The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replace VXT or add Sub to 8010 Studio Monitors
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Head
Replace VXT or add Sub to 8010

Hello all,

I am having a debate with myself and I'm always finding myself winning or losing them.

I have a pair of KRK VXT6 as main monitors for nearly 10 years. I feel it's time for an upgrade. My room is well treated, 16m^2.

I have a pair of Genelec 8010a for location recording which are also secondary monitors, and I love those. I've always loved the Genelec sound.

I could get a set of Genelec 8040 or 8050 but then, I'd just have two pairs of the Genelec sound.

Should I
- upgrade the VXT (budget 2000 euro) with 8010s as good secondaries
Or
- add a sub to the 8010a and use those as main monitors and sell the VXTs
Or
- get a set of 8040 or 8050 and perhaps get a sub down the line, and just keep the 8010 as recording monitors

I'm still at the initial stages of thinking about this so opinions are welcome. I'm wondering whether a 8010 and a sub versus a 8040 with a sub would sound all that different.

I do love the Genelec sound but I'm also a fan of monitor which aren't as forward sounding.

PS. If I got a sub which could take surround input, say the Genelec 7050, could I run two pairs of stereo monitors through them? Would a KRK working with a Genelec sub not work as well as using with KRK sub?

Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018
Here for the gear

What did you end up going with? I am in a similar predicament.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search