The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Foote p4s - your favorite settings? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 31st January 2017
Deleted User
Foote p4s - your favorite settings?

Just got a foote p4s plus last week.. and I'm loving it so far.. first step into high-end bus compression for me, and I feel like I will be satisfied with this thing for a long time. I chose it based on what I've been reading here and in other reviews, and I have to say that Roger really is an awesome guy to deal with.. His product and service are at least on par with his reputation IMO, and it'is not always the case in the gear world.

Just looking for opinions regarding the different modes, and what they shine at...

So... what are your preferred settings, based on the contexts of use?

So far I've been using RMS and feedback modes a lot, but I'm still toying with the unit and haven't processed tracks through it yet.!
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Two most used settings over 5 years use are both RMS feedforward, mixes 1.2:1 with side chain HPF on, tracking 3:1 HPF dependent on source. Occasionally use NL mode on some percussive sources, not sure your model has NL as an option.
Old 1st February 2017
The only P4 that has the NL function is the P4DMS, still being made btw.
The P4S SE, P4S ME and P4S plus do not have the NL function.

Last edited by RogerFoote; 9th February 2017 at 05:14 PM..
Old 2nd February 2017
Settings I like on heavy metal or other rhythmic music is Peak mode with Attack= 90ms/10dB, Release= 15-20ms/10dB (between first and second tick)
Ratio= 1.5:1 or so, Threshold to taste.

This adds punch instead of smashing transients. Use some HPF and get some extra bass response, lets you hear those MASSIVE output transformers!
Old 8th February 2017

Last edited by RogerFoote; 8th February 2017 at 07:39 PM..
Old 8th February 2017
I've had the P4s Plus for just over a year. It's a super versatile unit. In fact I just ordered a P3ex so I can run one in peak and the other in RMS when required. That said, before getting the new unit, for RMS I pretty much exclusively used RMS2 mode and always feedforward. Peak mode you have to dial in depending on the material. Maybe now that I have another unit, I'll be investigating the slower RMS mode and feedback options.

Roger, as a point of interest what is the RMS2 timing vs RMS on the P4S plus (I know it's faster, but by what factor?)
Old 8th February 2017
Hi mozumbo,

Hey glad to hear you are using the RMS2 setting.
As for timings, RMS timings are not simple AR timings, so there is no ratio between these 2 functions.

The other important point is mainly academic, but ANY deviation from the RMS detection parameters laid out by David Blackmer in his work on the RMS detector ceases to be RMS, so RMS2 is not actually RMS because we have modified these timings. To good effect though since there are times that RMS mode eliminates too much in the way of life and transient responses for some music, and for my own personal tastes.

In electronic terms, RMS is set by a single capacitor. RMS2 roughly halves that value. It was derived from listening tests.

I have attached a pdf document from THAT Corp.
The Mathematics of Log-Based Dynamic Processors

There is much information on detection, time constants and feedforward/feedback topologies.

Best
Roger
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dn01A.pdf (66.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by RogerFoote; 9th February 2017 at 05:24 PM..
Old 8th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
Hi mozumbo,

Hey glad to hear you are using the RMS2 setting.
As for timings, RMS timings are not simple AR timings, so there is no ratio between these 2 functions.

The other important point is mainly academic, but ANY deviation from the RMS detection parameters laid out by David Blackmer in his work on the RMS detector ceases to be RMS, so RMS2 is not actually RMS because we have modified these timings.

Best
Roger
Thanks Roger (it's Morgan from Mozu here btw). I figured RMS2 was just calculated over a shorter time interval, but you've clarified that for me now.
Old 8th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozumbo View Post
Thanks Roger (it's Morgan from Mozu here btw). I figured RMS2 was just calculated over a shorter time interval, but you've clarified that for me now.
Ah yes, Hi Morgan!
Thanks. I actually made the design decision using my ears, no calculation.
That said, capacitor values narrow the field of choices, so it was simple to implement.

AND, it sounds different than similar timings in Peak mode, so it's kind of a 3rd compression behavior if you will.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search