The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AML EZ1073 or Telefunken V672: can't decide. Condenser Microphones
Old 1st January 2017
AML EZ1073 or Telefunken V672: can't decide.

i could get them for the same price. the aml ez1073 1u with the trim knob is 1 channel but has the sweet eq section. the telefunken v672 has 2 channels.
i don't necessarely need the eq as i normaly eq with plugins. my other preamps are la610mki, gap pre73, tla5051 and an analogue addicts uk 60s preamp.
my goal is to upgrade the gap pre, get the "real sound".
the music i make is retro, garagey rockmusic. some sounds in my sig. i love fat, warm, round sounds. sometimes i record drums but mostly just vocals and guitars (electric and acoustic with maximum 2 mics). mostly i overdub.
my best mic is the michael joly hulk 990, followed by the rode nt2a, sennheiser md421 and the surprisingly good ribbon mic from golden age r1 which i use a lot.
my next mic purchase is planned to be something like the jz microphones vintage 67, more "darker" sounding quality mic.
i want one very good sounding pro channel for the important signals.
i don't have experience with real neve and real v672 sounds, so any suggestions welcome.

Last edited by zinzin; 1st January 2017 at 10:14 PM..
Old 2nd January 2017
Mro
Gear Head

Both excelent. The golden age pre is not very good IMO. If you want a "1073 sound" EZ is your thing. Is it build or a kit? You can get the kit from AML for £375.00 + vat. That would be a lot for the Telefunken. But you wrote you would have two channels of the V672. So are those two modules? This Telefunken has only one channel. V672/2 has two output transformers so you can wire it to have two outputs but only one input. It can work as a splitting amp but not as a dual amp. V372D was a dual amp. Another thing is if it's a bare module (modules) you may want to add 48v, polarity reverse and you need to add a gain pot as it was fixed for 34dB I believe. Probably also put them in a rack. If you can't do it yourself it's gonna cost you some more.

good luck!
Old 2nd January 2017
the aml is build from the kit with psu and everything finished likeit should be.
the telefunken is a custom build preamp, haufe trasformator. looks like this:
TELEFUNKEN PREAMPLIFICATORE VINTAGE V672 CON VU METER MIGLIORE DI API , NEVE - #4306659 - su Mercatino Musicale in Preamplificatori
Old 2nd January 2017
Mro
Gear Head

If all was done as good as the front panel it should be great
Hard to say as there are no pictures of the guts.
If you're fine with the price take it. For sure you'll have something more original than the 1073 used by everyone everywhere
If you can test it before buying do so.
Old 2nd January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mro View Post
If all was done as good as the front panel it should be great
Hard to say as there are no pictures of the guts.
If you're fine with the price take it. For sure you'll have something more original than the 1073 used by everyone everywhere
If you can test it before buying do so.
yeah testing would be fine. i am negotiating with seller a testing period, hopefully he will agree ;-)
but the neve would be nice, too. but to be honest i don't need them both. so i have to decide ...
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

The choice is easy.
Old 3rd January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The choice is easy.
well...?
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Definitely get a pic of the guts of the 672, to reconfirm that it's a real discrete Telefunken 672 as opposed to the later non discrete version by ANT. People sometimes try to rack up the later ones from ANT and sell them like they're the early ones.

The transformers inside should looks square and green, to greenish yellow.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Ultimately it's a matter of taste, but it will be a lot easier to get the 1073 style worked on, and if anything goes bad, you have a replacement available more or less.

With the 672, you're in pretty good shape for repairability as long as the transformers don't get fouled. If they do, there is really no suitable replacement being made.
Old 3rd January 2017
i asked for pics on the intern of the telefunken, still waiting. the seller says it's based on the 70s telefunken schematics.
Old 4th January 2017
The V672 is very nice sounding I think.
I dont know how you intend to rack it but beware that it does not have 48V power so this
has to be provided by the custom rack or an external box.
Old 4th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
i asked for pics on the intern of the telefunken, still waiting. the seller says it's based on the 70s telefunken schematics.
'Based on the schematics' suggests it isn't a real Telefunken? Sounds like that is much more of a risk if nothing else.
Old 4th January 2017
Got an AML here for three years now. Multi purposes: The best choice I made for thickering synth riffs, bass guitar or drums.
And for vocals recordings I just have to say that it's the best preamp in my studio (got a Neve VR, SSL Alpha, Liquid Channel...). The trim input is nothing but stellar! If you want presence or rock vocals just play with this knob ! The EQ can be smooth or very aggressive, the trim output pot is nice for balancing input & output levels.
Carnhill transfos are not transparent but if you search for something with a pure 70s vibe AML is an accurate choice.
Old 6th January 2017
ok i went with the aml ez1073. will report when i get it shipped.
Old 2nd March 2017
finally my aml ez1073 arrived and after a quick comparison test with my ua la610 i can say the aml has smoother highs and a firmer bass. did not test the eq yet. looking forward to recording acoustic guitar tomorrow with it.
Old 5th March 2017
some more testing today with my new AML ez1073. played with my Gretsch Jim Dandy parlour guitar, fingerstyle, very quiet so it needs some gain to be heard. this is no scientific test, so i just played the parts twice, just like on some real sessions. no delicate/chirurgic setup for the test.

1) just one pass recorded with my Rode NT5. through the AML ez1073 and through my UA La610. both preamps set rather clean, no EQ, no nothing.

through the UA La610:
https://soundcloud.com/zinzin/rode-nt5-ua-la610/s-ilMbe

through the AML ez1073:
https://soundcloud.com/zinzin/rode-n...ez1073/s-sgJIL

2) again my Gretsch guitar, this time recorded with my MJE 990 Hulk mic. the first few bars are the same as recorded with the Rode NT5, after a little little guitar comes in and some rhythm strumming, both recorded with the MJE mic as well. again no EQ, no reverb, no nothing, just the guitar and different distance from the mics.

through the UA La610:
https://soundcloud.com/zinzin/mje-99...-la610/s-RrZnI

through the AML ez1073:
https://soundcloud.com/zinzin/mje-99...ez1073/s-rxYWs

i can hear the AML smoother in the highs and the bass firmer. again, i tried to have both amps on the cleaner side. will try to push them more on my next session. and i didn't touch the AML EQ yet ;-) looking forward to it.

and finally some pics :-)

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search