The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crane Song/Dave Hill gear addiction thread Modulation Plugins
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Head

Crane Song/Dave Hill gear addiction thread

So...

I've got a little problem...

You see... I think it all started years ago when I got into playing telecasters... then collected a couple... then built a few.. then moved onto archtop guitars.. then collected a couple... then built a few... then it magically stopped... all the GAS, otherwise known as gear acquisition syndrome, was gone... I literally sold off most of my guitars and now rely on a tele, selmer copy, and an archtop guitar to play the majority of my gigs..

Life seemed easy.. I didn't want to build/purchase/lust over/read about any piece of musical/recording equipment... for over a decade I remained gear consumer information free...

Then a used cranesong flamingo and STC-8 entered my life... and I've been hooked ever since... only, unlike with guitars, I'll NEVER be able to construct any piece of electronics that is as amazing as Dave Hill's boxes... so... I find myself reading everything I can about each piece of gear... watching all the youtube videos..

Their website is totally rad in a "we don't need to have a flashy website, because our gear speaks for itself" kind of way... their hardware interface design is awesome, the features are extremely useful/well thought out, and I truly feel sad every time I have to power down the units because the recording session is over..

I realize that these are just tools to perform a job... however... there is nothing wrong with enjoying the crap out of using your tools, and having a healthy respect for quality gear.

I realize that there are a lot of amazing companies, with absolutely amazing gear on the market right now that is ultimately becoming more and more affordable to the masses... we're lucky that we are in the Renaissance of music recording, and it feels good to know that.

Hello... my name is William... and it's been 13 minutes since I googled a piece of Crane Song gear.

feel free to talk about your Crane Song fueled desires (and stories) if you'd like... I, of all people, won't judge you.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Addict

I have always been looking for a converter for my front-end home rig. I don't need the newest, or the best... different can count for a lot as long as it's quality. Snagged the ooooold 48k HEDD off Reverb recently for 1k... not bad at all for some decent converters and the diode/triode DSP engine. Haven't used it much but it's tiiiiiiiiiiiiite. I'm happy!
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

I depend heavily on Crane Song gear too.

Dave Hill is a genius.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Dave is great, always a great audio engineer as well. He has a nice vintage console in his studio. Pretty sure it's a Spectrasonics but it's been years since we talked about it.

He used to build all the Summit gear for Michael Papp.

Used a couple modded Summit EQF100's in my first mastering rig. Great EQ's for the money.

I've used his head 192 converter for years, still one of the best. Had him build me a STC-8 mastering compressor... before he built a mastering edition one.

Dave is a true believer in great sounding audio. High praise and kudos to him.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Nut
Is it true that he had a hand in the design of the newer avid converters people rave about? If I wasn't so happy with the Orion and Burl I would be looking to pick one up.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs View Post
Is it true that he had a hand in the design of the newer avid converters people rave about?
Yes, that's true.

I'm definitely a Dave Hill fan. The STC-8 was my favourite compressor for 16 years, until I sold it to buy a pair of Titans. I also have 4 Flamingos. And his RA plug-in is pretty exceptional;The Low Level knob provides some of the most natural sounding compression (upwards) I've ever heard.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I depend heavily on Crane Song gear too.

Dave Hill is a genius.
You said to me you think he is God..
I remember thinking you crossed the line there but didn't dare to question because of your slightly manic appearance..
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

I heard that he has some of the best clocked gear in the biz. Wonder why he doesnt pull out a standalone clock?
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

He makes the best "analog" sounding plugins ever. Still to this day, in my opinion, nothing sounds as good as his stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search