The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home studio Monitors Under £4K Studio Monitors
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Home studio Monitors Under £4K

Hi all,

Due to circumstances I'm needing to get a home setup in an untreated room to finish some projects over the next few months.
I'm looking to buy monitors around £2k-£4k and some Senn HD800.

Need a near field that will preferably sit on my studio desk. I know the situation isn't ideal but it's the situation I'm in

Tested:

Amphion one15 (loved the clarity, felt it would need a sub though so maybe pair with an EVE/Focal sub)

Neumann KH120 (pretty good over all)

Focal Twin6 be (didn't quite cover the same highs as the Amphion or lows like the KH120)

Any recommendations I should try? The amphions are winning at the moment if I can get another cheaper sub that will pair with them. (Sorry I can be bothered getting all the way through the 160 odd page amphion thread which has turned into lots of words with no real info)

Thanks all
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Full range small speakers.. I'd be looking at Barefoots (I don't know what UK pricing would be on that... especially with the currently stronger dollar.) Any specific reason they have to be on the desk. Even on stands overhanging the desk, it'd be better than directly on the desk from a reflection standpoint. On top of that, you want something that has a limited vertical dispersion to reduce the desk influence. Things that radiate equally (spherically/hemispherically) are not your friend (concentrics and the low-crossover Amphions should fall into this category as they work as point-radiators.) Waveguides (mid and tweeters) that operate on the horizontal plane would be better. When doing your demoing, I'd put up a measurement mic to see what the speaker is actually presenting. The ATC 20ASL is very close to your price range but in US pricing schemes, wouldn't be as full-range as Barefoots in the same price category.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefridge View Post
Hi all,

Due to circumstances I'm needing to get a home setup in an untreated room to finish some projects over the next few months.
I'm looking to buy monitors around £2k-£4k and some Senn HD800.

Need a near field that will preferably sit on my studio desk. I know the situation isn't ideal but it's the situation I'm in

Tested:

Amphion one15 (loved the clarity, felt it would need a sub though so maybe pair with an EVE/Focal sub)

Neumann KH120 (pretty good over all)

Focal Twin6 be (didn't quite cover the same highs as the Amphion or lows like the KH120)

Any recommendations I should try? The amphions are winning at the moment if I can get another cheaper sub that will pair with them. (Sorry I can be bothered getting all the way through the 160 odd page amphion thread which has turned into lots of words with no real info)

Thanks all
I shall sell you my og passive alesis monitor 1's and the preamp for 3875. Plus shipping
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Guru

I moved from the Neumann to the Geithain RL906.

Talk to KMR or SX-Pro (The Studio Shop) in London and go and have a listen.

Both should have most of your short list on demo.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Is a pretty good budget after all..
I'd suggest a neumann kh310 or the atc 20asl mentioned above. (Or any used atc that you could find in that price range).
pentagon is right about the vertical dispersion, will play a big role.

The neumann will go lower of course, both are stellar (and different).

Cheu
Old 3rd February 2017
Most here have missed your "untreated room and desktop situation" by recommending you those beasts . For such situation the Amphion One15s could be a good deal, but as an ATC lover I will also suggest you to check the SCM7 or the new SCM12.
Old 3rd February 2017
Have you thought about PMC?

TwoTwo6 might be in your price range

As are Unity Audio's stuff....

Both epic.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies!
They don't have to be on the desk I guess but space is quite limited and I'm using a decent sized studio desk which my EVE's sat on. I could (at a push) bring the desk forward and lose some room space and use stands.
Never heard the PMC stuff before. Looked into the Unity Audio stuff but as I will be keeping my Eve's i'd like something different than the ribbon tweeter.

I've heard that the Amphion's are much less room dependent which might help my situation. I listened to lots of their models. Started with the smallest which sounded great but I kept asking for the next model up, next model up and when I got the low impact I'm so used to with the eve's it ended up being 3 times the price as the first for the setup around £6.5k I think

Anybody had success with the lower models and a sub? Would the likes of a bryston be an improvent from the Amphion amp..?

Will look into all the suggestions and get down to SX / KMR / Funky Junk.

Need to learn how to quote different people on this thing...

Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Is a pretty good budget after all..
I'd suggest a neumann kh310 or the atc 20asl mentioned above. (Or any used atc that you could find in that price range).
pentagon is right about the vertical dispersion, will play a big role.

The neumann will go lower of course, both are stellar (and different).

Cheu
Cheu convinced me into ATC 20s a while ago, which work amazingly well in a rather small, semi-treated room(14sqm). However, you will need a very sturdy desk for this to sit on it.
I would also take a look at PSI 17, Quested V2108, Genelec 8250(very, very musical, yet accurate speakers, just like Quested). This, plus ATC 20s, Geithains rl904-906 and KH310 are excellent solutions on paper, but depends on your room acoustics.
If you're producing EDM I would also take a look at PMC.

Best!
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac
Psi a17-m
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Slightly over the top end of your budget going by KMR Audios current prices in the UK but definitely check out the PSI A21M. You might be able to get them cheaper abroad if you buy from Europe.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

If you're in an untreated room I'd go for the One15's and use the headphones to tweak the subs. One15s will get you most of the way - it's surprising how much useful bass info they actually give. The lowend is going to be all over the place in an untreated room anyway.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks again for replies.

As I have never actually used a sub in my setup before, would it be as simple as running Apollo S/PDIF - Dangerous Music Source - 1+2 Amphion Amp / 3 Powered Sub and tweaking the sub crossover?

Or am I missing something in the chain to control the crossover frequencies?
Thanks

p.s I will check out the others too but tried liking the Amphion out of what I've tried so far.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Slightly over the top end of your budget going by KMR Audios current prices in the UK but definitely check out the PSI A21M. You might be able to get them cheaper abroad if you buy from Europe.
Look nice, over my budget atm unfortunately.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search