples but have heard samples and they sounded very nice too.

Sounds like you're pretty well covered with the Maag, Purple, and MP handling bus shaping. Enjoy!
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Nut

I own a maag eq4m and used to have a michaelangelo. If things were different at the time I would still have the michaelangelo but I was getting a lot of electronic mixing and mastering work and it was just too soft on the mix bus. Now I’m working on everything genre wise and wish I had it everyday! They are both are amazing and are just two different tools. As far as tube gear goes the michaelangelo is top notch and beautiful. It’s not too colored when conservative (but always leaves its mark) and being able to push into it with the aggression knob is genius. Very usable tube goo. Really easy to overdo though if that’s even possible. Very nice air band but stuck in the one position on my model.

The maag is just so versitile and bends things to your will with a minimal footprint. It’s my perfect balance between an over the top clean mastering eq and a pure tone shaper for me. Being able to reduce the 2.5 kHz shelf and boost up with the air band around 5-15khz depending on the material is priceless for taming the harshness region. The switchable air band really is something else.

The are both very sexy with their own unique and applicable “tricks”. We will always just want it all.

That’s cool to hear about the purples. I’ll have to check those out.
Old 30th May 2018
I know I’m a bit late to the party, but Clariphonic is my go-to for an air band
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

I love the michelangelo for this.... clariphonic is good too... i use it for guitar bus though
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

GML 8200 out of fashion these days?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search