The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U87ai capsule orientation
Old 22nd January 2017
  #1
Here for the gear
 

U87ai capsule orientation

My u87ai took a spill the other day. Some minor denting on the grill. I took it off to tap it back into shape. In doing so, I loosened the center capsule screw and I'm not sure how the capsule was originally orientated. Is there a specific front or back to these? I've included a photo of my best guess. There appears to be some red coloring on the base and words written in red marker on each side. Any help we be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
U87ai capsule orientation-image.jpg   U87ai capsule orientation-image.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2017
  #2
Gear Addict
 
bicarbone's Avatar
Well, if it sounds muffled when set up on cardioid then your capsule is probably 180° off... Is it possible to loosen it THAT much, though? (I don't have a clue).
Old 24th January 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Blaine Misner's Avatar
 

send the damn thing to tom onofrio.
Old 24th January 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Klaus's Avatar
 

No need to send the mic anywhere: your pictures show correct orientation of the capsule's front and back sides vis a vis the head assembly. (You may also revise/respond to your original post about the same subject you posted on the Neumann website).
KH
Old 8th August 2020
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Hi all I've just joined this forum.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'd figured better than starting a new one on a similar topic.

I've got myself a brand new U87 ai and I noticed that the capsule is angled slightly downwards towards the front of the mic. Is that factory spec? Or something that should be concerned about? I've had other mics and the capsules have always been level.
Old 8th August 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Klaus's Avatar
 

Even if it's just for peace of mind and not really relevant for recording, the capsule should be oriented fairly vertical to the axis of the mic body, i.e, there should be no lean. And certainly not in a Neumann mic.

You are the second person I know of, who has recently received a new U87Ai with that issue.
It will take reseating the capsule to correct this, but if the mic is under warranty, and if you haven't yet cracked the head screw seal and opened the head, I would return the mic under a warranty claim.
Old 8th August 2020
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Even if it's just for peace of mind and not really relevant for recording, the capsule should be oriented fairly vertical to the axis of the mic body, i.e, there should be no lean. And certainly not in a Neumann mic.

You are the second person I know of, who has recently received a new U87Ai with that issue.
It will take reseating the capsule to correct this, but if the mic is under warranty, and if you haven't yet cracked the head screw seal and opened the head, I would return the mic under a warranty claim.
Thanks for the helpful reply. I was actually thinking of taking it apart and nudging the capsule straight but thanks to you I won’t be doing that now and breaking the head screw seal. I guess it’s not that easy to rectify. Reseating the capsule sounds like a job for a qualified tech.

Do you know what happened to the other case that you’ve seen? Was it returned or did the owner decide to keep it? Just curious.
Old 8th August 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Klaus's Avatar
 

The warranty of that mic had expired, due to the owner's curiosity: he had opened the head to take a closer look.
I reseated the capsule to its proper position.

But that was mostly done to make the owner happy and satisfy his expectations.

Again: a slight lean of the capsule will not affect the mic's performance, as no mic is ever mounted on its stand at exactly 90º relative to the ground, anyway.

Last edited by Klaus; 9th August 2020 at 09:17 AM..
Old 8th August 2020
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Husky Squad's Avatar
If you look closely at this photo, you will see the tilt of the capsule. Your capsule is angled like this?
Picture taken from Neumann Instagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosnake View Post
Hi all I've just joined this forum.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'd figured better than starting a new one on a similar topic.

I've got myself a brand new U87 ai and I noticed that the capsule is angled slightly downwards towards the front of the mic. Is that factory spec? Or something that should be concerned about? I've had other mics and the capsules have always been level.
Attached Thumbnails
U87ai capsule orientation-111.jpg  
Old 8th August 2020
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
Husky Squad's Avatar
I found another photos from thomann site. Two different Neumann microphones and visible difference in capsule angle.
hmmm...
Attached Thumbnails
U87ai capsule orientation-112.jpg   U87ai capsule orientation-113.jpg  
Old 8th August 2020
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
If you look closely at this photo, you will see the tilt of the capsule. Your capsule is angled like this?
Picture taken from Neumann Instagram.
Yeah that is exactly what I see in my microphone.

Not sure what to make of the pictures. Is it just a case of bad QC or intentional tilt? I don’t really see the purpose of the tilt though
Old 8th August 2020
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Husky Squad's Avatar
Try to contact Neumann Head Office via email. My last experience with brand new u87ai QC was frustrating, so I don't even know what to think about this situation.... It would be great if you could take a photo like the ones I published, and send to them. Very interesting what they will answer regarding your problem. I'm worried that the Thomann website has Neumann mics photos with a difference in capsule angle.
Keep us informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosnake View Post
Yeah that is exactly what I see in my microphone.

Not sure what to make of the pictures. Is it just a case of bad QC or intentional tilt? I don’t really see the purpose of the tilt though
Old 8th August 2020
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
[. . .] My last experience with brand new u87ai QC was frustrating, so I don't even know what to think about this situation. [. . .] Keep us informed.
Bummer! I’m expecting to order a new U67 reissue soon. Hope Neumann has/gets their stuff together.

Please do keep us informed.


Ray H.
Old 9th August 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 

I don't think I'd ever buy a used 47/67/67 Neumann,
from a dealer... Unless it was Vintage King.
Even then, having Klaus check it, would be prudent.
Chris
P.S. Two of my best friends, each have U87's.
Might be the only other exception.
Old 11th August 2020
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
Try to contact Neumann Head Office via email. My last experience with brand new u87ai QC was frustrating, so I don't even know what to think about this situation.... It would be great if you could take a photo like the ones I published, and send to them. Very interesting what they will answer regarding your problem. I'm worried that the Thomann website has Neumann mics photos with a difference in capsule angle.
Keep us informed.
Does anyone know the Neumann head office email? Googling only turns up email contact for Sennheiser regional distributors.

Neumann Distributors
Old 11th August 2020
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
Husky Squad's Avatar
Sure. Check out PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosnake View Post
Does anyone know the Neumann head office email? Googling only turns up email contact for Sennheiser regional distributors.

Neumann Distributors
Old 20th August 2020
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
Sure. Check out PM.
Thanks but I didn’t email Neumann yet.

I did however get a replacement from my local dealer and.....the replacement had the capsule angled forward as well BUT not as bad as the first one so I’ll keep it. As Klaus said it will not impact the quality of the recording as we are never perfectly level with the mic anyway.

Out of curiosity, I closely reviewed the Neumann U87ai how it’s made video on YouTube and I noticed that when the capsule was inserted into the grill, it did seem that the capsule wasn’t perfectly vertical. See 3:30 in this video https://youtu.be/RTZy-ThRXeY
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 52 views: 8778
Avatar for vasylek
vasylek 6 days ago
replies: 1291 views: 205106
Avatar for TheShadowV
TheShadowV 20 hours ago
replies: 6117 views: 733530
Avatar for legato
legato 1 hour ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump