The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are the api lunchbox pre's the same as the API 3124 pre's? Consoles
Old 8th February 2004
Gear Nut

Are the api lunchbox pre's the same as the API 3124 pre's?

I'm curious on these lunchbox units...I'm just wondering what model lunchbox pre's are the same as the API 3124 unit. Or are they even the same pre...Are they exact or just "cheaper" clones of the real thing? Thanks...
Old 8th February 2004
member no 666

They seem identical in tone to the 212 modules you'll find in Legacy consoles and 200 series frames... the 3124 with the 4x 2 mixer is a seriously cool item... all the tone of an API mic amp with all the tone of an API summing buss...
Old 8th February 2004
Gear Nut

Hey thanks fletcher...I've actually been checking out your site for a while now...I made a ton of purchases w/ Sweetwater but I really like what your doing...I may be grabbing some stuff from you in the coming months...
Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

API tech support told me that they use the same pre. The only difference between the 3124 and the 512C is one is racked and one is set up for lunch box. Same xformer, same circuit, same pre.
If you just need the pres to record with I would think the 500 series is a better deal plus you can mix and matchw/ Brent Averills, Old School Audio or add some 500 series eqs or comps.
Old 9th February 2004
Lives for gear

When I bought my 3124+, I understood that the input transformer was the same as the one used in there 512 pre-amp and the output transformer was the same as the 550 EQ.
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
When I bought my 3124+, I understood that the input transformer was the same as the one used in there 512 pre-amp and the output transformer was the same as the 550 EQ.

I only know of the 2503 API tranny with 3 secondary windings, I didnt think they had any other trannies with similar attributes. Im pretty sure the 2503 is used in the 550A... as well as the 512 & 312...

someone clue me in? maybe my knowledge on the 550A is wrong, or perhaps it differs between 550A & B's ????

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search