The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Burl B32 Vancouver vs SSL Sigma
Old 10th January 2017
Here for the gear

Burl B32 Vancouver vs SSL Sigma

Hi

I would like to buy a summing box and can't decide which one I should choose between the Burl B32 Vancouver and the SSL Sigma. I produce mainly EDM and sometimes also pop music.

The SSL Sigma is around 1k more expensive but if it suits better to that music I make, I would definitely go for it.

What do you guys think, which summing box suits better to EDM/pop? Any pro/cons between these units?
Old 13th January 2017
Here for the gear

bump
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Since the sigma uses that true analog whatever thing and the delta control. Can it pan the mono channels? Like all 32 channels in mono with pan capability?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Since the sigma uses that true analog whatever thing and the delta control. Can it pan the mono channels? Like all 32 channels in mono with pan capability?
It's 16 mono or stereo channels. You can pan each mono channel.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
It's 16 mono or stereo channels. You can pan each mono channel.
Thanks Squawk, then what do they mean by 32 channels at mixdown?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast093 View Post
Hi

I would like to buy a summing box and can't decide which one I should choose between the Burl B32 Vancouver and the SSL Sigma. I produce mainly EDM and sometimes also pop music.

The SSL Sigma is around 1k more expensive but if it suits better to that music I make, I would definitely go for it.

What do you guys think, which summing box suits better to EDM/pop? Any pro/cons between these units?
I mentioned this in my reply to your pm, but I'll outline here as well.

Tale of the (not) tape:

Burl B32 Vancouver
- 32 inputs total (8 mono, 24 stereo).
- 2 pairs of stereo outputs (XLR)
- has BX5 transformer option and +6db gain boost.

SSL Sigma
- 16 channels max, mono or stereo.
- Sigma can be automated, for analog volume control.
2 separate mix busses, can be utilized for parallel compression, etc.
- Sigma can be used for analog console automation (has 32 outputs).
- Sigma Delta software is in beta.
- Doesn't work with Eucon controllers.
- Setup can be a bit of a PITA.
- Really requires a patchbay in order to utilize mono channels properly.

Both sound great.

Last edited by Squawk; 16th January 2017 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mentioned this in my reply to your pm, but I'll outline here as well.

Tale of the (not) tape:

Burl B32
- 32 channels total (16 stereo).

SSL Sigma
- 16 channels max, mono or stereo.
- Sigma can be automated, for analog volume control.
- Setup can be a bit of a PITA.

Both sound great.

Thanks a million for this. Made my decision a lot easier.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Squawk, then what do they mean by 32 channels at mixdown?
I'm guessing that they consider 16 stereo channels to be 32 summed inputs, which is technically correct (also has the same number of outputs).

So think of it as 16 channel strips, either mono or stereo. But if in mono, it only uses the left input of the "strip". Which brings up one more point I should have mentioned.

SSL Sigma
- Really requires a patchbay in order to utilize mono channels properly.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a million for this. Made my decision a lot easier.
No problem, glad to help!
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

I should also say that when I've A/B'd them, it is very close, but the Burl has a bit of an edge sonically to my ears due to the BX5's.

That being said, I'm probably going to be selling my very excellent condition B32 shortly in the classifieds, as I don't really need both summing mixers. I've also recently ordered a HG-2, which will in part do what the BX5 option is adding (along with my Sonic Farm Creamer+).

If you want to automate a console though, then the Sigma can do that as well. (I still haven't really got on well with the Delta software yet though).
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

That black box has me wanting to check it out as well.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hey guys. I've added a few comments in the saturation box thread that are kind of related. I did a bit more listening and wanted to convey a thoughts that might be helpful to this thread also...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12376426-post229.html
Old 14th January 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks Squawk! Really appreciate your help.
Old 14th January 2017
Burl

I owned the Burl B32 for a year or so. It sounded huge and was the best Summing unit I have used. But, I realized that I needed a Mixing Console, sold it and bought a Neotek Elite. If you want a high quality big sound, the Burl is very nice.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argali View Post
I owned the Burl B32 for a year or so. It sounded huge and was the best Summing unit I have used. But, I realized that I needed a Mixing Console, sold it and bought a Neotek Elite. If you want a high quality big sound, the Burl is very nice.
Nice! I'd love to get a console too, but the ones I really want are cost prohibitive at the moment (Neve Genesis Black), RND, API... space is limited as well, so S3 suits my workflow. Summing mixer for me is a way to regain some of the sonic benefits of a console.
Old 16th January 2017
Solid State Logic

NAMM is this week... who knows what updates might be announced?

:-)
Old 16th January 2017
Quote:
Burl B32 Vancouver
- 32 channels total (16 stereo).

Correction: 24 stereo channels, 8 mono
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlanyard View Post
Correction: 24 stereo channels, 8 mono
Yikes, my bad. One db25 (1-8) is 8 mono channels. Thanks for the correction!
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Squawk! Really appreciate your help.
No problem. I'd also be happy to run some stems of yours through each unit for you if you wanted to compare.
Old 25th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
No problem. I'd also be happy to run some stems of yours through each unit for you if you wanted to compare.
If you could run some EDM or Dance stems with a bit of bass through both and post that would be insanely awesome!!

Matt
Old 25th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi

Hey man. What did you end up going for?

Im in the same boat producing / mixing EDM/pop. Such a tough choice. Im also entertaining the Dangerous 2 bus + as it has some nice coloration tools. Its only 16 Channels. And as much as id like even 64 channels I wonder in submixing and going into 16 mono channels is fine.
Old 25th March 2017
Burl

I owned the Burl Summing Unit and it sounded amazing.
Old 27th March 2017
Solid State Logic

Quote:
New Sigma Delta V2 software released in February which supports EuCon :-)
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
New Sigma Delta V2 software released in February which supports EuCon :-)
Yeah, great update. However, I ended up buying a V1 Nucleus to work with the new Delta software and Sigma. I prefer using the Nucleus with it, works great!
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyMcFly View Post
Hey man. What did you end up going for?

Im in the same boat producing / mixing EDM/pop. Such a tough choice. Im also entertaining the Dangerous 2 bus + as it has some nice coloration tools. Its only 16 Channels. And as much as id like even 64 channels I wonder in submixing and going into 16 mono channels is fine.
Resurrecting an old thread
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

the latest SSL Delta plugin works well with PT 2018.. and you can flip faders in eucon and control the sigma controls with artist mix etc..., like post HW inserts as in riding a vx volume after a compressor..via protools automation.
solid piece..
Burl is cheaper to buy so theres that, but you might be mostly hearing the trannys on the output.. and could just try a pair of Mic pres on your 2 bus.
either way Burl is a great company doing really good work
Phoenix Nicerizer is a pretty beefy summing unit and you can find one for a decent price..Had one for a while and really liked it esp the panning. Great support from Robin as well

SSL Sigma is really a shrunken board in many ways with dim mono, good center section choices, full vol and pan mute automation from the DAW.. and saving all this with the session

totally next level in many ways

Last edited by rectifried; 7th April 2018 at 05:26 AM..
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

The Sigma sounded a touch more polished and hi-fi to me. Depends what you are going for.
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

What did you end up buying?
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear

I know that this topic has been debated enough. but still would like to expose the following: I have a dangerous D-box and thought to buy the dangerous 2bus plus but listening to the audios of:

https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

I decided on Ssl Sigma or Burl b32. I am more interested in the Burl b32 because it is cheaper and has more channels than the Sigma. but I do not know if the Burl B32 is the best option for me since I mostly work with Hiphop, Pop and Regueton and I notice that the Burl 32 has a lack of low end for this type of music.Will there be a way to install it in combination with the D-box because dangerous has very good tone and definition in the low end, and then so be able to reward the lack of low end that has the Burlb32?

I'll appreciate you comments.
Regards.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search