The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So I bought a Prism Lyra 2.
Old 19th January 2017
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
So I bought a Prism Lyra 2.

Hi all.
I've been mixing an album which was recorded through Lynx Aurora converters.
In the recording process, the Aurora was adequate, but for the final print going out into an api 2500 and tonelux eq, it was way too much hard work and frankly crunchy.

I first bought a Korg MR-2000s because I bought into the hype. Better than the Aurora, but not musical. Not pleasing to my ear anyway. And definitly not transparent.

I know this is very subjective.

Then I found a 2nd hand Lyra 2. To my ear, it is not particularly transparent in that what you put in, is not what you get out. But wow! It is musical! Really musical.

I also have a Dangerous D box, which I love for so many reasons. But I have stopped using the on board converter. What I thought was clean and precise, is in fact lacking mid range. Snares loose all their body and hi hats and sylibance are profoundly cutting.

I know there will be people who do not like my observations. And that's ok. It's all just oppinion anyway. But with this Lyra, I can make music.

Spig
Old 19th January 2017
  #2
Moderator
 
Trev@Circle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski spiggy View Post
Hi all.
I've been mixing an album which was recorded through Lynx Aurora converters.
In the recording process, the Aurora was adequate, but for the final print going out into an api 2500 and tonelux eq, it was way too much hard work and frankly crunchy.

I first bought a Korg MR-2000s because I bought into the hype. Better than the Aurora, but not musical. Not pleasing to my ear anyway. And definitly not transparent.

I know this is very subjective.

Then I found a 2nd hand Lyra 2. To my ear, it is not particularly transparent in that what you put in, is not what you get out. But wow! It is musical! Really musical.

I also have a Dangerous D box, which I love for so many reasons. But I have stopped using the on board converter. What I thought was clean and precise, is in fact lacking mid range. Snares loose all their body and hi hats and sylibance are profoundly cutting.

I know there will be people who do not like my observations. And that's ok. It's all just oppinion anyway. But with this Lyra, I can make music.

Spig
Interesting conclusions. There's nothing not to like about your observations though. They are what they are. People who get upset about these things always make me scratch my head.

So without any 'feelings' on the subject, and fwiw, I haven't found Auroras to be at all 'crunchy'. Were you maybe hitting them too hard?

Also surprised you found the Lyra not to be transparent. We did a big converter shootout here when my Burl mothership came in and, after some initial problems which came down to the manner in which we had set up the test, found the Lyra to be very transparent. Are you sure it is the input of the lyra that isn't transparent rather than the output of whatever you are feeding it with (if it is the aurora for example we found that to be a little mid forward)?

Interesting to hear about the Dangerous being mid-scooped. Haven't tried that one.
Old 19th January 2017
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Crunchy is probably a lazy, slightly inacurate description of the aurora. All I can say is, I found it very difficult to mix the out buss for some songs. Anything that was delicate.
Heavier material has been far easier.

Interesting that you found the Lyra transarent compared with other converters.
I have limited experience. I used to record with an Akai Dr4d and mixed into a Tascam dat recorder. The conversion never seemed to get in the way of the music.

I went to a MOTU 2408 mk 3, but did not mix into an outbuss comp or eq. Also, I did not find the lack in conversion.

Now I'm on the Aurora. For trackng, it has been just fine. But coming out of the out buss, hitting outboard, and then going back in... Often, it's been hard work.

The Lyra on the other hand, is expansive and yet retains the original sound stage. For want of a better word, it sounds lush. The high frequencies are extremely smooth, and the mid range is very detailed.
So far, it's been a pleasure to use.
Old 19th January 2017
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

I have lynx aurora and it didnt hve crnchy sound..i do hve a lyra and its btter than aurora but lyra has a def color and is not trnprnt...hilo is transparent but lyra sound is deeep and rich
Old 20th January 2017
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Like Trev found in his shootout, I find the Lyra to be very transparent as well. Have owned lots of Apogee, Benchmark, and had a Burl in the mix for awhile... and honestly I find the Prism stuff to be the most even across the spectrum in that mid to upper convertor price range. The A/D on the Lyra/Titan/and Orpheus lines to me seems quite fabulous still. The D/A maybe not as much, but only lacking by a hair. Not enough for me to spend dollars for a separate D/A just yet.
Again, all subjective but I agree with you on the principal that it's a great piece to do music on
Old 21st January 2017
  #6
Hello Spig

Hope you enjoy the Lyra.

Like you I picked one up this past fall, and really like it. Have used a dozen interfaces over the years and the Lyra is two channels of bliss. At first I wasn't too keen on an interface where preamp gain is adjusted solely through an application (so without 'knobs'), however have grown used to it.

The preamps are crystal clear and detailed. I have only done one recording with it and was happy with the detail - could hear my breathing during an acoustic guitar piece.

Only thing I wish they would do is revise the application so that you see the name of the configuration you are running. (IE. So when you save and load a custom profile, the profile name is at the bottom of the Prism App's dialog. --- You out there Prism people?

Enjoy the toy.
Old 21st January 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Prismsound kicks ass and here receives the highest endorsement.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
SEA
Lives for gear
 
SEA's Avatar
 

I might buy a used Lyra 2 this week but I have a a couple of questions.

1. Only 1 headphone out. Would a 2 out 1/4 inch splitter work well like... would it still give you plenty of gain or would it be better to route the headphone out to a separate headphone mixer? If so, what headphone mixer that's not too pricy would you recommend? I have the AKG K712 and might get another set for clients.

2. What about looping out the DA then going through some hardware and printing to the AD for your final mix? Is anyone doing this?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
To me it is the depth that the Lyra AD has that I just love. Not only do you get crystal clear highs, detailed mids, and extended lows, but you get depth in a way that lets you see into the audio. Love the AD.

And yes you can pitch and catch. The Lyra 2 has two stereo outs so you can use one to pitch and one to monitor. You have to set it up in the software router which can be confusing. But once it's set up you get the hang of it. But the conversion is amazing.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
SEA
Lives for gear
 
SEA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
To me it is the depth that the Lyra AD has that I just love. Not only do you get crystal clear highs, detailed mids, and extended lows, but you get depth in a way that lets you see into the audio. Love the AD.

And yes you can pitch and catch. The Lyra 2 has two stereo outs so you can use one to pitch and one to monitor. You have to set it up in the software router which can be confusing. But once it's set up you get the hang of it. But the conversion is amazing.
Thansk Slug! Well, I finally pulled the trigger today and bought a used one from an engineer in TN. He bought it last year and in excelllent condition. He has the rack ears, power cable, an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable ($130 to $150 new)
S/PDIF and AES cables for $1,750.

I figured with those cables it's like picking it up for like $1,500 and change (depending on the cost of the S/PDIF and AES cables). Guess I'm entering the "Big League" now eh? LOL!

Its a good investment that I won't lose $$$ on if I ever resell. It also gets my ears ready for the new HEDD Quantum that has the same ADDA and clock as the Solaris and Intersteller. Maybe next spring or Christmas eh? :D
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Your going to love it and wish u had more channels..lovin mine...so deep sounding
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
SEA
Lives for gear
 
SEA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraudio View Post
Your going to love it and wish u had more channels..lovin mine...so deep sounding
Yeah! I thought about Prism's special where if you buy a Titan you get upgraded to the Atlas for free. However, as a project studio I only use 2 channels max and never record live drums or a band. My drums are midi into my daw and looking at upgrading my kit to the Alesis Strike Pro tbat triggers my drum libs.

Also, Prism I hear has a new interface coming with better connectivity than Titan and Atlas. I don't know if there's any changes in the converters or pres or what so we'll wait and see.

If I want all my gear to connect to the Lyra 2 without swapping cables for my VG99, synths, etc., I though about looking into a patch bay or rack mixer, but in reality, 99% of my work is ITB with samples and VST synths so it's not like I'm constant switch hardware around.

Fun times eh? :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Prisms really are impressive in how balanced they are across the frequency spectrum. The Orpheus/Titan/Lyra family are no longer the most detailed or dynamic converters but they do a great job from top to bottom.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
SEA
Lives for gear
 
SEA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
Prisms really are impressive in how balanced they are across the frequency spectrum. The Orpheus/Titan/Lyra family are no longer the most detailed or dynamic converters but they do a great job from top to bottom.
For the money they're hard to beat. 2 good pres as well. I think that new HEDD Quantum will be killer with the Solaris/Interstellar converters and clock.

So what converters do you like as far as the most detailed?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
For the money they're hard to beat. 2 good pres as well. I think that new HEDD Quantum will be killer with the Solaris/Interstellar converters and clock.

So what converters do you like as far as the most detailed?
I'm also really interested in the new Cranesong stuff. Seems like a lot of good things on the horizon. My Mytek Brooklyn ADC is considerably more detailed, although I miss the top end tonality of my old Orpheus which may still a be bit more balanced.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
SEA
Lives for gear
 
SEA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I'm also really interested in the new Cranesong stuff. Seems like a lot of good things on the horizon. My Mytek Brooklyn ADC is considerably more detailed, although I miss the top end tonality of my old Orpheus which may still a be bit more balanced.
Yeah! The Brook is nice! QES PAD-2 is another one I want to AB with the Interstellar or HEDD Quantum AD.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
SEA
Lives for gear
 
SEA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
To me it is the depth that the Lyra AD has that I just love. Not only do you get crystal clear highs, detailed mids, and extended lows, but you get depth in a way that lets you see into the audio. Love the AD.

And yes you can pitch and catch. The Lyra 2 has two stereo outs so you can use one to pitch and one to monitor. You have to set it up in the software router which can be confusing. But once it's set up you get the hang of it. But the conversion is amazing.
Hey Slug! Just hooked up my Lyra 2 and it's like pulling cotton out of my hears!

I knew it would sound better than my Steinberg UR28M but WOW!

My wife was laying in bed in the other room. I didn't tell her I had hooked it up and played some Michael Franks off of YouTube. Within a few secs she thought "That must be the Prism!" I walked into the bedroom and said "How does it sound?" She said "I can hear every word as clear as a bell, not wondering what they are saying" This is through my studio door open, across the hall way, in the bedroom (door open), and she could hear the difference like night and day!

Now, I still trying to figure out how to get the headset working with my Daw (REAPER) and mute my speakers. Also, how to change the volume with the knob vs. Windows 7 64 in my taskbar.

Now my NEW daw will be built in a few weeks. I want to keep it 100% offline and use my old one for online. Is there a way to set up the Lyra to select which computer I want to monitor from like, maybe have the new one connected via S/PDIF or AES and the other USB (since it will just be for playback)?

I'll pick up an RME PCIe card for the new rig and digitally connect it with the Lyra.

Any Tips?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Glad youre enjoying the prism....lyra with focal spirit pro headphones are sweet
Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Hey Slug! Just hooked up my Lyra 2 and it's like pulling cotton out of my hears!

I knew it would sound better than my Steinberg UR28M but WOW!

My wife was laying in bed in the other room. I didn't tell her I had hooked it up and played some Michael Franks off of YouTube. Within a few secs she thought "That must be the Prism!" I walked into the bedroom and said "How does it sound?" She said "I can hear every word as clear as a bell, not wondering what they are saying" This is through my studio door open, across the hall way, in the bedroom (door open), and she could hear the difference like night and day!

Now, I still trying to figure out how to get the headset working with my Daw (REAPER) and mute my speakers. Also, how to change the volume with the knob vs. Windows 7 64 in my taskbar.

Now my NEW daw will be built in a few weeks. I want to keep it 100% offline and use my old one for online. Is there a way to set up the Lyra to select which computer I want to monitor from like, maybe have the new one connected via S/PDIF or AES and the other USB (since it will just be for playback)?

I'll pick up an RME PCIe card for the new rig and digitally connect it with the Lyra.

Any Tips?
Hi Sea. Great converters. And yes you can have it running USB and digital from different sources. You have to do it in the control panel, which is, well not the easiest to navigate. The manual will help. But it took me a bit and I'm still not crazy comfortable. But simple answer is yes you can run USB and digital in from different sources.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
I don't remember my ADA8 being anywhere near as coloured or compressed sounding as the Titan but I enjoy the Titan and it has a really cool ambience.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
SEA
Lives for gear
 
SEA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Hi Sea. Great converters. And yes you can have it running USB and digital from different sources. You have to do it in the control panel, which is, well not the easiest to navigate. The manual will help. But it took me a bit and I'm still not crazy comfortable. But simple answer is yes you can run USB and digital in from different sources.
The other thing I was thinking is get another rack ADDA (like a mid grade converter) just for the internet and then use a Monitor Controller like the Drawmer MC3.1 which has 2 stereo inputs to go back and forth from instantly.

Also, I could use this as a way to test different converters against the Lyra like the new HEDD Quantum and AB them on the fly.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
I have never experienced any compression qualities in the ATLAS I run here.

It is neutral and never colored.

So I reject this characterization.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I have never experienced any compression qualities in the ATLAS I run here.

It is neutral and never colored.

So I reject this characterization.
I'm glad we cleared that up. Happy tracking....
Old 2 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I have never experienced any compression qualities in the ATLAS I run here.

It is neutral and never colored.

So I reject this characterization.
I have to agree with Paul_G, I've been running an Orpheus for a number of years and compared to the AD-2 and my current Mytek Brooklyn, it does sound a bit compressed. It's not that surprising given that the AD-2 and Brooklyn have around 13db more dynamic range.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
No, no compression whatsoever. How could there be? What would cause it?

No program material that you are working with has anywhere near the dynamic range of the Titan or Atlas or Orpheus.

Maybe you are wanting to say something different??
It is true that 0dBFS is set at +18dBu on these devices. If you are feeding the converter with a piece of gear or a chain with a different operating level ( say+24dBu=0dBFS) then you may run out of headroom on the Prism products. But that is easily solved.

So what are you fellows trying to say when you write that the sound is compressed?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I have to agree with Paul_G, I've been running an Orpheus for a number of years and compared to the AD-2 and my current Mytek Brooklyn, it does sound a bit compressed. It's not that surprising given that the AD-2 and Brooklyn have around 13db more dynamic range.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a strange thing that even with the soft limit off it would still have a slightly compressed sound. I might have to get another old style Prism, as you're right, the headroom on the Titan doesn't come close to the Burl or the Mytek.

I do like the colour of it though.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
No, no compression whatsoever. How could there be? What would cause it?

No program material that you are working with has anywhere near the dynamic range of the Titan or Atlas or Orpheus.

Maybe you are wanting to say something different??
It is true that 0dBFS is set at +18dBu on these devices. If you are feeding the converter with a piece of gear or a chain with a different operating level ( say+24dBu=0dBFS) then you may run out of headroom on the Prism products. But that is easily solved.

So what are you fellows trying to say when you write that the sound is compressed?
Really? How can you make these assumptions without the slightest piece of background knowledge?
I've owned Prisms for 15 years and I use my ears.
Not some narrow minded, dogma.

Truth is Prism have gone prosumer.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
So what are you fellows trying to say when you write that the sound is compressed?
To me, things sound a bit mushed together, and even subtly saturated in a generally pleasant way. The more high end Prisms I've heard have a more sharp and defined sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Really? How can you make these assumptions without the slightest piece of background knowledge?
I've owned Prisms for 15 years and I use my ears.
Not some narrow minded, dogma.

Truth is Prism have gone prosumer.
An asinine comment. What I AM assuming is that you have no program material that contains 115dB dynamic range.

I too, have owned Prism for many decades. It is true that the stand alone 2 channel a/d has always had the best performance. It is much better than the multi-channel units and better than the recent Orpheus spin-offs.

But they are not prosumer and that comment shows that you are just stirring the pot.

I understand all the technical background on converters and I have sophisticated use situations with orchestra and acoustic instruments that would easily show me if there were problems with compressed sound or inaccurate timbre.

There are no such problems.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #30
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
Hi Slug,

If you had to pick between the Lyra 2 or the Burl B2 ADC, which one would you get first?

Looking to get either one for printing and mastering Pop, Dance, Gospel mixes. going to team it up with my Hilo.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump