The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crane Song HEDD 192 AD/DA questions Monitor Controllers
Old 30th January 2017
Here for the gear

Crane Song HEDD 192 AD/DA questions

Hi there,

I'm considering getting a Crane Song HEDD 192 later this year. Since I've never owned a dedicated DAC/ADC before, I just had a few questions that I couldn't find easily answered in Crane Song's manual.

1. I own an Apollo 16 thunderbolt unit and I was wondering if there was any benefit to using the HEDD to feed my monitors instead of the Apollo's dedicated monitor outputs?

2. I mainly plan on using this as a return from a summing mixer into a mastering FX chain. Is it possible to monitor the conversion when the HEDD is converting from analog to digital back into my DAW?

Thanks
Old 30th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntronShedir View Post
Hi there,

I'm considering getting a Crane Song HEDD 192 later this year. Since I've never owned a dedicated DAC/ADC before, I just had a few questions that I couldn't find easily answered in Crane Song's manual.

1. I own an Apollo 16 thunderbolt unit and I was wondering if there was any benefit to using the HEDD to feed my monitors instead of the Apollo's dedicated monitor outputs?
The quality of the HEDD conversion is a significant step above the Apollo. The new HEDD has their Quantum DAC.

Quote:
2. I mainly plan on using this as a return from a summing mixer into a mastering FX chain. Is it possible to monitor the conversion when the HEDD is converting from analog to digital back into my DAW?

Thanks
Yes, you can print into the DAW from the HEDD AD. Then listen back out of the DAW to the HEDD to your speakers.
Old 30th January 2017
Here for the gear

Wicked.

Thanks for the quick reply. All makes sense!
Old 31st January 2017
Thanks!
Old 2nd March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The quality of the HEDD conversion is a significant step above the Apollo. The new HEDD has their Quantum DAC.

Yes, you can print into the DAW from the HEDD AD. Then listen back out of the DAW to the HEDD to your speakers.
That's exactly what I'm considering to do..
As 99% of the time I'm using hedd as my main AD converter as the last element on my summing 2-bus chain..I've been making some comparison between listening its digital AES output while I'm recording its spdif out to make the print...using dangerous dbox as monitor controller using its digital input, or, use hedd's analog output (after digital convertion) and then feeds dbox using analog input.
It sound "different". I don't know if its better or not, it's different. May be hedd's analog output is smoother... and the dbox's DA is more aggressive..
The downside of doing that is when you need to use hedd as DA for mastering..I would need to unplugged it from monitor and feeds analog chain.. (it could be more than useful a double analog output on it )
Old 4th March 2017
Gear Nut

The HEDD is a beast of a machine. Had an older HEDD 192 from the early 2000's and have been kicking myself for years after I sold it. The sound of that thing was incredible and to have the Triode, Pentode and Tape effects built in, was just awesome. You will love it..
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Addict
Can you use this device asa color box and NOT as an ADDA convertor, like you would use an insert compressor? Thanks!!
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

yes you can
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Addict
Thanks!!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search