The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone Tracking With the Blackbox HG-2?
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone Tracking With the Blackbox HG-2?

The HG-2 is very interesting to me. I love the demos I've heard but from what I've read it seems like most people use it in the mastering phase of things. And that's something I don't do.

So is this unit mainly for the end game or does anyone track with it?
Old 3rd January 2017
Jai guru deva om

You could most certainly track with it, if you're looking for that specific sound (big, driven tube sound). It will easily bring out harmonic info, and when pushed is a fantastic clipping effect.

War
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
The HG-2 is very interesting to me. I love the demos I've heard but from what I've read it seems like most people use it in the mastering phase of things. And that's something I don't do.

I track with it, I use it on bass guitar and sometimes vocals while tracking.
Old 4th January 2017
Quote:

We actually have quite a few users who track with it. One of the most common uses in tracking is synths since they often lose something in the conversion process and can really benefit from the harmonics and saturation. It's also awesome on electric guitars, piano, acoustic guitar and drum overheads. I know of users who even track vocals through one side of it and love it.

Honestly, we imagined it as a mixing box but it has found it's way into mastering rigs, tracking setups, sound design and production studios and even live shows. It's versatile both in terms of the sonic characteristics but also in terms of how subtle or over the top it is so you should be able to use it in all sorts of situations.

If you end up using one for tracking and get a moment, let us know what you're using it for and how you like it. We love to hear how people are using it and as always, feel free to reach out directly if you have any questions at all.

Old 5th January 2017
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I can't wait to track drums, bass, vocals, synths - you name it. I hope it's circling the airport or sitting in a transport hub.
Feel's like a new era is upon us regarding great grit.
Old 6th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I can't wait to track drums, bass, vocals, synths - you name it. I hope it's circling the airport or sitting in a transport hub.
Feel's like a new era is upon us regarding great grit.
It should be in your hands any time! We shipped them out before Christmas so it shouldn't be long now! Thanks so much for being so patient.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Guru

love my HG2.

And the guys came to my house on a Saturday to set up and cal the demo unit I got from VK.
turned out to be a great hang.
these guys are passionate about sound.now that's a GREAT company.
Old 6th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box Analog View Post
It should be in your hands any time! We shipped them out before Christmas so it shouldn't be long now! Thanks so much for being so patient.
Thanks for the assurance, KMR had a warehouse mix up so it wasn't in stock as thought. I can't wait to plumb it in and crunch!
Old 6th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
love my HG2.

And the guys came to my house on a Saturday to set up and cal the demo unit I got from VK.
Great news RB, what I've heard so far is nothing short of incredible.
Old 6th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
love my HG2.

Hey, thanks for having us and thanks for the kind words! We rarely pass up an opportunity to geek out on gear with like minded people.
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

I am also interested in using the Black box HG-2 as a tracking machine
Old 26th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by marssound View Post
I am also interested in using the Black box HG-2 as a tracking machine
You wouldn't regret it. Bass, Drums, Synths even vocals it's great. Not to mention a bus.
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Got mine and I love it.... I've never heard anything do what the HG-2 does.
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Got mine and I love it.... I've never heard anything do what the HG-2 does.
Any new thoughts on the matter?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search