The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maybe moving from SSL to Audient Summing Mixers
Old 6th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Maybe moving from SSL to Audient

Hi Guys,

I currently have an SSL X desk and SSL Sigma and love them both. Great pieces of kit.

Over the last while though ive been swaying towards a larger console that can use a bigger selection of outboard. ie once piece of kit that can do all...

Thinking of picking up the Audient ASP4816. Clean board with bigger routing capacity.

Any advice is welcome.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Any insight guys.. Any Audient users out there ?
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

What does the audient run?
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Addict

I found it to be a ''poor mans SSL''

Its a decent board for the price, and will cover pretty much all your needs.

The one thing that threw me off is the inconsistency of the quality per channel.
For example, the Pan pot on channel one was very smooth, while the one channel 2 felt cheap and loose.
These little things were all over the desk.

I'm sure it didn't impact the quality of the desk itself, but it threw me off a couple of times because you would expect every channel to atleast ''feel'' the same.

Great board none the less though!
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Well, I haven't used the SSL desks, but I have had an ASP4816 for the past 4-5 years. The routing options are super flexible and will integrate a ton of outboard with separate insert send and returns for both the DAW/Tape returns and Mic/Line inputs as well as Mix bus inserts and inserts on each of the 8 sub groups. I've not found the channels to be inconsistent on my board, and it's an early one. I have my rooms mic lines going to an xlr pbay and hard wired to the 16 channels of the desk with a bunch of outboard mic preamps also patched to the bay and into several of the 4816 line inputs. The desk can really give you around 28-32 inputs with the 16 channels plus 4 x stereo ins plus 8 x line-ins (alt sub group inputs), so if I were to buy another converter (currently have an Aurora 16 plus Ensemble via adat) I would likely to look at 24ch minimum or ideally one of the new Aurora 32ch units. As the name suggests it can provide up to 48 channels on mix down, so maybe the more ADDA available the better. I've not had an issue with the console in the almost 5 years I've had it.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Thanks stevelindsay... How does it sound when you sum out from the daw and does the bus compressor add much ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search