The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's got this redd mic and how are they feeling about it.
Old 30th July 2017
My Horch's aren't any noisier than any other modern tube mic, you just need to pair the right valve with the mic.
You want character but don't mind a bit of hiss get a telefunken tube. You want a really low noise floor then the Philips work very well.

I have the latest version though. On red mode it sounds like my favourite SM69 tube. It's not dark. It has a delicious bite from high quality German fangs.
Old 30th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Anyone had a chance to use the Manley Silver who has used the Redd mic? I'm looking at either the Redd mic, Manley Silver or a 251ish type for my next mic. I'm wanting definition without sibilance to compliment my Rm2J and VM-1. The Silver dips in the 5-6Khz range with an 11Khz bump and goes up to 30Khz..... it has me intrigued.
Hi Will,

FWIW, amog the most consistent comments regarding the REDD Microphone we get are, how detailed the mic is while not being sibilant / you don't need to de-ess, and from a noise standpoint...how quiet it is.

However, try one and let your ears decide if it works for you.
Old 30th July 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
My Horch's aren't any noisier than any other modern tube mic, you just need to pair the right valve with the mic.
You want character but don't mind a bit of hiss get a telefunken tube. You want a really low noise floor then the Philips work very well.

I have the latest version though. On red mode it sounds like my favourite SM69 tube. It's not dark. It has a delicious bite from high quality German fangs.
In red mode for sure, one of the best mics I've ever heard. I do find blue mode very hissy though, I never use it.
Old 30th July 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
Hi Will,

FWIW, amog the most consistent comments regarding the REDD Microphone we get are, how detailed the mic is while not being sibilant / you don't need to de-ess, and from a noise standpoint...how quiet it is.

However, try one and let your ears decide if it works for you.
I found this to be true, zero sibilant on 2 singers I tried it on dispute being very detailed and bright (yes bright) it was not sibilant. Shot it out vs VMS, VMS was much more sibilant in its brighter mic modes compared to Redd. Def low noise too, and it had less random ground loop issues than my other tube mics do, so that power supply is well designed/built.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Head

On its way

Just ordered one today. It has been a journey of research and discovery adding a 2nd $4k+ mic to the locker. We have had a Bottle with the usual B0,B6,and B7 caps since we opened 5 years ago. When it works it's great that said really looking forward to the REDD! Special thanks to Warren at ZenPro for is assistant with this. Started with an order for a well known clone over the weekend and decided to go the distance and get what I really wanted.
Old 28th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagecraft View Post
Just ordered one today. It has been a journey of research and discovery adding a 2nd $4k+ mic to the locker. We have had a Bottle with the usual B0,B6,and B7 caps since we opened 5 years ago. When it works it's great that said really looking forward to the REDD! Special thanks to Warren at ZenPro for is assistant with this. Started with an order for a well known clone over the weekend and decided to go the distance and get what I really wanted.
Great decision, such a versatile and exciting microphone.
Old 8th March 2018
Here for the gear

Is this a good choice for deeper voice guy doing strictly VO work. no singing.
Old 8th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispa1 View Post
Is this a good choice for deeper voice guy doing strictly VO work. no singing.
I'm a baritone using mine for voiceover with good results. I have mine on drive mode with low contour engaged and rarely have a need to eq my tracks other than a high pass at 80hz. It has a little bit more self noise than solid state mics but that really only shows up in the space between sentences and gets gated out anyway, so no problems. It's also slightly inconvenient to turn the mic off when you're not using it, compared to say a u87ai that you can just leave powered all the time, but when you hear your voice on it all of those inconveniences fade away.
Old 15th May 2018
I've read most of this entire thread, (skimmed some it while looking for sound files). Would sure love to hear examples of this mic in action from owners. I think I've heard everything that Google could offer me and I am duly impressed. The least impressive was the Sweetwater mic shootout examples. No mention of what setting(s) they were using. If anyone could post some links I'd be grateful.Thanks.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
I've read most of this entire thread, (skimmed some it while looking for sound files). Would sure love to hear examples of this mic in action from owners. I think I've heard everything that Google could offer me and I am duly impressed. The least impressive was the Sweetwater mic shootout examples. No mention of what setting(s) they were using. If anyone could post some links I'd be grateful.Thanks.
Did you check out the other thread: Chandler REDD microphone

I would start from the end and go backwards - if I recall there were more samples later in the thread.
Old 15th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Did you check out the other thread: Chandler REDD microphone

I would start from the end and go backwards - if I recall there were more samples later in the thread.
Thanks much. Doesn't say much for my search skills. Ha, just skimmed a couple of pages and saw several arguments. (On GS? Go figure!) I swear some peeps on GS can argue about anything. "Are you saying, the Atlantic Ocean is a better ocean than the Pacific?!" "No, have it your way, the Pacific is better!"
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
Thanks much. Doesn't say much for my search skills. Ha, just skimmed a couple of pages and saw several arguments. (On GS? Go figure!) I swear some peeps on GS can argue about anything. "Are you saying, the Atlantic Ocean is a better ocean than the Pacific?!" "No, have it your way, the Pacific is better!"
Vance Joy "I'm With You" recorded mixed by Ryan Hewitt.
gorgeous example of the Redd mic in action
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone compare a REDD mic to a U67 reissue? Thoughts?

Quote:
Great decision, such a versatile and exciting microphone.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Vance Joy "I'm With You" recorded mixed by Ryan Hewitt.
gorgeous example of the Redd mic in action
Sounds great.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Very difficult to compare. Personally I prefer the Chandler REDD but I love the U67 now I've put EF806s valves in it.
Both great, both different.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Totally different
One - Neumann mid range
The other - full range and open
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Totally different
One - Neumann mid range
The other - full range and open
Is the REDD mic more comparable to a U47 in that sense? Which applications do you prefer the REDD on vs a 67 style mic?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Compliment each other. Totally different mics. 67 is a "neumannesque" mid-range sounding mic & the Chandler is more of a "balanced-clean" sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
They are both multi purpose mics.
I used the Chandler’s for my “Greedy Beat” drum pack and it was so fat.
It has similarities to a warmer Sony C800G.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How does the REDD compare to the TG mic? I understand the TG doesn’t have a preamp, so a TG into a REDD preamp for example? Which would compliment my U67 best?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
How does the REDD compare to the TG mic? I understand the TG doesn’t have a preamp, so a TG into a REDD preamp for example? Which would compliment my U67 best?
I've owned both. They are very similar. REDD reaches just a touch further in both directions, but both in the same vein. Both have a wide variety of sonic options though and can sound very different in that regard.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
I've owned both... .
Did you sell one or both?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Did you sell one or both?
Sold the REDD... First time admitting it on here

Let me be clear. I love the REDD. It's an amazing mic. After getting the TG, I couldn't justify holding onto the REDD given the price difference. Others may argue — but it was close enough for me to let the REDD go and buy myself a new mod shop Fender Strat!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Let me be clear. I love the REDD. It's an amazing mic. After getting the TG, I couldn't justify holding onto the REDD given the price difference. Others may argue — but it was close enough for me to let the REDD go and buy myself a new mod shop Fender Strat!
Oh yer killin me! I read the whole thread and was hoping there was a less expensive option! HEH!

I have the Soundelux e47 original and a Lawson 47
and had the Soundelux 251, SOundlux u195 and my AKG 414 buls..
owned all those and shot them out about 15 years ago usually running into either the Vipre valve pre or DRS2 into a CL1b.
I sold the 251 and the 195 as I closed my studio.

Questions..what pres/comps and other mics did you use to make your comparisons?

Im curious if the TG mic or something like the VMS system would fill the need for me as it did you..
I still have the Phoenix drs2 going into HM2 Nail comp with the e47,L47 and 414 mics.
Thanks for any info!
Sorry to be so long winded!

Last edited by FOURTHTUNZ; 3 days ago at 08:22 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You're not the only person I've heard mention this. I was going to buy a nicer preamp and was considering selling my TG and using the extra money to just "upgrade" to the REDD. I ended up sticking with the TG and buying a more versatile preamp, I'm so glad I did! I'm sure the REDD is amazing and I still drool over it, but the TG is just SO freaking versatile. The handful of shootouts and comparisons I've found between the REDD and TG side by side supported that decision as well. There was a difference, but it wasn't big enough to me to matter. It seems like they are both in the same sonic "corner" of the universe.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I disagree. I have my REDD still and love it. Tried the TG not the same sonically to me, quite a different animal. Though I think they are both essential in a mic locker, TG mic is next for me so i can have both flavors.
Old 3 days ago
Huge REDD fan here. One of the best all rounders ever.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Huge REDD fan here. One of the best all rounders ever.
Hey Paul did you ever try out the Soundelux e47?
How does that stack up against the Redd?
I haven't tried out a new mic for the last 10 years or so.
The e47 was my favorite mic for me but Im afraid I have to try out the Redd :(
thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Eventually this type of mic will have digital conversion built in, and the ability to remotely adjust the mic's on-board controls. Perhaps Chandler and Burl can hook up.
Get rid of the analog cable, get rid of the problem, and throw in a Chandler plug-in or two.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica View Post
Eventually this type of mic will have digital conversion built in, and the ability to remotely adjust the mic's on-board controls.
At Tony Sheppard's post NAMM Tech Breakfast, Barry Ruldolph spoke of the Austrian Audio OC818.

https://austrian.audio/oc818/

He mentioned something about an app that can allow the pattern of the mic to be "changed" post recording with the software.

Sounds like some black magic BS to me....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search