The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prism Lyra input attenuation Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Nut

Prism Lyra input attenuation

Hi all.
I have a Prism Lyra that I am using to print the final mix. The problem is, the input is about 3.5db higher than my Lynx Aurora and my Korg MR-2000, which were what I was using prior.

The Lyra is clipping badly, and I can't turn down the output of my api 2500 because it will affect the compression and tone.

I tried puting some Whirlwind -10db pads inbetween the 2500 output and the Lyra input, but the signal is reduced way too much.

Prism have been very prompt in replying to my emails, but their only sugestion is to find pads which have less attenuation. I have looked, and -10 db seems to be the smallest step in attenuation that you can get.

I am hoping in the long term that Prism is able to incorporate input adjustment into one of their software updates.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Spig

Last edited by Ski spiggy; 3rd February 2017 at 11:40 PM..
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut

Looking at how the Lynx Hilo adjusts it's input level, it appears to be hardware as opposed to software.
So there will be no joy from software updates.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear
Why not put the pad on. Crank up the monitors. Print through the Lyra then bring up the levels via inside that final print ??? Or possibly fiddle with the threshold of the 2500 as u adjust the output so your kind of "blending " in a sort of way , without affecting your tone as much....this seems a bit odd. You would think you could calibrate it as according ...I've never fiddled with that specific interface but , I assume it's going in via line level after the 2500????
Old 4th February 2017
If you're clipping, but -10dB pads fix it, you're a max of -10dB over. Printing a mix at -10dBFS is not tooonlow. You don't have a problem. Enjoy
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Nut

All good points guys.
My tech is going to bang up some inline pads with adjustable pots to see if they color the sound at all, and if he is happy with them, send them my way to try them out.

Thanks for the responses.

Spig
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search