The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brauner Phantom C AE distorting Condenser Microphones
Old 5th February 2017
Here for the gear

Brauner Phantom C AE distorting

Hi all,

I'm reposting this in high end as it didn't really get any response in low end (except for one person who said it was more a high end question)

Long time lurker first time poster. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, it doesn't seem so cut and dried as the phantom c ae is a cheaper offering from a high end company.

Anyway the situation is that my recently acquired microphone sounds great on quieter sources but as soon as I stick it in the vicinity of a moderately loud instrument amp or drums, it distorts pretty badly. It's a high output mic and my initial assumption was that it was just overdriving the front end of the preamp.

However having inserted an inline pad between mic and preamp with up to 40db attenuation, I'm stumped. The signal gets quieter but the distortion sounds much the same. It doesn't make sense for the microphone to be distorting as it has a 142db spl rating. But I'm not sure how else to explain the situation. Anyone else had this experience, or got a suggestion as to what could be the problem?

Before anyone asks, it is a secondhand mic but there are no signs of abuse at all that I can see.

Cheers
Jono
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Send it in to Brauner to have a look at it. There might be a problem with an electronic part. Parts do fail sometimes. Since you are the second owner you have no idea how it sounded when new and I assume you don't have another Phantom C AE to compare it with?
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

I have had similar experiences with both Brauner Phantom and Valvet. Distorts quite a lot in front of drums.
Old 6th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Send it in to Brauner to have a look at it. There might be a problem with an electronic part. Parts do fail sometimes. Since you are the second owner you have no idea how it sounded when new and I assume you don't have another Phantom C AE to compare it with?
Unfortunately I only have access to the one. It does seem something's wrong with it as I couldn't find mention of this problem anywhere on the Internet. Although gainreduction has just mentioned having a similar experience.

I'm hesitant to just send it back to Brauner as I live in Australia and postage alone will be quite expensive. I'll have to check the paperwork that came with it when I have a chance to see if any sort of warranty still applies in my case.
Old 6th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I have had similar experiences with both Brauner Phantom and Valvet. Distorts quite a lot in front of drums.
Interesting, I haven't seen anyone mention this issue til now. Were they your mics? And did anything fix the issue for you or did you just swap the mic out?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search