The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fader for AML ez1073 (Neve flavoured CAPI missing link?) 500 Series Dynamics
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfishstu View Post
I just picked up the 19" rack aml 1073. It definitely has the goods and has the trim knob. However, on both of my units, the trim only cuts a few db. It won't cut signal or go real quiet. Is this normal for the 19" rack trim knob?
The trimpot on the ez1073pre goes from an off state to full open output and everything in between. It does have a short taper so if it's precision you're looking for you might look elsewhere but it serves the purpose and is there if needed. I'd rather have it than not. I'm surprised it was not included on the ez1081pre. The ground plate behind the 500 panel is the same used for the ez1073pre which has it stamped out already.
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

By default it is about -20dB trim... however, if you fit the Jumper PL28 in place, it goes down to "-infinity".

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Old 22nd November 2017
Noa
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
The trimpot on the ez1073pre goes from an off state to full open output and everything in between. It does have a short taper so if it's precision you're looking for you might look elsewhere but it serves the purpose and is there if needed. I'd rather have it than not. I'm surprised it was not included on the ez1081pre. The ground plate behind the 500 panel is the same used for the ez1073pre which has it stamped out already.

Good to hear this. I can't wait until mine arrives.
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post
By default it is about -20dB trim... however, if you fit the Jumper PL28 in place, it goes down to "-infinity".

Colin

Ha! I have one with that jumper on both pins and one with it on just one pin. I take it that having the jumper on both pins allows the unit to go down to -∞ ?

Boy that's a tight squeeze for that jumper but very cool to have both options. Any whisper of the eq's coming out as separate 500 series units for either of these Colin?
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
Bereich03 Audio has a product called "LC Pad".
This might be the most affordable solution for anyone that already has a 500 series rack.
I'm kind of biased, as i was involved in the process of creating this product,... anyway, check it out:

LC-PAD 500-Series bereich03-Audio

it's not on his website anymore, but i'm sure he'll be happy to take custom orders.
I watched some video presentation of Bereich Audio and it's really interesting piece of gear.. It's really interesting what it adds to a bass drum.. Do you know on what unit/circuit or board schematics it was made? Is it replica of some board circuit or? I would really like to have something like a "missing link" actually something that would act as a fader on a console but the one from Neve console schematics so it's supplement to my AML Ez 1073.. but I must say Bereich has my attention..
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Great
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I don't always use the Missing Link, no. I go without quite a bit actually , especially since I found out that the optimal way to squeeze the pre is earlier in the build of the PCB.

Just to be clear, AML makes a rack version of their ez1073 that has the trim knob feature as part of the build. If I was aware I would have gotten that version from AML to begin with.

I use my ez1073 pair on my mixbus and sometimes squeeze it a bit and then back it off with the Missing Link.

What's the difference in sound if using Missing link after (or maybe before) Aml ez1073 (the version without trim knob) or using a Aml ez1073 version with trim knob?
Old 14th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavengroove View Post
What's the difference in sound if using Missing link after (or maybe before) Aml ez1073 (the version without trim knob) or using a Aml ez1073 version with trim knob?
One is entirely red and the other is a bit more blue. (A wise old owl once said talking about audio is like dancing about architecture).
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
One is entirely red and the other is a bit more blue. (A wise old owl once said talking about audio is like dancing about architecture).
Hha, ha.. Trev you described perfectly like when John Lennon said he wants the sound of the orange ! I guess Api "architecture" impacts it's own flavour to the sound but technically what makes the difference in performance on audio if placing Missing ling after(or maybe before) or using a trim knob on Aml ez1073?
Old 14th February 2019
Quote:
Hha, ha.. Trev you described perfectly like when John Lennon said he wants the sound of the orange ! I guess Api "architecture" impacts it's own flavour to the sound but technically what's the difference in performance on audio if placing Missing ling after(or maybe before) or using a trim knob on Aml ez1073?
I am pretty sure the technical terms is that it just sounds a bit different. For what its worth, I have 8 ez1073s (with fader mod) installed in my API console and they sound awesome ;-)
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
Cool reply!

I've just modded my SeventhCircleAudio A12 preamps to have an output fader: all it took was a T-pad attenuator (like CAPI and Hairball sell). The quick'n dirty way would be to hook it up after the XLR out but there could be a "neater" way of implementing it in the circuit.

Herwig
Don’t the SCA A12’s have an output trim pot?
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Don’t the SCA A12’s have an output trim pot?
Nope.
The gain is 5dB stepped/switch, the output is a 6dB trim pot which is nice for the in-between steps but I looooooooooooooooooooove my API's dirty

Herwig
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
Nope.
The gain is 5dB stepped/switch, the output is a 6dB trim pot which is nice for the in-between steps but I looooooooooooooooooooove my API's dirty

Herwig
Ahhh. You’re right! Thanks
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am pretty sure the technical terms is that it just sounds a bit different. For what its worth, I have 8 ez1073s (with fader mod) installed in my API console and they sound awesome ;-)
You are lucky one with that fader mod and I believe they sound great (mine sound great already even without it)! I have 2 x Aml ez1073 but when I contacted Colin he unfortunately said that he stoped taking orders for trim mods on ez1073 500 series (that were originally manufactured and sold without a trim knob) because it was too complicated to do it, so now I am in some stupid position when I have a very nice product but somehow something is missing without that trim knob because if I go over 40, 45 db on gain knob the signal that runs in to my high quality ad/da converter (Prism sound Titan) is just too hot and that trim knob is just missing so I can't lover signal down a little bit and track my vocals on 50db of gain to get the best from transformer for that purpose.. not to mention how "red" that would be if I include some hardware compressor too, which adds it's own gain, ONE LA500 for example.. It would be sad to sell because they sound great and also looks great as a pair in a rack with my Aml 54f50 so I will probably try to go with some attenuator like "missing link" or something, although I'm not sure is that a right way to go and maybe it's just better to sell it and buy the one's that have the trim knob but that process of selling is a little bit a drag to me so I will probably try the first option and trust in my ears to see if that works.
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
.... if I go over 40, 45 db on gain knob the signal that runs in to my high quality ad/da converter (Prism sound Titan) is just too hot and that trim knob is just missing so I can't lover signal down a little bit and track my vocals on 50db of gain to get the best from transformer for that purpose..
Increasing the gain will not give you more input transformer saturation as the transformer is before the gain control.... it would however give you more output transformer saturation... but the output trim mod is in front of the output stage/transformer so you would then be using it to reduce the level and hence the saturation that you are trying to achieve.....

The problem to me seems that the converters simply cannot cope with the level.... they have a maximum input level of +18dBu (when they are configured as "+4").... a 1073 can easily output more than that....

In my opinion... if a converter cannot handle +24dBu on it's input (or generate +24dBu on its output) it is unsuitable for professional use.

Your solution would be to either buy some professional converters, or put a pad circuit in front of their inputs to drop everything down by at least 6dBu.

You could just use 3 resistors to make a pad... there is no need to go to the extent of buying fancy hardware.

Colin
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post
Increasing the gain will not give you more input transformer saturation as the transformer is before the gain control.... it would however give you more output transformer saturation... but the output trim mod is in front of the output stage/transformer so you would then be using it to reduce the level and hence the saturation that you are trying to achieve.....

The problem to me seems that the converters simply cannot cope with the level.... they have a maximum input level of +18dBu (when they are configured as "+4").... a 1073 can easily output more than that....

In my opinion... if a converter cannot handle +24dBu on it's input (or generate +24dBu on its output) it is unsuitable for professional use.

Your solution would be to either buy some professional converters, or put a pad circuit in front of their inputs to drop everything down by at least 6dBu.

You could just use 3 resistors to make a pad... there is no need to go to the extent of buying fancy hardware.

Colin
Thanks for an advice Colin very, very, much! Now I think I understand a little bit better how everything works in correlation with output trim and how it impacts input and output transformer inside ez 1073. I hope I got it right so as I understood it's best to crank the gain anyway so I affect at least that output transformer and get the saturation that I want. To be honest I already succeed to get that top level sound on vocals, bass and electric guitar (I didn't tracked live drums at my home studio jet) without increasing too much on gain knob and comparing with some reference songs I was really impressed especially because I don't have some 3000$ (and more) microphones and some other gear that famous recording studios have at their disposal so actually it's more a curiosity in possible flavours, and not some need because something doesn't sound right. I think that possible I was wrong thinking that my converter can't handle enough gain because I had no problems last time, few days ago so it leads me to conclusion that crackling I was hearing was probably related with cpu overload and recording with buffer size at 32 samples. Although + 18dBu, probably Prism sound signature "Overkiller" limiter can handle some and then saturate in a way a tape is doing as I can hear. Believe me, Prism sound are TOP converters with unbeatable sound and although some specs I agree could be better, there are also some other ''links in the chain'' important to make some converter/interface great sounding unit suitable for professional achievements. Overall I'm more than happy with the final result I can get from mix using Prism sound converters with my analog pre's, eq's, comps and plugins. Some of the best sounding Pink Floyd albums were recorded using Prism sound conversion. The only problem is that I would need more io because I'm buying a second 500 series rack beside 19inch rack gear that I own!

P.S. I recorded this morning electric guitar trough ez 1073, compressor chain with Shure 57 using Radial Headload so I could crank the gain knob on ez on max. Guitarist commented that it sounds better than some legendary solos from reference tracks we compared with before tracking for real. Great sound !!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search