The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Sounds....
Old 21st October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: on that note

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

feel? man, you should check out the video i shot of him... its just ********. the mofo can swing so far. i should post up some of the bakerton group stuff i recorded. great feel to it. do you have Jam Room? check out 'Swamp Boat Upside Down' for some feel. or even on elephant riders 'muchas veces'

bonham has got to be one of the most overrated drummers... i have seen him play so sloppily on so much **** i dont get the infatuation with him. if thats feel, i dont want feel.... i record ****loads of drummers with "feel"

plus, JP is an atomic clock.
Don't have Jam Room. The tunes I got of their's were off one of your links: Speedfische, Gigantor, Slowwurm. I wasn't half as inspired as I was impressed with the drumming. Could likely be that the music wrapped around it doesn't stand up to the potency of Zep. YMMV. I think Bonzo, at the very least, "fit the bill" well enough to help the music kick ass.

Bonzo being overrated? Well, sure. Being in the spotlight doesn't mean you're the best at what you do. But to be honest, I don't think a lot of rock drumming today would sound quite the same way if not for the influence of Bonham and the feel of Zep tunes. He injected his feel into their songs and it's obvious to most people who ever talk about Bonham.

Your idea of feel and mine could be completely different. So either of us claiming we have the market on feel is pointless.

With Clutch, I thought they were better than good, but not quite up to par musically with a band like the Jesus Lizard (and I don't like much of David Yow's vocals). I would be ecstatic to have worked with a band like Clutch though. I haven't listened to them enough yet to form an honest evaluation, but that was my first impression, whereas Jesus Lizard just knocked me down, as did Zep.
Old 21st October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

My own last sentence bothered me a little because if it's great music, for me it doesn't take any evaluation period to recognize the real deal. I'm all into evaluating it at some point after the fact, and great music never fails to make me do so.
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Addict

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: on that note

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jax
[B]
But to be honest, I don't think a lot of rock drumming today would sound quite the same way if not for the influence of Bonham and the feel of Zep tunes. He injected his feel into their songs and it's obvious to most people who ever talk about Bonham.

i think you are absolutely right....as with all great bands the sum is greater than the individuals....with a differnt drummer even a better drummer they may never have produced that magic that good colaborations create....communication of emotion in a song..................
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: on that note

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax

Don't have Jam Room. The tunes I got of their's were off one of your links: Speedfische, Gigantor, Slowwurm. I wasn't half as inspired as I was impressed with the drumming. Could likely be that the music wrapped around it doesn't stand up to the potency of Zep. .
That's not Clutch...
Old 21st October 2002
There is only one

yeah... you are confusing me now... although the GAM drummer on that album kicked ass. too bad i cant find him where i live... he is supposedly in my parts now.

jam room is clutch's self release while in between elephant riders [columbia] and pure rock fury [atlantic]. its absolutely my favorite clutch record, followed by the self titled.

i listen to jesus lizard also... but thats a whole other genre of music. GAM is closer to JL than Clutch is.

regardless, you [or someone else] said that there were no great drummers in the past decade or so and i was just stating thats not true at all. i think Jean Paul [clutch] is about the best as you can find anywhere right now or through out history. he has definately taken what bonham did and advanced it lightyears ahead of what bonham was capable of in his wet dreams. clutch to ME is way better than zepplin, better drummer and robert plant isnt singing [the biggest turn off for me trying to listen to zepplin]... and i like tim sult better than paige on guitar. come to think of it, dan maines plays much cooler bass lines than JPJ.... although he isnt as "technical" as JPJ.

.... another killer drummer, matt abts from govt mule.
Old 21st October 2002
Here for the gear

You got that right!! About Matt Abts. I've seen the Mule about 5 times in Atlanta before Woody died (never did hear how he died) That's how the **** is done. Best "modern" band I know
Old 22nd October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
regardless, you [or someone else] said that there were no great drummers in the past decade or so and i was just stating thats not true at all.
No, I said I hadn't heard anyone who could touch J. Chamberlin or M. Cameron, which doesn't mean I don't think such a drummer exists.

By some brainfart I got GAM and Clutch mixed up. Thanks for the tip. I'll take a listen to Clutch and see what I think. If it's agreed that Bonham was the best known although early catalyst for rock drumming, I'll take that as a given and remove it from the equation. I won't deny that he had feel, though.
Old 22nd October 2002
There is only one

chamberlain was just ******** good. quick ass snare work. its what blew me away when i heard gish for the first time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search