The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why don't you like Avalon? or do you love em? Equalisers (HW)
View Poll Results: Avalon VT 737
love it?
34 Votes - 39.53%
ok with it?
26 Votes - 30.23%
don't care for it?
21 Votes - 24.42%
hate it?
6 Votes - 6.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

Why don't you like Avalon? or do you love em?

Ok folks,

I can't understand why so many people are always dissing the Avalon VT737 SP or even the 747 on this forum

We own two 737's and live by them when they're called apon.

We own many high end pre's and the 737's are always getting warmed up along with the others.

So???? What is the problem?!?! not good enough for the money?

I don't get it.

Clean as hell, good color, compressors are ok but not fantastic but you can hear them breath when you want to, and the eq's are pretty decent.

Anyhow,

A poll: Do you like the 737's?, the 747's?, u5?, or any other Avalon stuff.

I'm curious to see what this forum thinks about them

Jason
Old 8th February 2004
Gear Maniac

I've got an Avalon ad-2022 That I pretty much love. Sometimes it's a little too transparent, but usually that's with a less than desirable source.

Jeremy
Old 8th February 2004
Deleted User
I use both the 737 and 747, and have found both to be really good!

I have used the 737 on a whole variety of sources and have always been happy with the results. The compression is just enough and the eq sounds smooth. I was suprised at just how smooth and suitably chunky the sound of a marshall stack was when tracked through a 737 and an sm57.

You do have to be quite gentle with the compression on the 747 but, combined with the cute little eq certainly makes a digital mix sound refreshed. A drum mix bussed through it also sounds excellent.

I'm looking forwards to getting my hands on their discrete stuff as well.

Simon
Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

I only know the 747. I love it's EQ and can get some use out of the comp, although it's not the greatest comp of the world. I have to use the side chain when I work with the comp.
Main applications are: stereo bus eq (sweetener), drum bus comp/EQ and overhead EQ (sometimes comp too)

YMMV Jo
Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

I only know the 747. I love it's EQ and can get some use out of the comp, although it's not the greatest comp of the world. I have to use the side chain when I work with the comp.
Main applications are: stereo bus eq (sweetener), drum bus comp/EQ and overhead EQ (sometimes comp too)

YMMV Jo
Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

Avalon make some really "high end" stuff. Eq about £4,000 + compressor the same, this stuff was raved about.

Then they bought out these other units that look fantastic, but are much, much lower in price. A good engineering friend of mine tried them when they came out and said they looked great in the rack, but were not up to it when compared to their other stuff. If they really were that good, you would be getting loads of posts on here telling people that they must try them out, instead almost everything else gets recommended first.

Most good gear does get recognized, so beware the lack of accolades.

regards

Roland
Old 8th February 2004
Here for the gear

Avalon

I have the AD2044 compressor and like it a lot. I use it just to control level since I do only acoustic music. It doesn't get in the way...
Old 8th February 2004
TML
Lives for gear

The 737 is a great workhorse piece. neutral pre....di sounds great on bass. The eq is the big plus for the unit. It's not a character piece. But the 32 k thing is always on vocals for me.........had a 2055...a nice unit...found that I had the same vibe with the 737 eq...although less eq options. Got it cheap...mad a few bucks and went for some character eq for the drums. Good company.
Tim
Old 9th February 2004
Gear Head

I went from an ART TPS to the Avalon 737. I did some A/Bing with guitar and voice and was disappointed. I was under the allusion that the big beautiful tank of an Avalon would make my vox/guitar/etc sound crystal clear and make my mixes turn out more "professional." Well, since then, I bought a Rosetta to bypass my pres in my 1880 and I do see the difference just in the pres, but it wasn't like I had dreamed. I was a little let down, considering I had spent $1350 on the unit.

Now I have had the unit for about 4-5 months and I have learned its strengths and weaknesses. That Eq IS pretty nice on voice. the comp seems to do alright, except on drums. But all I have to cpmare it to is a Alesis and DBX.

Im glad I have it available, totally, but I am expanding my pre inventory now for more choices. Will I buy another one? Well I have alot of things ahead of it on the list..but, maybe a 2022 in a year or so.
Old 9th February 2004
Lives for gear

Is it just me, or is Avalon long overdue for some new models? Their closest competition have all been releasing new products several times since the last new Avalon box.
Old 9th February 2004
Gear Maniac

The AD-2022 was the first piece of gear I ever purchased where I just went, "WOW." Most of the time everything is a small improvement or different color than before. The Avalon, compared to my other stuff which wasn't great, totally blew me a way. It made a 57 on voice sound awesome.
Old 9th February 2004
Gear Addict

Well, I love my AD2077. It's my main EQ for mastering. I really like the hi freq. band on it. It is so smooth. If I look for a "clean" EQ, I will go for my Weiss EQ. For color, it's either AD2077 or the Massive Passive. But whenever the song needs to have some "AIR" added to it, I always go for the AD2077. I guess I am just so used to the "COLOR" the AD2077 adds to the song.

BTW, I had used 737sp many times and I think it's a pretty decent sounding piece of gear. Considering the price, you are gettng a lot of features out of a single box. Good value.
Old 9th February 2004
Jai guru deva om

I have a friend with a project studio and he loves everything about his 737. I spoke into a Lawson mic through maybe 5 preamps one day to do a little shootout, and the 737 seemed to have a small low/mid hump that just didn't jive with my voice. Nothing crazy, just sort of enhanced in a range I didn't dig.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like it much. Not for $2k.

War
Old 9th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by warhead
I have a friend with a project studio and he loves everything about his 737. I spoke into a Lawson mic through maybe 5 preamps one day to do a little shootout, and the 737 seemed to have a small low/mid hump that just didn't jive with my voice. Nothing crazy, just sort of enhanced in a range I didn't dig.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like it much. Not for $2k.

War
Yeah, I never use the pre. Sometimes the EQ is OK but I haven't been using it much lately.
Old 10th February 2004
Gear Maniac

well .... I have two 737's .. got em about 3 years ago when there was all the hype but I soon fell out of love. Or maybe I never fell in love w/them. Compressor just isn't happening usually. EQ can be useful in a mix on occasion but doesn't knock me out. With the right combo the pre is the best part .. if that's what you're looking for.

Oddly enough I am intrigued to get a 747 eventually. Every so often I look at the 737's and think I should sell em .. get the 747 and something else with the $ left over ... but they're great for stereo DI's on the Keys .... eh heh .... and those mixes where I need another EQ
Old 10th February 2004
Re: Why don't you like Avalon? or do you love em?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Poulin
Anyhow,

A poll: Do you like the 737's?, the 747's?, u5?, or any other Avalon stuff.

I'm curious to see what this forum thinks about them

Jason
Don't personally like the 2055 or even worse the 2044.

I do like the 2077(cool mastering EQ) and the U5.

The 747 works on specific things(not for everything).

Same goes for the 737, for certain vocalists its right on, for others its too "cloudy".

At times i've owned all(except for the 2077).

Currently the only Avalon in my rack is the 747 and U5.
Old 10th February 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Why don't you like Avalon? or do you love em?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Don't personally like the 2055 or even worse the 2044.

I do like the 2077(cool mastering EQ) and the U5.
This seems contradictory, Thrill;

Aren't the 2055/77 essentially the same units (excepting the gold stepped switches)???

Personally, I dig the 2055 too... YMMV
Old 10th February 2004
Re: Re: Re: Why don't you like Avalon? or do you love em?

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
This seems contradictory, Thrill;

Aren't the 2055/77 essentially the same units (excepting the gold stepped switches)???

Personally, I dig the 2055 too... YMMV
The 2077 is more useful(because of the stepped switches) and it sounds different(much bigger, maybe because of the power supply).

I've never liked the 2055. Its always sounded too pillowy for my taste.

Also the fact that the mid section is not totally independent makes it a not as useful.

I've always preferd the GML8200 when i've had the choice(which i do because i own an 8200).
Old 10th February 2004
Gear Maniac

There is rarely a session that goes by where I don't use my M5s, they're particularly well suited to my B&K 4012s for Piano and acoustic guitar. I wouldn't want to be without them. Avalon tech support is exemplary, in the rare occasion when you need it.

7 anything from them I've never tried.
Old 10th February 2004
Gear Addict

I believe 2055 and 2077 use the same model of power supply.
Old 10th February 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by nOiz
I believe 2055 and 2077 use the same model of power supply.
This maybe true, but something in the mastering version makes it sound different.

I've used the one over at Scott Hull's place(Hit Factory mastering) a couple of times and it definitely sounds bigger than the 2055.
Old 10th February 2004
Gear Addict

Well, I only have an AD2077 and no AD2055, so I can't really do any serious A/B comparison between them. Does AD2077 sound bigger or better than AD2055? Well, this queston better left to someone who has access to both units and let them comment on it.

I had used AD2055 many times for mixing at the studio where I used to work. Used it on mix buss, vocal, ag, pno...etc. In my opinion, it's one of the nicest EQ out there. Definitely in the same league as the Massive Passive, GML 8200 and many others.
Old 10th February 2004
Lives for gear

A similar product, the Pendulum Quartet (not the new Quartet II) is in the same price range and has a better reputation. I've never heard one though.
Old 11th February 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by nOiz
Well, I only have an AD2077 and no AD2055, so I can't really do any serious A/B comparison between them. Does AD2077 sound bigger or better than AD2055? Well, this queston better left to someone who has access to both units and let them comment on it.

I had used AD2055 many times for mixing at the studio where I used to work. Used it on mix buss, vocal, ag, pno...etc. In my opinion, it's one of the nicest EQ out there. Definitely in the same league as the Massive Passive, GML 8200 and many others.
Again its a matter of personal opinion.

I had one and wasn't really impressed. In my personal opinion i wouldn't put it in the same league as the other 2 which i still own.

I would put the Sontec and the Millenia Media also above it.
Old 11th February 2004
Gear Nut

I think much of it is overrated, especially the 737. The M5 is good, but overall its pretty average.
Old 11th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiGeek
The M5 is good, but overall its pretty average.
The M5 is average ?
Old 11th February 2004
Lives for gear

Avalon tube designsdfegad
Avalon all discrete designs
Old 13th February 2004
More cowbell!

hehe, im surprized C. Lambrects hasnt chimed in with his love of the 2022 :-)
Old 13th February 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by K.C.
The M5 is average ?
No, the M5 is good. The rest are average.
Old 13th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiGeek
No, the M5 is good. The rest are average.
OK, we agree there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search