The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Help: Neve 5059 or DM 2 Bus+ Summing Mixer? Summing Mixers
Old 4th January 2017
Here for the gear

Need Help: Neve 5059 or DM 2 Bus+ Summing Mixer?

Can't find any comparisons between these two. I haven't had the luxury of demoing either. My concern is that the Dangerous Music 2 Bus+ is "too" transparent even with the color options. My concern regarding the 5059 is that for certain genres it may be too colored.

Opinions? Thanks
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear
5059 is open and clean if you hit the chanels at reasonable levels and keep the silk off. Even the silk isn't overly-colored. You can push it, but it's more harmonic emhancement than dirt. Still sounds open and huge.
The 5059 would do just about any genre well, except maybe icy-cold classical music played by robots in a musty auditorium filled with jewel-bedeckd near-corpses.
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks 808KickDrum for your insight into the 5059. I compose and mix/produce primarily film and pop music. Sounds like it would work well. So far no robots : )

Does anyone else have a comparison between the Neve and the 2Bus+??
Old 2nd February 2017
Here for the gear

I had the exactly the same question 3 months ago, an d finally decide to buy the RPN satellite.
I 'm super happy with it, tried different levels (0,+3,+6dB on each fader), and gave me a good idea of how the Satellite sounds...amazing
I mixed 2 records on it , one free jazz acoustic stuff, one electro-pop, and i was either impressed by the machine. I used to work on a 963 studer, wich was superb but lack a bit of precision in the low freq, and always a feeling of too much roundess/too smooth sound.
I once mix an album on a dangerous 2 bus (not the plus version), was cool, the job is done.

For me the architecture of the Satellite is super well designed, it's like a console u can do what u have in mind. For example, I prepatched all the inserts send-Hardware IN-Hardware out-Inserts return, so in 2 seconds I can choose the machine i want to use by routing the correct output from my daw.
The insert sends are ALWAYS active, so that give a lot of possibilities too (parallel compression by feeding a comp then return to another channel, effect send, etc..)
In addition, u can also use the satellite as an inline console, i prepatched from 13 to 16 4 reamps/DI, so i can either by pressing the insert reamp a source , or record synth that i feed directly in bus B for record.

some things the Satelitte lacks IMO :
A master mix insert
A second stereo output A for monitor
Also :
When u patch something wich is not balanced (i have a few old API for ex that are not), even if the insert is off, ur channel will fall from 6 dB...

I don't know if mine is particular , but on each output (A and B), the master fader is not super aligned when i'm between -3 and - 7/8 dB, there's a lost of 0,3 to 0,5 dB on each LEFT output....At 0dB, perfect, at -10dB also perfect, and between those levels a kind of "Gauss bell" with maximum at -7dB.

Rupert neve didn't answer me, i m gonna send back my satellite Thomann to see what is the problem.
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredericsoulard View Post

some things the Satelitte lacks IMO :
A master mix insert
A second stereo output A for monitor
Also :
When u patch something wich is not balanced (i have a few old API for ex that are not), even if the insert is off, ur channel will fall from 6 dB...
I just got one of these, too. I had been working on a Toft. When I plugged in the Neve, everything seemed super bright and clear afterwards.

Yes, the lack of a second stereo output requires a passive monitor controller of you want to A/B between headphones and mains. I (mistakenly) thought that the second output on the 5059 was for this.
Old 2nd February 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks Baskerville,
by any chance did u ever had this L/R alignment problem when u turn down the master rotative fader/pot ?(-0,2 to -0,5 when fader is -3dB ,-6dB)
It happens on both masters, A and B, so i wonder what can lead to such a problem...
best regards
fred
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
Thanks Baskerville,
by any chance did u ever had this L/R alignment problem when u turn down the master rotative fader/pot ?(-0,2 to -0,5 when fader is -3dB ,-6dB)
It happens on both masters, A and B, so i wonder what can lead to such a problem...
best regards
fred
Hey Fred - I JUST bought the 5059. I will check this out today. When you say L/R alignment, do you mean that the panning no longer works or that you get different volume levels from the left and right channels? Did you try bouncing the track to see if it prints this way?

Rob
Old 2nd February 2017
Here for the gear

sorry my english is limited (i'm french)
I mean, for example u just play a sound from ur daw to channel 1 on the satellite, pan this channel to center.
Have the master A (then B ) connected to any daw input
Then u check if at all master levels fader u have the same level betwwen left and right, for me it's perfect when the master fader is at 0dB, perfect also beyond -10dB, then between 0 and -10dB strange things happens (-0,2 to -0,5dB less on the left side).
And this happens to both masters, A and B, on any of the 16 channels...
i checked a lot of times , it s not a cable or patch issue..
thank u very much, have fun!!
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
I had the exactly the same question 3 months ago, an d finally decide to buy the RPN satellite.
I 'm super happy with it, tried different levels (0,+3,+6dB on each fader), and gave me a good idea of how the Satellite sounds...amazing
I mixed 2 records on it , one free jazz acoustic stuff, one electro-pop, and i was either impressed by the machine. I used to work on a 963 studer, wich was superb but lack a bit of precision in the low freq, and always a feeling of too much roundess/too smooth sound.
I once mix an album on a dangerous 2 bus (not the plus version), was cool, the job is done.

For me the architecture of the Satellite is super well designed, it's like a console u can do what u have in mind. For example, I prepatched all the inserts send-Hardware IN-Hardware out-Inserts return, so in 2 seconds I can choose the machine i want to use by routing the correct output from my daw.
The insert sends are ALWAYS active, so that give a lot of possibilities too (parallel compression by feeding a comp then return to another channel, effect send, etc..)
In addition, u can also use the satellite as an inline console, i prepatched from 13 to 16 4 reamps/DI, so i can either by pressing the insert reamp a source , or record synth that i feed directly in bus B for record.

Rupert neve didn't answer me, i m gonna send back my satellite Thomann to see what is the problem.
Fred-
Very sorry to hear we didn't respond to you! Tracking on multi segment stereo pots is always tough, we try for .25 db tolerance, and it sounds like checks out at the levels we tested it at. We can see if there any options for you? Please reach out to service [via the online link- http://rupertneve.com/contact/support/] and cc me please? JonathanATrupertneve.Com Again sorry for any lack of response, we try to do this part well, but sounds like not so much in this case.

Best-
Jonathan

Last edited by [email protected]; 3rd February 2017 at 08:11 PM..
Old 7th February 2017
Here for the gear

Hello Jonathan,
No problem, yeah i'll try again on the rpn site and will cc u.
I'll do some tests this morning and will send them to u, u'll tell me if my satellite seems ok .
best regards,
frederic
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Nut

Bump Anybody out there had the opportunity to work with both?
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Nut

Dm 2 bus + ???? Rnd 5059 ?????
Old 26th December 2017
Here for the gear

Adam, I have a 2Bus+ and it is incredible. Yes, it is clean. Yes it is colored. With the color section, it can be either/or. I want to add another summing mixer for 32 tracks and am researching the Neve 5059 or another 2Bus+.
At the moment, I am thinking another 2Bus+ will be the better option. It is such a well thought out design whose main purpose is to provide pristine routing into the analog domain for digital to analog converters. The unit is mastering quality. If you email Dangerous a question, they will respond with very helpful suggestions.
Either way, both units are well regarded. Since I already own a Portico II MBP, I have the Neve sound I am looking for.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search