The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 4K Super techniques Dynamics Plugins
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Head
SSL 4K Super techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
Okay time to chime in... One of the most underused functions on the ssl's is the ability to automate Dessing. I still prefer this technique over the commons: SPL Desser, the DBX 902 desser, and even the waves plug in desser (probably my favorite) since you don't have to over de'ess material that doesn't need it. For the newbies, or people that don't know or just never tried it, I highly suggest you give it a whirl or at least read my incoherent console babble so you can learn something. I'll try to make it interesting. Shesh.

Step #1: Mult the vocal track (or track in question, works nicely on Hi Hats as well, but try not to limit your use of this technique) next to your vocal track, but make sure it isn't the same number of any group send in use because you'll be using your direct outputs. After this, make sure the lights are out in the studio and look at your reflection in the control room glass and flash a "G" sign. [presentation is everything, is it not?].

Step #2: Hit the CR button, which puts the eq into the channel. Filter off all the lows, even cutting lows, and boost as much as you can from 6k - 9k depending on the track in question. (Is it esses? tsks? pisses? male vocal? female? etc...) Make eye contact with your producer and do your best John Tavolta imitation and say "Ain't it cool?".

Step #3: Hit the MON button in your dynamics section. Compress with the fastest attack and release times (put up on the release knob and leave it turned full counter clockwise). Set your ratio to infinity. Your threshold should sit nice around -10 or so, again, depending on the material. At this point, smirk at your second and either go "Ayyyyeeee" like Fonzie, or "Ohhhhhhhweeeee" like Andrew Dice Clay. depending on age. [Any SNL imitations of ANY time era are strictly forbidden during this step]

Step #4: This step kinda varies depending on the console you are on. Press the DIRECT, FLOAT, and READY GROUP buttons and lift the group knob to solo iso the channel. If you are on a 9000J or 9000K analog super dealey wheelly kneely, take off LF Mix (so the large fader doesn't go to the 2 mix) and hit the LF ISO to isolate the solo of the channel. During this step you hard to push an aweful lot of buttons so reward yourself by doing a couple rolling chair, syncopated ice skating moves, depending on how crowded it is in front of the console. Think "Brian Boytano", or "Tonya Harding", no wait, "Christina Yamaguchie", yeah.. that's the ticket.

Step #5: Hit the "LINK" button of the left of the 2 channels. It doesn't matter which track is on which side, which can make finding a channel that doesn't share a group send number a little easier. Right here, look suspicious, take in a very deep breath and look around and then do nothing. Sometimes inaction gets more notice than action itself.

Step #6: Automate the large fader on the channel you hit all the buttons on as your threshold. If you are on the 9000 series, don't let the release time LED's fool you. It shouldn't really matter because your release times should be as short as possible, but if for some reason you did a 1 sec release, the LED's DO NOT represent a 1 sec release time. (never understood that LED release thing myself). Now you can bask in you glory, take off all your clothes, and dance about the studio like nature boy.

Try different varations of this to your liking and keep in mind you are techincally compressing the entire track not multiband compressing. I hardly invented it. Try using inserts on the channel. What about sending to "ess" channel to a verb for a different effect? Ever wanna "De bass" a track? If you haven't tried this, I highly suggest it as it will help you keep from over DESSING a track that only needs it here and there. Don't forget to thank "GOD" at the grammys

GS user e-cue's tip about automating De-essing has got me wondering... anybody know any super techniques for the SSL 4K and 6k desks?

For example, Although it's in the manual, this is useful.

From Console Operators Manual:

"The Dynamics section can be 'keyed' from an external signal by selecting either CH IN and MON or CH OUT and MON. The key signal is taken from the Monitor Input pre-fader, so patching into the Group Monitor Input or Tape Monitor Input will access the sidechain. As the Monitor Input can pick up the module's Group Output (I.e Module 21 can monitor Group Output 21) signals can be routed to the module's Group via the Routing Matrix and be selected to the sidechain Input with the READY GROUP button"

Is there a key Input for the quad comp?

What's some other really cool stuff these babies can do? Any experiences or stories?
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Head
BUMP!!
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

Double Bump
Old 2nd January 2017
Patch the stereo mix insert outputs to the ADC. Skip the master fader and VCA. It's much more open sounding that way and better low end too.

Replace the TL074 quad opamps in the CR monitor card with NOS National LME49740NA. Now you will hear all that missing stuff.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Head
Bump
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Maniac

TY, JW.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search