The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multiple 500 series eqs for mixing 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Nut
Multiple 500 series eqs for mixing

Hey fellow sluters!
I am in the process of building an 500 series "eq" rack with 8 units for mixing
I need an "allaround" eq,not so much color(thats not what i am looking for) with "q" control"...
The plan is to have the same 8 units, same model.
I already have a pair of Kush Electras and a pair of GR32(which would be a a great "clean" "neutral" contestant)

So, i made a list with some 500 series eqs that fit what i need:

SSl 611 eq
Little Devil(thats more colored right???)
Gr32(already have a pair, not a lot of mojo, great for mor narrow cuts0
Speck Asc

Any model/brand i am missing?

Thanks!
Old 28th January 2017
Buzz Tonics are very flexible and sound great. Also Rupert Neve 551 and Heritage EQ Jr are two of my favorites.
Old 28th January 2017
Got a RND 551 two.weeks ago as the first 500 module in my lunchbox. It's beautiful and will never look back.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumumano View Post
Hey fellow sluters!
I am in the process of building an 500 series "eq" rack with 8 units for mixing
I need an "allaround" eq,not so much color(thats not what i am looking for) with "q" control"...
The plan is to have the same 8 units, same model.
I already have a pair of Kush Electras and a pair of GR32(which would be a a great "clean" "neutral" contestant)

So, i made a list with some 500 series eqs that fit what i need:

SSl 611 eq
Little Devil(thats more colored right???)
Gr32(already have a pair, not a lot of mojo, great for mor narrow cuts0
Speck Asc

Any model/brand i am missing?

Thanks!
The GR32 and the SSL fit your requirements.
I'm not a huge fan of the SSL "sound" (just personal taste of course), but the eq's are very flexible, you can sculpt and notch a lot with these eq.. The same goes with the gr32.

I'd also suggest to consider the Avedis E27, it does not have a Q control, but they use the relative Q approach, it means that the more you boost or cut, the narrower the Q gets. Sounds fantastic imho, very different sound from a state variable eq..

Since these are not cheap, you could try to test the plugin version (which sounds pretty good for a plug), so you could have an idea of what it can do for you.. There are a few videos of the plugin that might help you understand these eq before buying them.

I'd also suggest the mighty API 550a, it's a little bit less "refined", also due to the 2db increments, but somehow let you take decision faster.. (At least this is my opinion).

There is a new contender in your category, but I haven't hear it yet.
The new Midas 500 series eq. Although I fear that they're made with the same "quality" as the eq in their new Venice series, which they claim that the eq is taken from their XL3 series, which could be as a feature set, but they don't sound the same to my ears.. pinched, and slim.. I'd not expect a very high quality eq from them.. But again, I've never heard it, these comments are based on my experience with their new Venice series mixer and with the old XL2, XL3 and XL4 consoles (which were on another planet ime). But hey, maybe these 500 series eq are different and/or you might like them.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Guru

The brand new Capi BT 50's,LC25's and 40's are awesome.
Old 28th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
The GR32 and the SSL fit your requirements.
I'm not a huge fan of the SSL "sound" (just personal taste of course), but the eq's are very flexible, you can sculpt and notch a lot with these eq.. The same goes with the gr32
Cheu
I totally agree. The SSL is wonderful for a really tight, solid snap and punch.
The Harrison is a great compromise, a little creamier with those filters. (8 of these would do me - I have 4)
I also love API 560's for bottom end.
Heritage if you want some broad Neve style colours.
Elysia X Filter is great quality/sound/value tool.
Trident or Ocean are good value and sound great for guitars.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear
The new JLM Freq500 look super flexible. Might be a good place to start.

https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/freq500.html
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear
It may be more versatile and more fun to get several different kinds, tailored to what you're mixing. A few channels of fully parametric for surgery, some rnd 551s for smoothness, APIs for drum punch, pultecs for bass and kick, etc.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
It may be more versatile and more fun to get several different kinds, tailored to what you're mixing. A few channels of fully parametric for surgery, some rnd 551s for smoothness, APIs for drum punch, pultecs for bass and kick, etc.
I know that would be the "traditional"choice
Having a mix of colored, fun eqs with "neutral", clean ones.
But for the way i work, thats not the most appropriate.
I am composer/producer working for TV and i only mix my own work.
When i get to a mix i already have the timbre, the "color"i want
During the mix stage the sounds dont change a lot, its more of a "burocratic"cleaning, and little boosts...i am not radically changing the sonic character of any sound.
i already use some outboard during tracking/production, so by the time the mix begins all its left is "corrective"work...no color nedeed.
Having said that, the obvious choice would do those final tweks ITB, but i am slowly going all OTB, so basically i need a hw equivalent of what i use in every track, a Fabfilter eq, not for mojo, just for "cleaning" cuts or little boosts.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear
So fully parametric. I recently got an Alta mods am25. Fantastic value. SSL would be the high-end choice. You can fairly frequently find good deals on used loaded x-racks. Or even racked SSL console modules. There's a great set of 8 eqs and 8 dynamics channels on Reverb now for way less than 8 ssl 500 series eqs would cost new.

Quote:
I know that would be the "traditional"choice
Having a mix of colored, fun eqs with "neutral", clean ones.
But for the way i work, thats not the most appropriate.
I am composer/producer working for TV and i only mix my own work.
When i get to a mix i already have the timbre, the "color"i want
During the mix stage the sounds dont change a lot, its more of a "burocratic"cleaning, and little boosts...i am not radically changing the sonic character of any sound.
i already use some outboard during tracking/production, so by the time the mix begins all its left is "corrective"work...no color nedeed.
Having said that, the obvious choice would do those final tweks ITB, but i am slowly going all OTB, so basically i need a hw equivalent of what i use in every track, a Fabfilter eq, not for mojo, just for "cleaning" cuts or little boosts.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
So fully parametric. I recently got an Alta mods am25. Fantastic value. SSL would be the high-end choice. You can fairly frequently find good deals on used loaded x-racks. Or even racked SSL console modules. There's a great set of 8 eqs and 8 dynamics channels on Reverb now for way less than 8 ssl 500 series eqs would cost new.
Please show me the link gor those modules!
Tried to use the searh in Reverb but could not find!
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Please show me the link gor those modules!
Tried to use the searh in Reverb but could not find!
Solid State Logic Solid State Logic 8 Channel Eq and Dynamics Rack w/power supply Black/Grey
https://reverb.com/item/3738150-soli...ply-black-grey

They look awesome and the guy is responsive. I asked him for more pictures and he posted them.
Wish I could stretch to nab them myself, but it's not happening right now.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Since you mentioned Q control, the SSL and Speck are both nice. Also newer there is the inward brat, looks nice too but haven't tried it yet.

Demo all 3 and pick your favorite.

Another option would be an xrack loaded with 8 black or silver ELS.
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Since you mentioned Q control, the SSL and Speck are both nice. Also newer there is the inward brat, looks nice too but haven't tried it yet.

Demo all 3 and pick your favorite.

Another option would be an xrack loaded with 8 black or silver ELS.
Yeah i just found a guy selling 10 Ssl 611 eq...the black one...i guess i am almost sold, but there is no way for me to test/demo.
Old 29th January 2017
Svedis E27 and Harrison here. Fantastic...
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut
Get a 10 slot lunchbox
2 Avedis E27
2 GR32
2 Kush
2 Little Devils
2 Elysia or SSL

Also get the specks with the standalone kit so you won't have to use 2 slots in your lunchbox. If you want tube eqs best to get them as racks because 500 lunchbox doesn't give enough juice to make them shine
Old 24th February 2017
Lud
Gear Addict

Neve 551 sounds really good. API 550a too. I like my ocean audio but they are pretty colored and no longer made. Be carefull with the inward brat, i've tried to like it but never did, really hard sounding to me, not musical at all. I never used the ssl 611eq but i have owned the 611dyn and lmc+ and they sound really good, musical, so i guess the eq is in the same vein. I'm curious about the jlm FREQ500 Active EQ.
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

I have used the speck and the Great River 32EQ a lot... and I like them - but... the most useful 500 series EQ's I've got are the Kush Electra, and API550a. The Avedis E27 is beautiful also... but the Electra and 550a find their way onto more tracks here than any others.
Old 5th April 2018
Does anyone have any insights or experience with the JML FREQ500 EQs yet?
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Don't know what your budget is but you might be better looking at a small mixer.
You have mentioned that this is part of your journey OTB, for about the same price you could get a good small console and get summing and monitor control thrown in.

8x eq = 2000-3000
Lunchbox = 1000 ish for a good one.

You could get a great old small desk for that or not much more
Old 20th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelanimal View Post
Does anyone have any insights or experience with the JML FREQ500 EQs yet?
I'm curious too! anyone have something to say about it, I just build two LA500A, they are wonderful !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search