The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U-47 clone Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd February 2017
Here for the gear

U-47 clone

So Ive gotten an offer for a homemade U-47 clone

The parts are:

-Beesneez K7 capsule

-A short body U-47 house with a tweaked Oliver Archut alternative U-47 tube design

-Cinemag transformer

-EF80 tube

I have heard samples from it and it sounds very convincing and fitting to what I need in a vocal mic, usually I would want to test it out for myself before buying but the offer I got of 350 euros seems too good to pass.

I wanted to know if anyone has a comparable build or can tell me if its a good offer?

what do you guys think?
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

These can be great.

So if the build is executed well and the price is doable, then go for it.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Sounds more like a tribute than a clone. I'm sure it'll sound cool, but it won't sound like a 47.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Oops, I thought it read "I got 350 off the price". But if 350 is actually the price, it's a no-brainer, assuming it works properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Sounds more like a tribute than a clone. I'm sure it'll sound cool, but it won't sound like a 47.
I know these from the GroupDIY forum. I surmise it's either a kit from AMI or from Dany Bouchard. Both rock and sound like a multi-thousand dollar mic.
No mic without a VF14 will sound exactly like an original U47. This also holds for the 8500 dollar Telefunken USA version.
The BeesNeez K7 is top notch BTW. Ask Klaus.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Oh, and since you seem to be in Europe, please check if this might have been a MicandMod kit. If so, let me know.

Welcome BTW.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Beezneez capsule alone is hundreds and hundreds...
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I think I'd opt for the AMI iron. Oli had a ton of experience with that stuff that cinemag may or may not have had. And I've happily installed cinemag iron in projects of mine before.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Beezneez capsule alone is hundreds and hundreds...
And the Cinemag tranny, if it's the CM-2461NiCo, ain't exactly cheap, either.
Huge dual bobbin goodness.
Old 3rd February 2017
Here for the gear

Hey!

So I decided to buy it and it should be on its way now via the post.

I got more information from the seller to make things clearer regarding your questions:

-The body and PSU belonged to a Omnitronic C-10. In the mic body everything has been replaced.

-The tube is a EF80 in this case from the British brand Haltron

-The PSU runs two modified voltages, main voltage is 127 volts and the heater is 5.05 volts.

-The transformer is a Cinemag CM 2510 and the output capacitor is bipolar Roederstein gold 2.2 uF(vintage)(which apparently is because the K7 is a single back plate design and doesn’t have an overdose of low end, 2.2uf instead of 1.

He also told me that he bought different parts from different places and basically copied the original Neumann U-47 schematic so probably not through the groupDIY but I dont know for sure.

Look forward to testing it

Thanks for the welcoming!
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
I think I'd opt for the AMI iron. Oli had a ton of experience with that stuff that cinemag may or may not have had. And I've happily installed cinemag iron in projects of mine before.
+1 for Oliver's Transformer in a U-47 inspired mic
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haraldurthras View Post
Hey!

So I decided to buy it and it should be on its way now via the post.

I got more information from the seller to make things clearer regarding your questions:

-The body and PSU belonged to a Omnitronic C-10. In the mic body everything has been replaced.

-The tube is a EF80 in this case from the British brand Haltron

-The PSU runs two modified voltages, main voltage is 127 volts and the heater is 5.05 volts.

-The transformer is a Cinemag CM 2510 and the output capacitor is bipolar Roederstein gold 2.2 uF(vintage)(which apparently is because the K7 is a single back plate design and doesn’t have an overdose of low end, 2.2uf instead of 1.

He also told me that he bought different parts from different places and basically copied the original Neumann U-47 schematic so probably not through the groupDIY but I dont know for sure.

Look forward to testing it

Thanks for the welcoming!
Congrats.
Enjoy.

Oh, and keep us posted.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

I have a frankenstein mic with a BeesNeez K7 and an Oliver BV314 transformer (with a 12AU7 based circuit designed and built by Mark Fouxman - not U47 inspired as far as I know) - I love it. Originally it had a Peluso 47 style capsule and it sounded good, but imo when I put the BeesNeez in there, it really pushed it into specialdom.
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Addict
Everything I've read about mics like these has been highly positive. I'm giving serious thought to building my own DIY U47, U67, or C12 when I get the funds. The initial build will be a little pricier vs later builds as I need to purchase a good soldering iron, de-solderer, and the necessary tools. I can solder fairly well and follow directions. Like I said, I just need to save some pennys and I'll be ready for my first build.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Maniac

U47 Clone

I came across a website that had Vintage Mic clones. Sounds like a cool project.

I hope that works out for you. Sounds like fun.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search