The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix buss metering / clipping on SSL X-Desk 500 Series Preamps
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Head

Mix buss metering / clipping on SSL X-Desk

Hi All,

I'm using an X-Desk, and I'm having a hard time finding documentation for the main metering for the mix buss.

The manual mentions that 0dBFS on the main meter corresponds to 24dBu, but doesn't specify at what point the mix buss is actually clipping. (24dBu is pretty dang hot, but, on the other hand, I believe API 512c's can output 30dBu before clipping, so...)

I'm sure there must be documentation about this somewhere, but I'm having a hard time finding it.

IF anyone has any insights, I'd really appreciate it!

Jed
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

There is more doc on the xdesk on their site. You can change the meter levels by changing the switches under the unit and rebooting. Not sure if this is gonna help or you are just hitting too hard. 512Cs are crazy hot.
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Head

Thanks - really appreciate the reply!
Old 8th February 2017
Solid State Logic

X-Desk has more than +28dBu of headroom, so your AD converters will clip before the desk does. You could always use the Trim pot at the top of each channel to tame hot preamps...?
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Head

Hey Jim - thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know!

Here's a secondary question for you. The X-Desk manual suggests using the Channel Out connections for wiring into the inputs of one's DAW. (I've followed this advice, and have my X-Desk Ch Out DSUB running into an Apogee Symphony.) My question is: when powering down the X-Desk, is the "pop" from the X-Desk's outputs high enough level to cause any kind of problem for the Symphony's inputs?

Thanks very much!
Old 22nd February 2017
Solid State Logic

Should be fine.
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Head

Fantastic - thanks, Jim. Really appreciate your help!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search